Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Civic Type R thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2011, 08:36 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Type R thoughts?

Hi people, thinking of getting a Civic Type R as the scooby is turning into a money pit. Now how do they compare speed, economy, feel? Has anyone owned one before or after a scooby? I own a UK turbo 2000 with PPP. Thanks
Old 11 February 2011, 08:41 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i had one before the scoob... not the current ctr shape but the one before...

must say i loved it..deffo dont feel as quick and are still fairly thirsty, but are fairly bullet proof and cheap to run....not very clever in the wet tho....

loved mine tho...
Old 11 February 2011, 08:47 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

I had one before the scooby too and have to say I was disapointed with it. Sold my FRS so it was always a downgrade but alot of people go
On about them but I found it quite dull and boring tbh and just doesn't feel fast. Not for me and have to say I wouldnt recommend one to anyone especially if your going from a turbo car.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The EP3 CTR is a good car for a FWD sports compact.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:02 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Overrated at best took one out as I could of had one as a company car and was dissapointed as hell. I had to cain the **** off it to get the best out of it. I ended up with a Seat leon Cupra instead.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:05 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't agree with Daz more on this,unless you take it into the very high ends rev's its useless as a sports car and ive never liked revving the ***** off a car for it to go any!!
Old 11 February 2011, 09:21 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate,ive had 2 ep3 type r,s including a jrsc supercharged one which a did get 300miles to a full tank if it was drove economical not bad for 311bhp,i do agree with some of the comments about the wet etc there not the best,but as far as having to rev them high.this is definatly true with a standard car.but the k20 engine is pretty bullet proof if maintained and not dropped say from 6th to 2nd gear at speed.sending the revs way to high,easily done as the gear box is very close ratio,and imh the best gearbox ive ever used,overall not in comparison with a turbo,d impreza as they have very little torque,hit a big hill and the speed soon drops down with the torque,but i think there a good little car and you can pick them up fairly cheap now.

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2011, 09:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If like the guys above you aren't happy revving a car to get performance out of it then it isn't for you. Notyhing happens under 6000rpm which some people just cannot get their head round.

In the wet the EP3 has trouble getting off the mark, but aside from that they handle and grip well out of the box as long as you remember they are FWD.

Compared to a UK Turbo 2000 there isn't anything in it it despite the fact the Scoob feels faster although with PPP you will have the edge on it just.

Drive one and make sure you push it and see what you think. Certainly cheaper to run than a Scoob, but it may not be for you.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:33 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by birchy2010
I had one before the scooby too and have to say I was disapointed with it. Sold my FRS so it was always a downgrade but alot of people go
On about them but I found it quite dull and boring tbh and just doesn't feel fast. Not for me and have to say I wouldnt recommend one to anyone especially if your going from a turbo car.
same here ,sold my frs as a downgrade and i currently still own my ep3 ctr and i cant stand it either ,from a standing start its slow and i hate having to drop down 2 gears to get anywhere .small fuel tank but crap around town but not so bad long journey driving like a grandad
and i didnt realise it was a 4 seater till 3 months after i had it
Old 11 February 2011, 10:44 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

good cars, well made - i debated one before getting a scooby.
Good performance, but dont let these honda fanboy's trick you into believing you get this real surge of power when on vtec - its not all that, i was pretty disappointed anyway due to hype vtec gets. Turbo FTW.
Old 12 February 2011, 06:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Are you looking at the old shape EP3 or the current FN2? Ive owned the latter for the last two years. As an overall package its pretty cheap to keep on the road. £350 a year ins, 1st yr service was £140, 2nd Ive been quoted £215.

In a straight line on the move it will keep up with a standard impreza turbo. I had a motorway drag with an EP3 when I had an MY00 Classic Turbo and there was nothing in it. Civic has poor traction off the line esp when wet or greasy. The current model and CW edition come with an LSD which improves this a lot.

Other issue is that the suspension is somewhat crashy. Any little bump or dip unsettles it quite easily.

Whoever said there is no power difference in vtec must be blind. Its pretty apparent - not lairy turbo apparent but there none the less. Issue is that power band is pretty small from 5400-8200.

Interior is very good for the money - especially the seats are very supportive and comfy over long distances.
Old 12 February 2011, 09:30 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

FWD and 200 ish bhp with no turbo = not much fun, unless you've got a totally dry road.

