Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

mazda 323 sport estate

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2011, 11:39 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mazda 323 sport estate

I'm going to look at one of these tomorrow, 03 plate, tidy and cheap. will do for a runabout till the rb5 is back on the road. has anyone owned one? what are they like? good points / bad points? anything in particular i should look closely at?
cheers!
Old 03 February 2011, 09:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Which model - New shape???

I am guessing not due to the MY.

I had a MY00 with the 1.8 engine - it was rubbish on fuel 30mpg around town and 35 on a run and had huge reliability problems. The coil packs are fragile as hell on the 1.8 model and cost £320.00+ VAT and only available from Mazda - i checked and no-one else stocks or lists them. For an example you can 'cook' the coil packs just by leaving the ignition on (key in second position with dash lights on) for 5 mins.

The coil packs are unique to this model and not interchangeable - i did a lot of research before parting with £370.00 or so of my hard-earned cash!

The coil packs where replaced as a warranty item in the USA but not UK.

Coil packs do not always show up straight away and often go faulty when hot. I was stranded no end of times our 323 and it used to run on 2-3 or 4 cylinders when it felt like it.

I would stay well clear of the 1.8 variant of this car!

Did i mention the coil packs?

Our 323 was THE most unreliable car i have ever owned!

Last edited by The Zohan; 03 February 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03 February 2011, 05:00 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Paul, it's the last of the old shape, 2lt sport.
All the reviews I've read about them are very good, bullet proof engines ect. and hold their value well. I always like to hear from past owners too though.
The one i'm looking at has fsh and only 38k. Still not decided though.
Old 03 February 2011, 05:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mslorach
Cheers for the info Paul, it's the last of the old shape, 2lt sport.
All the reviews I've read about them are very good, bullet proof engines ect. and hold their value well. I always like to hear from past owners too though.
The one i'm looking at has fsh and only 38k. Still not decided though.
Try here - http://www.club323f.com/forum/ - i believe that model designation is 'BJ'

I also had a 2L mazda 626 my99 and it was the second least reliable car we owned, took it back to the dealership (six times in 8 weeks) and eventually got our money back. Idling and stalling problems that even a Mazda Dealership could not diagnose or fix!

TBH the Dealerships seem to be ****e as well and i would never, ever entertain buying another Mazda.

If i was you i would look towards a Honda or Toyota. The Civic is a far superior car and well built, using reliable parts and tech. I have had 3 Honda's and not one of them has ever let me down in i guess 200k off motoring. My current Accord has 107k on the clock and feels like new and runs like new.

Last edited by The Zohan; 03 February 2011 at 05:43 PM.