Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

335i vs 335d

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2011, 04:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i vs 335d

Im looking to my next car early 2012. Ive been looking at something more lairy and in your face like the RS mk2 but the more I read about them there seem to be many underpowered and slower than mountune ST's. Also the STi Hatch but so many engine failures worries me for a car I plan to keep for 3+ yrs. Also the insurance and tax is pretty high for the STi esp 330s.The lure of 4WD for the winter is a plus though.

Ive never been a huge fan of beemers other than the M3's (esp E46 CSL) and Z4M. However there is no denying the performance the 335 has in either D or I guise and with reduced insurance and tax rates (how they get a 3.0 TT petrol in a lower bracket than my FN2 Type R I will never understand). And I do really like the E92 coupe body.

Both seem to have M3 beating tuning potential for relatively little extra outlay. Both are fairly subtle other than the 2 x single exhausts and I do appreciate the sleeper aspect of that esp debadged. The D has killer torque - more so once remapped. Im not a fan of their interiors - most of the ones I see on Autotrader have a hideous light grey or beige leather which looks terrible.

So which is the better car? Im drawn to the petrol as I like a decent engine note and I followed what I believe was a 335i (again the single exhaust on each side) a few weeks back that had some aftermarket exhaust system and sounded great. Diesel of course has better mpg but seem to cost more. A quick check showed the petrol as lower insurance - I guess due to the lower price from new.

Anyway what should I be looking out for in terms of spec etc? Oh I would be buying 2nd hand mid £20k's. Do you lot swap over to winter tyres for the colder months?

Cheers
Simon
Old 29 March 2011, 05:06 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

From what Ive read both cars seem to be fantastic and would be my choice over an Impreza especially the diesel due to that torque and the resale values. The tax band difference is also worth noting although not essential when you are paying that much for a car, never the less it will probably more than offset the insurance difference. Also from what Ive read winter tyres are important with a potent rear wheel drive BMW, although those who have had either will be along soon to offer first hand experience Im sure.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I don't get the beemer drivers who harp on about winter tyres. I've got some budget crap on my 18s that the dealer I bought the car from stuck on - Arrowspeed or something - and during all the snow we had over winter my E92 330d never got stuck. I even bought flipping snow socks for it which never came out of their packaging!

The only benefit IMHO for winter tyres/wheels is to keep your wheels looking as sparkly as poss. Me - doesn't worry me, got a stone chip or 2 on them over winter but barely shows and still look as good (almost as the day I picked it up). Bearing in mind though my wheels are a joy to clean compared to MSports:

Mine:

MSport:

Simon, I would go for the D purely due to the extra mpg, however I'd then go for the 330 (and did!!) as they can be chipped to 335d performance for £500 and will offer around 10mpg if not more better average fuel consumption (assuming you don't hoon everywhere). I think you have to go D bearing in mind fuel costs, the i isn't worth it for this reason IMHO, and BMW diesels seem to offer the best mix between economy and power/fun. (Audi diesels have really only just about caught up).

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 29 March 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:26 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read about 330 vs 335 its surprise but 330 is better. 330 delivery power and torque on all rev not like 335 kick only near to 4k/min.
Old 29 March 2011, 06:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

Both seem to have M3 beating tuning potential for relatively little extra outlay.
The d?

Are you drunk or high?

Where do you want to put your money first? Suspension? Engine? Gear box? LSD?

A Nova could beat an M3 with sufficient coin invested, but it's hardly "beating tuning potential".
Old 29 March 2011, 07:17 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

standard for standard the 335d will be quicker midrange than an E46 M3 as has been proved many times on drag strips but it certainly wouldnt be quicker than the V8 M3 but it would return more than twice the MPG
Old 29 March 2011, 07:35 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
standard for standard the 335d will be quicker midrange than an E46 M3 as has been proved many times on drag strips but it certainly wouldnt be quicker than the V8 M3 but it would return more than twice the MPG
So will it do the 1/4 faster then?

No.

Peak engine torque is just a number, the wheels see torque multiplied by the gear ratio so wheel torque is a function of torque and RPM i.e BHP.

It's like saying oh my diesel Civic has more engine torque at 2 k than your Classic Sti so oh is so much better.
Old 29 March 2011, 07:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of diesel drivers (those who like driving) seem to be going back to petrols these days, mpg is one thing, fast is another but once you get past that they dont have much to offer

I would go for the petrol.
Old 29 March 2011, 07:59 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I have a 335i and love it. I was thinking about the d but as I do less than 10k miles per year I didn't bother. You have to think is the noise worth the extra money. I have the 7 speed dct box on mine and it's brilliant. I don't think this gearbox is available on the diesel.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:25 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both good cars But Id go for the petrol.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
I have a 335i and love it. I was thinking about the d but as I do less than 10k miles per year I didn't bother. You have to think is the noise worth the extra money. I have the 7 speed dct box on mine and it's brilliant. I don't think this gearbox is available on the diesel.
Is "the noise" a hint of sarcasm
Old 29 March 2011, 08:44 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Slightly heavier 535d (mapped) vs e46 M3
Old 29 March 2011, 08:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Had the same dilemma. What swung it for me was that loads of petrols gave 300ish bhp but almost nothing this side of a supercar has 428lbs-ft! The range is handy (mpg on a 335d isn't actually great though) and it just keeps on pulling well into triple figures.335i is a great car but definitely not as bulletproof as the d and slower around Bruntingthorpe too

They are so easy to drive fast too. Not for everyone by any means but on Todays roads, we can't really rev the nuts off our cars everywhere we go.

