Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Peugeot 205 STDT........

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 12:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Peugeot 205 STDT........

Does anyone know much about this Turbo Diesel Model of 205?

I am looking into swapping my 95 Mardi Gras 205 Turbo Diesel. And I have noticed that the 205 STDT (Turbo Diesel) looks like the 205 GTi. Just wondered if it has the same type of suspension and steering as a GTI? Finding the Mardi Gras is not very good for cornering and rather than spend loads of money in getting it to look like a GTI etc... Considered swapping in for a STDT. And before anyone suggests swapping for a GTi, the Mardi Gras is my daily commute to and from work, and Have a PPP 03 STi for nights and weekends.
Old 10 May 2005, 12:27 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Get a GTI. The STDT only 'looks' like a GTI, so no it doesn't have the same steering and suspesnion, but you can lower the 205 and get some decent shocks, but a GTI would be a better buy anyway.

good luck.

Andy
Old 10 May 2005, 12:32 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Get a GTI. The STDT only 'looks' like a GTI, so no it doesn't have the same steering and suspesnion, but you can lower the 205 and get some decent shocks, but a GTI would be a better buy anyway.

good luck.

Andy
I was considering the STDT as I am averaging 200 Miles a week to and from work, and thats why I ended up buying a diesel. What sort of MPG can you get from a GTi? I take it that the 205 in general can have GTi bits added?
Old 10 May 2005, 12:35 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Get a 306 d-turbo. Handle very nicely, vaguely sporty and economical. I don't think any petrol 'GTI' can be that economical, or just keep the 205 ?!?
Old 10 May 2005, 12:41 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Get a 306 d-turbo. Handle very nicely, vaguely sporty and economical. I don't think any petrol 'GTI' can be that economical, or just keep the 205 ?!?
Hear what your saying. Just fancied something a little bit sporty looking as I miss the Impreza for handling. But hey.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10 May 2005, 01:11 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My 1.9 8v GTi does around 28-30mpg.
Old 10 May 2005, 04:04 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
My 1.9 8v GTi does around 28-30mpg.
How much does it cost you to fill up? And is Superunleaded required?
Old 10 May 2005, 04:19 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

It was designed to run on 4 star so yes really super unleaded is required. You can adjust the timing though so it runs on 95, albeit with a slight drop in power.

Can't remember last time I filled it up - tank size is 45-50 litres I think so I guess around 30-35 quid..........
Old 10 May 2005, 04:44 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

It was designed to run on 4 star so yes really super unleaded is required. You can adjust the timing though so it runs on 95, albeit with a slight drop in power.

Can't remember last time I filled it up - tank size is 45-50 litres I think so I guess around 30-35 quid..........

Ummmm... I get 50 - 55MPG in the Turbo Diesel and costs between 26 - £30 to fill up and from that 300 to 400 miles on a full tank of diesel. Shame the STDT didn't have the same sort of set-up as the GTi but with a 1.8 Turbo Diesel Engine. Now that would have made my mind up.

Thanks.
Old 10 May 2005, 07:12 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

my gti does between 250-300 tops miles to the tank............
Old 10 May 2005, 07:18 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

my gti does between 250-300 tops miles to the tank............
Is that with a heavy foot? Currently I take back roads to get to work so I am using the gears quite a bit as well as some quite country lanes. Very rarely use the motorway.
Just want to know the full facts, as what you are telling me, I am very tempted about a 1.9 Gti. Anyone else have any figures regarding MPG?

What is the servicing like on a GTi?
Old 10 May 2005, 08:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I used to run a 1.6 GTi doing 35k miles a year, 75% motorway and 25% DC/country lanes. Used to average 45mpg in that, and I do have a heavy right foot (my current Pugs do about 25mpg)

Drive them carefully and they are good on fuel.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:30 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I used to run a 1.6 GTi doing 35k miles a year, 75% motorway and 25% DC/country lanes. Used to average 45mpg in that, and I do have a heavy right foot (my current Pugs do about 25mpg)

Drive them carefully and they are good on fuel.
Thanks for the info Dream Weaver. The problem is that I do have a heavy foot (You have to for the Turbo Diesel ). So what your saying is that the 1.6 GTi is better on MPG than than the 1.9?

What are GTi's like on tyres? I am thinking about getting an un-modded example with the original 15" Alloys.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:36 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

I also get around the 30mpg for the 1.9 GTI.
It s hard too drive economically because its so much fun.
Hard too judge service costs,especially as they are all getting on a bit now and would depend alot on previous owners.But parts readily available and cheaper than a my Scooby.
I think the tank holds about 50Litres fuel good for approx 300miles and Otimax costs about 90p a litre round here.
Join the Club,I am gobsmacked by how much fun it is to drive,as good as fun as the Scooby.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:47 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aggs
I also get around the 30mpg for the 1.9 GTI.
It s hard too drive economically because its so much fun.
Hard too judge service costs,especially as they are all getting on a bit now and would depend alot on previous owners.But parts readily available and cheaper than a my Scooby.
I think the tank holds about 50Litres fuel good for approx 300miles and Otimax costs about 90p a litre round here.
Join the Club,I am gobsmacked by how much fun it is to drive,as good as fun as the Scooby.
Thanks aggs. Now in quandrey. From what you are telling me the 205 GTi is a must have. Are tyres expensive?
I know I am asking a lot of questions but I never owned a GTi before. And 205gti.co.uk is down at the moment or I would ask them there.
Currently have the 03 STI for weekends due to the inital costs of tyres etc... And don't really want to be spending as much on a daily commute. But could probably live with 30MPG especially as I am hearing a lot about Tesco 99 RON petrol at a lower price than optimax.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:08 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

