Audi RS3...

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2010, 12:47 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS3...

Anyone thinking about one?

I think, at the moment, its the only car that ticks all my boxes...

I am looking for a car that will carry a large 30kg dog on short trips, be fast, sound good, have an auto / dsg gearbox. Also want a car with a reasonable image, so no Focus RS etc.

4x4 is also a big bonus.

Seems the spec will be reasonable, with nav as standard.

Options list would not be that long really I hope.

Any comments anyone???
Old 08 December 2010, 01:10 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Well if a Golf R specced up comes in at £40k with options

Audi RS3 with the options will be just frightening But the fact it has a 5 pot If it had a proper quattro drivetrain I would be straight in there
Old 08 December 2010, 01:29 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Fantastic engine, easy enough to get it upto 450hp. (Remap & exhaust circa £2k as seen on the TTRS) It is practical, returns good fuel economy, it's cheap to tax, and it has an auto box so this car with minor fettling is going to be supercar quick. 60 in under 4, 100 in under 10 and 180mph+

It certainly ticks the boxes for practicality, comes in at £39,995 though, a little expensive perhaps but not overly so in my opinion.

The only thing that concerns me is the A3 8P platform, I dont understand why they have released the car right at the tail end as the current A3 model has been around since 2003.

Certainly best hatch on the market in my opinion, head and shoulders above the chav charriot the FRS. Wont be too bad if you can knock 10% off list which even with options should keep it under £40k. I'd like to see it in 3 door form rather than sportback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCopTJEIi9g

The video although showing a TTRS shows what the engine can do with remap and exhaust. (circa 440hp or so with 0-300km/h coming up in around 40secs or so. Considering the poor launch and that this is a manual car, you can only expect better from a decent launch and autobox)

Here is a link to some facts and figures for what other cars do 0-300km/h in....

http://www.fastestlaps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392

The RS3 is going to be an absolute gem, okay that was a TTRS and not an RS3 in the video but performance isn't going to be too far off. I'd buy 1 tomorrow for practicality if it wasn't on the 8P platform

Last edited by Mitchy260; 08 December 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08 December 2010, 05:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Old chassis.
5 door only.
Auto only.
£40k basic.
£45-50k with options (bucket seats are optional).

As said in the other RS3 thread, Audi has misses the mark with the RS3 so much, it's unbelievable
Old 08 December 2010, 05:33 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Why do people always bang on about '....with a remap...' etc, etc, every time a new car comes out?
Is it to justify the power short-comings of said car?

How many people really want to or indeed actually do have a brand new, under warranty car and have some 3rd party re-map done to iI suspect most who buy these buy it because 'it's an Audi'.
Most wouldn't even be aware of things called a remap!

Supercar quick?
Only it's not ever going to be a supercar - it's just another boring A3 in drag.....
Old 08 December 2010, 05:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I reckon if you get the engine properly rebuilt you could get 600bhp. Then it would be really fast.

Not sure what it would do for the warranty though.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:01 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Zip106 - agree. I think it's just puffing up of feathers. If 340bhp in a hatch isn't enough, you aren't driving it properly.

And yes - the fundamentals remain the same - a tall, heavy hatch with Haldex AWD and a smalllish engine.

If you want faster, take the Evo route or the proper "supercar" route.

I couldn't give two hoots if "x" car goes faster than "y" (supercar) with loads of tuning in a straight line. I'd rather have the "y" car and not mess with it. Tuning trashes the warranty, makes it harder to sell and often stresses the drivetrain too much - people forget that and just chase 0-60 figures and bhp numbers so they can show off in the pub. Then lose it on a bend and wonder why it happened.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 08 December 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:09 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Zip106 - agree. I think it's just puffing up of feathers. If 340bhp in a hatch isn't enough, you aren't driving it properly.

And yes - the fundamentals remain the same - a tall, heavy hatch with Haldex AWD and a smalllish engine.

I couldn't give two hoots if "x" car goes faster than "y" (supercar) with loads of tuning in a straight line. I'd rather have the "y" car and not mess with it. Tuning trashes the warranty, makes it harder to sell and often stresses the drivetrain too much - people forget that and just chase 0-60 figures and bhp numbers so they can show off in the pub. Then lose it on a bend and wonder why it happened.
Agreed! The S3 is about as fast as you would need in a hatchback.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:13 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

you remapped your beemer didnt you?
Old 08 December 2010, 06:24 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nope. I have stuck with the stock 286bhp (most are over 300) and 428lbs-ft. Plenty nippy enough.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:46 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

All I hear from my mates is 'are you gonna chip your 335i'. None of them have chipped their gti's etc.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:52 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Take the evo route? Why? They are jap sheds, guzzle fuel, cost a fortune to run and service, they are loud and in your face and their interior and build quality are from the last decade. They have a bad image, aren't particularly fast, well no quicker in a straight than this RS3 anyway. They are just bad day to day cars in my opinion and I'd take an RS3 over any evo.

