Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan still = rusty old Datsun

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2011, 11:42 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try running a Defender if you want to see rust...!
Old 26 January 2011, 12:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There yo go , should have forked out for a cayenne
Old 26 January 2011, 12:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Bravo - how about from new?!

All part of the fun - apparently.

Wife's grandparents got rid of their Navara 3 months after buying it - too many things annoyed them about it.

MPV? Noooooooooooh!
Old 26 January 2011, 12:30 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well to balance it up my old man had a sunny for 9 yrs and then a primera for another 10 and had no rust nor any other issues with either than your usual wear & tear items.

Same could not be said for the Mitsubishi Spacewagon and Colt Spacestar he ran over the same period. Although even those didnt have rust issues

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2011, 01:13 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

With Nissan I reckon its a case of getting popular, known for value for money and trying to meet demand for the likes of the Navara and letting build quality / tolerance slip. Hence the number of engine blow up with Navaras etc. But have got noticable worse since 1999 when merged with Renault.

Richard
Old 26 January 2011, 01:36 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Personnally, i think the manufacturers take these sorts of motors as purely commercial and thus don't make the of as good materials as an everyday road car.

They may make the interior more hard wearing, but that usually means cheaper, harder plastics.

We had a brand new L200 a few years back and within 1 month, areas under the bonnet showed signs of rust and corrosion. One of the battery terminals actually broke off after 2 months and let me tell you, it WAS NOT a hard worked vehicle!
Old 26 January 2011, 02:17 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Totally agree. Loads round here appear used by familys, but i don't think Nissan will change the materials used from the Navara to the Pathfinder. They seem apparently the same to me anyway...?

A guy we know came in the other day with his 6 month old Hilux. I didn't want to look too close, but i thoroughly expect it'll be the same after a while.

RE the not fixing the rust because of previous damage, i would have expected them not to cover it tbh. It's more a claim against the work carried out than manufacters fault, but i still reckon you'd be hard pushed to get any compensation out the dealer, especially if your the next owner. For all they know, it could have been repaired again afterwards.
Old 26 January 2011, 09:41 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Well,X Trail here,6 years old,90k,stuff all wrong with it and we love it!

Front wings appear to be some sort of plastic so obviously won't rust.Car itself great on every front although would have preferred a Pathfinder.

Sorry to hear of your woes but I can't fault Nissan and I'd have another tomorrow(apart from a Micra and I'd rather kill myself)

And for the love of God...don't get an MPV!! Life over mate(pet hate of mine along with the Prius)
Old 26 January 2011, 10:04 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

If its any consolation we have a 6 year old MX5 with rusty wheel arches!

Do think its luck of the draw sometimes!Can completely understand your annoyance though.

Loads of alternatives to an MPV though! (though I'll confess Ive had a sneaky look and sit in an S Max and it looked pretty good!)
Old 26 January 2011, 10:08 PM
Jamiesti01
Scooby Regular

We have repaired loads of pathfinder tailgates due to this fault (i work for a nissan dealer) i'll have a word with our warranty admin to see if you can claim again.
Also if you send me your chassis number i can check the warranty system to see if it was really claimed for.
Jamie

Last edited by Jamiesti01; 26 January 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: carnt spell
Old 27 January 2011, 08:09 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Try running a Defender if you want to see rust...!
I remember owning a Discovery 300 a few years back - it was easier to fit a wheelarch extension kit to cover it up than deal with it any other way!

And then there was the 2.5 year old BMW 330d I bought as a BMW approved used car, which developed rust on the door, and my local BMW dealer refused to fix it and that I should take it back to the BMW dealer 150 miles away where I bought it. When my local dealer eventually fixed it (after having to involve BMW UK) the repair was so bad that the paint bubbled again within 3 weeks. So much for a warranty. And that's why I wouldn't buy another BMW.

Sorry to have gone off topic, but dealers and manufacturers should learn what CRM means.
Old 27 January 2011, 08:24 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
And then there was the 2.5 year old BMW 330d I bought as a BMW approved used car, which developed rust on the door, and my local BMW dealer refused to fix it and that I should take it back to the BMW dealer 150 miles away where I bought it. When my local dealer eventually fixed it (after having to involve BMW UK) the repair was so bad that the paint bubbled again within 3 weeks. So much for a warranty. And that's why I wouldn't buy another BMW.

Sorry to have gone off topic, but dealers and manufacturers should learn what CRM means.
Oh Lordy, you are brave to mention that on BMWnet