Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

306 gti-6: Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2002, 12:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't leave it at that!! What happened??

Edited cause I'm mince

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 5/4/2002 1:35:06 PM]
Old 17 April 2002, 03:35 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Thinking about buying one, have seen a minter for 8.5k, 99 T-plate, 14k miles. But just wondered how they are rated? Any ownership tales of joy or pain? How quick in real world terms?
Old 17 April 2002, 03:45 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Peugeot part costs will kill you.
Old 17 April 2002, 04:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My car b4 the Scoob was a GTi6. Excellent motor regarded then and now as one of the finest of the latest hot hatches. Superb brakes (better than my MY99 4 pots) and great handling, even better on lowering springs - would corner on rails
Parts aren't that bad but not much needed doing on mine (and it was one of the first anyway, a phase 1).

I'd say get one - wicked fun and pretty quick in the real world.......
Old 17 April 2002, 04:12 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally I was after a scoob but am having to wait a while until business picks up again. Probably would have the 306 for 1-2 years then upgrade to a nearly-new impreza.

As you have moved from a 306 to a scoob how much faster would you say the scoob feels through the twisties? What about cornering speed/grip. Obviously the scoob is quicker but would the gti-6 even get close?

Old 17 April 2002, 04:57 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cornering at low speed, not much in it - high speed twisties the scoob slays it A well driven 306 would be close with a badly driven scoob, but if both were averages the scoobs wins every time. They aren't in the same league. But for all your other hatches and 7sec type cars it up there with the best of them

Old 17 April 2002, 04:59 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

oh - and Pug Performance do a manifold which gives 20bhp I think for 600 quid. Should yield about 190bhp
Old 17 April 2002, 05:21 PM
matt555teg-r
Scooby Regular

I had a GTI-6 before getting my Integra, brilliant car but let down by poor reliability :0((
There good for 140mph and will eat any GTi but Scoobys/EVOs and ITR are a step to far ;0) But that shoudn't stop you trying though!!!!! And considering todays prices you cannot go wrong, happy shopping....

matt
Old 17 April 2002, 07:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not every GTI type car Matt (read the now locked VTS Thread in 'Other Cars').

But seriously though, I've never driven a GTI-6 myself but speaking to people that have and having played with them at crail you have to say there good cars. Spacious, still good looking, fast, etc. As a second hand GTI buy you probably can't do much better. Also don't forget that most magaizines still think its one of the best hot-hatches for all round ability despite more modern rivals - tells its own story!
Old 17 April 2002, 08:08 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Peugeot part costs will kill you

Err...

That's tosh, my Pug has been very reasonable to run & service and I find bits to be well priced, even from a main dealer!

Now Renaults are pricey, but not Peugeot.

As for the GTi-6, great car for a fwd hatchback, quick, excellent handling, 6 speed box, leather, good looks, etc...

Still a nice car!

Old 19 April 2002, 12:55 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Went out on an Evo mag meet, one car of which was a Pug 306 Rallye (like GTI-6 but lighter). On a twisty I was having to work my Scoob hard to keep up (93WRX making 265bhp) and it was interesting watching its tail end wag around. I dont think any enthusiastic driver would be bored in one.
Old 19 April 2002, 12:03 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I keep hearing about the 'wagging' 306 backend, and that they are bad news when you lift off in a bend. When you were following it did it look like the car was user-friendly and controllable or an accident waiting to happen?
Old 19 April 2002, 12:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The wagging back end is rubbish!! The car is very controllable and easy to sort out The phase 1 (like I had) had more of a problem with this as they made efforts to cure it on the phase 2. I never had any probs at all, the car was immensly chuckable and great fun to drive.
Old 19 April 2002, 12:17 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Smile

That's good to know. Should get a test drive today hopefully.
Old 19 April 2002, 10:18 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

My brother has one, and I have to say, it was a fantastic drive!

Handling was brilliant, plenty of feedback through the wheel.

Lovely gearbox, nice ratios, revs like a beauty, and looks the t1ts!

Lowered on 17s, and it handled like a dream. For a FWD car, you could throw this thing into a roundabout at stupid speeds, and it just stayed and stayed!

Lovely car.
Old 21 April 2002, 12:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Don't be worried about tail happyness thats all part of the fun. When I first got the VTS I took her to a big roundabout that serves a few large retail outlets late at night (i.e not a person in sight) and spent a few minutes provoking her and catching the tail so that if it happened on a country lane I wouldn't end up in a field - good to learn your cars limits.

The Saxo and probably most hot-hatches need a different cornering strategy to a scooby. I like to hammer in hard and stop the front end from ploughing on with a dab of the brakes. Then you wait a split second and catch the tail with the gas and then its full throttle all the way out. Rapid and fun what more could you ask for?

I'm told with scoobies its better to go in a little slower then just give her serious gas and let the 4WD do her stuff!
Old 21 April 2002, 03:31 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a 306 but only a 1.6 and I'll have to agree with scoobyjawa they are very good cars indeed!!

I almoust regret selling it for my saxo VTS though it's quicker and more chuckable I felt the 306 handle better and gave more confedence.

I even had a go at a scooby on a track day (in the wet)......not a good idea oh those where the days *contunes to talk to himself*

Yes before this opens a can of worms I didn't beat him in fact I went off the track sideways!! (no damage but to my pride) That will teach me

MikeD
Old 21 April 2002, 04:14 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

And therein is the VTS's problem........confidence!