Our daily drivers are an Integra DC5 (basically a more hardcore Civic) and Blobeye Wagon PPP. I choose the wagon 9 times out of 10.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

The redeeming feature is definitely the A road 3rd gear overtake (in the dry obviously ) when it hits 8.5k. Never fails to produce a smile
Old 12 February 2011, 09:39 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Marmite car

Ive had two, so obviously love them EP3's

Awesome wee hatchback, vtec is addictive, and the whole no power thing? its N/A at the end of the day.. imo it shouldnt really be compared to turbos even if it does make pretty much 100bhp a litre

i always managed to get mine moving, and once u get the hang of shifting and stayin in vtec they shift!
in the wet they are abit much on the front wheel spinning, just need to be a bit less brutal on the big go pedal
and as above they were developed for lovely jap smooth roads, but they arent too bad on the rough stuff, just dont be stupid
specially as they are known to get the rear out (oddly) and hit trees
did a MAC day with an extraffic cop (were free to new owners for a while due to ctr owners being numptys afaik) and was very enlightining

good boot space, split seats, lots of room inside, bullet proof engine, great gearbox.
not alot in running costs imo to the scoob, bit better on petrol, specially if you keep outta vtec
also with a CAI on they sound bloody awesome
expensive to get decent power gains, around 700 quid to get a KPro remappable ECU addon, will get you about 30-40bhp i think and get rid of the (marketting) dip of power before vtec.
Jap JDM version is about 220 ? (cant remeber) with LSD and a few other nice extras, all in championship white, worth it for the LSD tbh!
jackson supercharger buy/install is about 3k i reckon (With cost of Kpro etc included)?

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/

good owners club

pretty sure ive finished rambling now

like i say ive had two, over a period of about 5 years, never had any trouble with them but normal wear and tear
Old 12 February 2011, 09:42 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

o and one thing ive noticed going from the CTR to the STI
you go alot faster in the STI with out really noticing

where as in the CTR in vtec you always feel liek you are doing 20000mph and its awesome and prob a little less likely to get you in trouble heh
although i did have a CAI which made it a fair bit louder in vtec than standard

edit and more cubby holes in the CTR and perfect gearstick mounting
Old 12 February 2011, 09:43 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Neighbour had one of the current shape ones from new for 6 months. He had problems with the paint, orange peel effect at bottom of doors on one side, not on the other. Interior rattles around dashboard and rear shelf. Handled well, but he said fuel consumption was cra* and the ride was sh*t. He swapped it for a BMW 123D 3 dr which he reckons is quicker and handles just as well, with no torque steer either
Old 12 February 2011, 09:45 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

i got about 35mpg on a long run in my CTR
short urban stuff i got about 24mpg

as for the ride, i enjoyed mine, if a little harsh

the older EP3 shape is better than the newer ones imo
diff rear susp setup on the new ones, although pretty much same engine (same power ish) and heavier car

but as above the DC5 is much better
Old 12 February 2011, 09:48 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/i.j.stu...n/DSCN1935.JPG

miss my 1st CTR tbh, was a minter
Old 12 February 2011, 10:04 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by acstua
but as above the DC5 is much better
Depends what you mean by "better". On a dry and warm spring/summers day on a twisty A/B road with some slow moving traffic to get by, I love it. In nearly every other situation, something less focused is better.

However, the gearbox is a fantastic piece of engineering regardless.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:07 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Im only going from what ive heard on the CTRO
Never managed to own a DC5 (unlike yer self) just CTR EP3's
didnt catch you had one above 1st read through
Old 12 February 2011, 10:13 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Drove a few EP3's (bread van shape) and loved them. The rev needle flies around in 2nd and 3rd. The newer shape is crap compared to the EP3 imo, it just didn't seem as eager to rev.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:32 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Old 12 February 2011, 10:32 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 12 February 2011, 11:33 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Think this is more appropriate
Old 12 February 2011, 11:35 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

haters will be haters :P

Test drive one, you will either be hooked or hate it
Old 13 February 2011, 01:50 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Old ones = Good

New ones = ****e

Can be reved and abused the hell out of TBH, hard to find good examples now although relatively cheap, lucky I had one from new back in 2002 great hoot

P.s will never be as quick as scoob of the line however when you get them going they are prity good for a front wheel drive car in the twistys but scoob will still have the edge because of the turbo espeacially when coming out of a corner.

Last edited by Guv; 13 February 2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 13 February 2011, 08:49 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Loved mine

In fact I could get another, hmmm

dipster
Old 14 February 2011, 10:50 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

cheers guys thanks for all the input
Old 14 February 2011, 11:00 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

let us know if you try one out and your thoughts on it etc!
Old 15 February 2011, 05:51 AM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Ive been considering these myself, The biggest stumbling block im hitting is finding a decent one for a good money. ive been driving up to 100 miles each way to look at a few including the EP3 premier editions unfortunately the one before last was not as described and in poor condition and last weekend one was up for £10k and while interior and millage was good, it was covered with stone chips and scratches. for that sort of money i think id want it perfect.

£10k can also get me a new shape and to be honest i really like the new shape and i doubt id ever drive it to the limits where i now a difference

Good luck in your search

cheers

ian
Old 15 February 2011, 05:44 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Best car ive had m8 Black number 24073, bit ****e inside but never missed a beat.

Once thing to watch on the 03 models is back wishbones sometimes are out of skew. Thus the wheels Track on the inside .

But great car m8 loadsa room get loads in it

Quick Reply: Civic Type R thoughts?