As for Winter tyres - if it snows, ours stays put and we use our Landy. They are pretty poor on anything but tarmac.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 29 March 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:51 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

i test drove a 535 diesel (heavier than e92 coupe i know), but it didnt thrill at all. was dull.

bought an e92 M3 coupe at christmas,red with the 'hideous' light grey interior (which i really like now), and i have to say its one of the best cars ive ever had (been lucky enough to have had everything from a tuned r33, sl55, rs6 mtm, to a tuned 996tt)

the M3 sounds awesome, is comfortable, classy, understated yet good looking in way an impreza (tuned or not) could never be, and is ****in rapid, seriously, i was surprised how savage it is on full m mode.

sod the fuel consumption, get an e92 m3!!!
Old 29 March 2011, 08:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Some of us have a rather inconvenient thing called a "limited budget" though...
Old 29 March 2011, 08:58 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
What swung it for me was that loads of petrols gave 300ish bhp but almost nothing this side of a supercar has 428lbs-ft!
I like that point and is quite a unique selling point.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Stunned that a "chipped" 535d is faster than a M3 ... any idea on hp/torque/weight of the 535d in the clip?

TX.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
I like that point and is quite a unique selling point.
Wow the diesel marketing peeps got to you.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:13 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Ok then.

Ive always liked the 335d and I liked what Matteeboy said.

Actually I am a long way off liking diesels in general, if you have seen any of my other posts in other threads you'll see that I am quite anti a lot of them but I have a weakness for the 335d.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:19 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Some of us have a rather inconvenient thing called a "limited budget" though...
you can get a used m3 for reasonable money, theyve been around a while now, i bought a used one. depends how much you wanna spend on a 335, may cost more than a used m3 if ya see what i mean.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Having owned a few soot chuckers I can confidently say that if you want a useful diesel, it has to be six oot or above. Four pots are pretty much all grim. Yes our Landy is a four pot but its basically a fast tractor so it doesn't count.

SR - should you ever be in Cornwall, you're welcome to a blast in mine.

Tony - just like you don't like diesels, some also don't like bazzed up ricers. Turn up to a business meeting or smart hotel in yours and they'll direct you straight to the tradesmans entrance
Old 29 March 2011, 09:44 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

OP mentions exhaust note, the D has the exhaust note of a taxi cab!
The I has a savage exhaust note, and with an Eisenmann exhaust sounds like it wants to eat babies!!
The D will be more frugal and have higher torque. The I will be more fun, louder exhaust note, and comes with the double clutch gearbox.
It depends on whether the OP is a poser or not
Old 29 March 2011, 09:46 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
So will it do the 1/4 faster then?

No.
well clearly it does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXndCQeU__k
Old 29 March 2011, 09:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Tony - just like you don't like diesels, some also don't like bazzed up ricers. Turn up to a business meeting or smart hotel in yours and they'll direct you straight to the tradesmans entrance
Is that a sexual innuendo?

FYI I drive what I want not what I want based upon fear of social stigma.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Having owned a few soot chuckers I can confidently say that if you want a useful diesel, it has to be six oot or above. Four pots are pretty much all grim. Yes our Landy is a four pot but its basically a fast tractor so it doesn't count.
Ahem.
Not all BMW four pot diesels are that grim.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tbf that M3 has a horrific start
Old 29 March 2011, 10:09 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

SR - should you ever be in Cornwall, you're welcome to a blast in mine.
Thanks mate, that would be really good but I havent been to Cornwall in around 15 years and not likely to head that way in the near future either but you never know.

I got treated to a ride in an R8 a few weeks ago but we didnt go past 35mph as the driver borrowed it from a friend and just wanted to show off around town waving at people he knew.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Zip - the D3 is a good unit for sure but they all sound pretty grim.

A few six pots and eights sound quite decent.

TdW - how very individual of you. Do you also wear odd lumo socks and holiday in Libya?

I know the guy who owned that 335d - he took many many scalps in it and beat a number of E46 M3s.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 29 March 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:14 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

back to the original topic i think i'd be inclined to go for the 335i as it will still return 30 mpg on a run and comes with the option of a 6 speed manual.All 335Ds are auto/tip only
Old 29 March 2011, 10:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Scooby - not even tip - just auto with flappy paddles. It's a very good auto though.

This reviewer got a bit overexcited but he's not far off the mark:

As accomplished pushing hard on B-roads as it is an effortlessly pacy cruiser, the 335d covers all the bases required for an all-round sporting drive. The driving experience in full automatic mode is fine, but is elevated to a more satisfying level by the paddle shifts on the wheel. BMW has moved away from the left-paddle-down, right-paddle-up, shift pattern and now both levers (positioned perfectly at the quarter-to-three) shift up and down with a pull or push respectively. This is a marked improvement over the more limited functionality of old; expect to see it on SMG cars soon as well. In-gear urge is almost peerless; I can't remember another car that accelerates as cleanly and quickly from low revs, and with such long gearing, in recent times. I include the Audi RS4 and the outgoing M3 in that statement; you have to pedal those cars hard to sustain the kind of pace the 335d does at ease.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 29 March 2011 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 335i vs 335d