I paid £57 for Eagle F1 s recently, and did not really shop around.
I bought my 205 as fun commuter car and part time track car, as I park on construction sites and impossible to keep car clean inside or outside, so Scooby is kept away.
I have done one track day so far, which was superb and a bit more piece of mind than when I took the Scooby which is worth much more.
I would not say running any 2 cars is cheap esp. if you are a car nut because you always want everthing running well and at optimum performance.i.e I could have got cheaper tyres, left the spark plugs in for longer,bodged the repair on the sun roof,left the oil in for longer,etc,etc. the lists will go on over the next few years but that is the satisfaction of owning a car you are involved with.
My previous commuter car was a Citreon Xanthia bought cheap and run cheap because I did not like it, but it did the job!!!
Its nice to wake up and look forward to the drive to work.
1.6 or 1.9 both good I would say.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I paid £57 for Eagle F1 s recently, and did not really shop around.
I bought my 205 as fun commuter car and part time track car, as I park on construction sites and impossible to keep car clean inside or outside, so Scooby is kept away.
I have done one track day so far, which was superb and a bit more piece of mind than when I took the Scooby which is worth much more.
I would not say running any 2 cars is cheap esp. if you are a car nut because you always want everthing running well and at optimum performance.i.e I could have got cheaper tyres, left the spark plugs in for longer,bodged the repair on the sun roof,left the oil in for longer,etc,etc. the lists will go on over the next few years but that is the satisfaction of owning a car you are involved with.
My previous commuter car was a Citreon Xanthia bought cheap and run cheap because I did not like it, but it did the job!!!
Its nice to wake up and look forward to the drive to work.
1.6 or 1.9 both good I would say.
£57 for Eagle F1s sounds a bargain. Any advice on what sort of mileage I should be looking for? I take it lower the better? Are the service intervals every year?
Old 10 May 2005, 09:34 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Start looking at cars for sale and you will eventually find a car that will satisfy your requirements,i.e. previous history and current condition etc.
Took me 6 months to find the car that I was happy with.
Lots of bad ones out there,with Max Power add ons etc.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:42 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Start looking at cars for sale and you will eventually find a car that will satisfy your requirements,i.e. previous history and current condition etc.
Took me 6 months to find the car that I was happy with.
Lots of bad ones out there,with Max Power add ons etc.
Thanks again Aggs.

Any major preference on engine type? 1.6 or 1.9?
Old 10 May 2005, 10:12 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My 205 only ever gets thrashed as it only comes out now and then. Always get 250 min. Its one of the best fun to drive cars I've ever driven including scoobies, supra's, gtr's etc

F1's can be got in 195 50 15 and cost 45 quid tops.
Old 10 May 2005, 10:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

As for engine type. 1.6 is supposed to be the slightly easier drive and slightly kinder on the handling. But we all know the 1.9 is the daddy

Why have cotton when you can have silk

Neither are wonderful stuck in traffic though, they are known for kangerooing and idle problems, but you learn to drive around this in no time so it doesn't become and issue!
Old 10 May 2005, 10:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

As for engine type. 1.6 is supposed to be the slightly easier drive and slightly kinder on the handling. But we all know the 1.9 is the daddy

Why have cotton when you can have silk

Neither are wonderful stuck in traffic though, they are known for kangerooing and idle problems, but you learn to drive around this in no time so it doesn't become and issue!
Thanks Scoobyjawa. The 1.9 it is then. Anything else I need to be aware of? Reliability issues etc... I take it reg wise it's best to get something that was made in the 90's?
Old 11 May 2005, 08:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Try and get a phase 2 model, 1991 onwards with the clear front indicators and new rear lights, as well as nicer interior, black dash and black trim.

Servicing is cheap if you do it yourself, £80 tops for everything. Look out for worn rear beams (bad camber/creaking on rear wheels), blue smoke (worn stem seals, easy job to fix). Knocking on front suspension is usually the ARB drop links, sorted for about £50 max DIY.

Check all coolant hoses as they can perish.

Great cars, register on 205gtidrivers.co.uk for loads of info.
Old 11 May 2005, 09:36 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Phase 2 was actually in 1990 mate Mines a Nov 1990 and its full phase 2. I believe that started a few months earlier in Aug/Sept.

Before that in 1990 was phase 1.5 and can have any combination of the changes they made in phase 2 - LOL!
Old 11 May 2005, 10:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I know, but the 91 cars are nicer
Old 11 May 2005, 10:59 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.
Old 11 May 2005, 12:26 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I know, but the 91 cars are nicer
Like that is it?

Ones with engines are even better *natch*
Old 11 May 2005, 12:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

LOL

Mine should finally have the new engine fitted Sunday, just need to beg/borrow/steal a crane
Old 11 May 2005, 01:48 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Oh, so it will soon be all over? cooooooooooooooooooool

Quick Reply: Peugeot 205 STDT........