It's like an emotionally unstable girlfriend: If your consistent and nice to her and don't do the wrong thing you'll be fine - but chuck in any uncannyness or something unexpected and she'll punish you. In real terms that translates to a mid bend bump or pot-hole!
Old 21 April 2002, 05:44 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Hence why I got the 106 GTi, which is set up differently to a VTS!

The Saxo feels a lot twitchier and doesn't give you the confidence that it should do. Even though they are almost the same car underneath, they both drive differently.

On trackdays it is amazing how far you can put it sideways and simply bring it back using the throttle and steering. My mate has an EvoVI and we did Elvington last year, he was amazed at how much fun the 106 was. In a straight line I got wasted by him, but he said he'd have loved to play in the 106 and chuck it around!

The 306 is setup very similarly and actually has passive rear wheel steering, to take it one step further.

For a fwd car you will be amazed at how good they are.
Old 22 April 2002, 12:39 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

True she is twitchy but you do learn to predict her and adjust your driving accordingly. The thing that bothers me is you can't decide to make quick progress cross country in the VTS unless your prepaired to give it full concentration. I quite like the idea of being able to press on but in a more laid back and relaxed manner. Anyhoo drifting away from the thread a bit hear so I'll shut up.

306Gti seems to be a good choice of car and I would probably have one myself if it wasn't for the fact I'm hoping to step up from hot-hatchs. Still worried I'd miss the Saxo though!
Old 22 April 2002, 01:08 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

The twitchiest car ive ever owned is actually the scoob and saying that the 2 306 GTI=6's ive owned have been absolutely great (a phase 1 and a phase 2).
These cars are excellent IMHO and reliability isnt really a problem, neither one of the 2 Pugs i owned had any problems (recalls excluded!) but both were superb cars for the money a good choice hot hatch

Tony
Old 23 April 2002, 09:12 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Agree with Tony.
I owned a 99T 306 GTi-6 from new for a year.
Great car. No sacrifice on toys with 6CD chger, Air-con with a sort of climate control, plus extremely practical (I'm an angler).
I owned a PhaseI XSi before this and they both need the same treatment to get the most out of them. That means keep the revs up high and they are really rapid machines (make a good noise too). They need to be driven properly to be appreciated fully.
Oh and that lift of in the middle of the bend? This is a fantastic tool when cornering hard, especially at high speed. Feel the rear end losing grip, lift off a little and the tail snaps back into line. Wonderful!
Get one.
Old 23 April 2002, 12:44 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Feel the rear end losing grip, lift off a little and the tail snaps back into line. Wonderful!
Is that before or after you spin?

Old 23 April 2002, 12:59 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Steering is way nicer than the Scoob and the ride is more comfortable (How DO Peugeot do that...?).

Driving postion wasn't too great for me though and you get more wind noise.

Lovely car though, I miss mine.
Old 23 April 2002, 01:37 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the constructive feedback, I've driven the car now and love it It's in excellent condition, has only done 14k and looks and smells like new!

The only thing I noticed when I drove it was that the clutch was a bit sticky (may just need a new cable, so no big deal there), but more worrying was the gearbox. Each time I changed down from fourth into third (when engine revs were up a bit) the box crunched and was obstructive Not sure if this means the synchro is screwed, and if so if it's gonna cost a lot to put right.

Have heard a few tales of woe about the boxes on them. So just trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy the car
Old 23 April 2002, 02:28 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Get that checked out professionaly as they arev. expensive to put right.
Mo..........just go!
If you know the car and drive progressively faster you will learn to control the back end with a little throttle lift off before you spin it out.
I have a great article on how cars handle. Carrera C2, GTi-6, Elise, Scooby 5dr and M3. This showed various techniques and times/speeds for each of these vehicles in a number of handling challenges. Considering it's FWD front engine config. the GTi-6 faired extremely well in such company. One point of note regarding ride vs handling is the fact that the 306 have a 'passive' rear steer which makes a big difference to the handling of the whole range compared to cars of a similar ilk.
Check that g-box and then enjoy!
Old 23 April 2002, 03:18 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Wink

Vate, completely agree with the lift off situation, I used to drive a 1.9 GTi and used to love it only I'd use the lift to loosen the rear and tighten the line before re-applying the power rather than lifting once the rear had already gone.

Haven't driven a 306 so can't comment on how different the driving styles must be
Old 23 April 2002, 04:09 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a 106 GTi before my Impreza. Don't believe what people say about the back end being hard to control, it a piece of pi$$ provided you practice round some quiet roundabouts Great for scaring your mates the first time they go in it

Only problem I had with mine was a snapped accelerator cable - think it spent too much time mashed into the carpet

I drove a 306 GTI6 and it feels similar to the 106 - not quite as flickable but that 6 speed box is superb. Cost me peanuts compared to the Scoob as well. Definitely reccomend a Pug GTi.

Richard
Old 23 April 2002, 09:35 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

All I can say is they are great cars. The lift off over steer is an art to master but the first time you feel the back end step out you will enjoy it...trust me!!! If you are lucky you can pick up a lowish mileage 306 Rallye ( stripped out GTi-6, lighter and faster ) for around 6K, and as Tiff said last night you can spend the money you save on track days and fresh rubber.

Will lick all of the modern Hot Hatches ( bar the Civic type R , and yes....even a Saxo Vts easily ). All in all great value for money. I will be keeping my 306 Rallye at least another 10 months till I can afford an Impreza STi.

Quick Reply: 306 gti-6: Any good?