Most people will go on about a remap as it's a very easy way to extract more power with little outlay. The cars drive better with a map as they maximise performance over emissions and economy.

I think if you have any quick turbo car, then you would be mad not to spend a few hundred on a remap to maximise it's performance.

You will get this car for around 36k with discount, add on some options and most will pay around £40k.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:59 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Which version of Haldex does it have?
3 or 4?
The 3 is slow to react.
Old 08 December 2010, 07:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mitchy - you've not heard of issues with remaps then? You've not heard that they void warranties? Often bust transmissions or even kill the car completely?

IMO you have to be slightly mad to remap a car. I would NEVER buy a remapped car. I suspect most here wouldn't either. I wonder why?

An Evo FQ360 or 400 is a damn sight quicker than an RS3 and has "proper" 4WD. Not my cup of tea but more so than any Audi bar the B7 RS4 or R8.
Old 08 December 2010, 07:40 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. I have stuck with the stock 286bhp (most are over 300) and 428lbs-ft. Plenty nippy enough.
twice in one day AGREE I have stuck with the stock 435bhp and 398 1bs /ft. plenty nippy enough , for a grandad
Old 08 December 2010, 07:58 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Mitchy - you've not heard of issues with remaps then? You've not heard that they void warranties? Often bust transmissions or even kill the car completely?

IMO you have to be slightly mad to remap a car. I would NEVER buy a remapped car. I suspect most here wouldn't either. I wonder why?

An Evo FQ360 or 400 is a damn sight quicker than an RS3 and has "proper" 4WD. Not my cup of tea but more so than any Audi bar the B7 RS4 or R8.
He's right! I mean given the choice between a one careful owner 12 month old mapped or unmapped RS3, which one in general are people going to plump for? if you are mapping a brand new car, then you better be in it for the long haul or depreciation isn't something you consider as important........
Old 08 December 2010, 08:03 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

I think if you have any quick turbo car, then you would be mad not to spend a few hundred on a remap to maximise it's performance.

I'd say my turbo'd car is quite nippy and I have absolutely no desire to 'maximise' it's performance any further.

Why would I?

Besides, it'd cost a lot more than a 'few' hundred to map mine properly.
Old 08 December 2010, 08:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
twice in one day AGREE I have stuck with the stock 435bhp and 398 1bs /ft. plenty nippy enough , for a grandad
What you drinking? Sherry? It's one me this time.
Old 08 December 2010, 08:25 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Hey enough of he FRS bashing if you think its chavy your probably a stuck up tw*t who looks down there nose at people in your "posh" audi
Old 08 December 2010, 08:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Paul - where's the FRS bashing?
Old 08 December 2010, 08:46 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Paul - where's the FRS bashing?
post 1 and 3
Old 08 December 2010, 08:49 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Kinhell! I opened a tin with "worms" on the lid with this one! Did not realise there was such emotion on this car!

Ok, so for my requirements, its just a car to ponce about in, get me to work and something I would take when the weather is not the best. It needs to take my dog in the boot. Thats about it really. The badge has nothing to do with it - in fact, I have never owned an Audi, and never really wanted too. (Quattro S1 would do though)

I am lucky that I have a few cars, so this one is just for the above - if I want to play in a proper 4x4 I have one, if I want to play in a proper supercar, ditto. I dont want to sound pompus or anything, but thats the score.

Until recently I had a smart car (dont laugh) for the above poncing about, but I got rid of it a few weeks back as my new dog wont even fit and she is a pup..

I like the idea that the RS3 is quite low key, quite a subtle looking motor really. Evo etc, just too much for me - I want something thats Q car-ish.

I was hoping someone might have ordered one or done a letter of intent or something, maybe anyone who works for Audi with some inside info.
Old 08 December 2010, 09:02 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

What you drinking? Sherry? It's one me this time.
No Stella mate, sherry,s a boys drink
Old 08 December 2010, 09:15 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
Hey enough of he FRS bashing if you think its chavy your probably a stuck up tw*t who looks down there nose at people in your "posh" audi
my last scoob was over 500 of each , I came 13th overall in the scooby shoot out 3 years ago , and im far from posh
Old 08 December 2010, 09:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Kinhell! I opened a tin with "worms" on the lid with this one! Did not realise there was such emotion on this car!
Of course there is - it's an Audi - haven't you worked out that in Other Marques you are only allowed to discuss Porsche, BMW or Nissan GTR
Old 08 December 2010, 10:51 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Of course there is - it's an Audi - haven't you worked out that in Other Marques you are only allowed to discuss Porsche, BMW or Nissan GTR
But thats boring cos the GTR wins everytime
Old 08 December 2010, 10:59 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
my last scoob was over 500 of each , I came 13th overall in the scooby shoot out 3 years ago , and im far from posh
I dont get it ? you dident even post on 1 or 3 and dident slate the FRS so what you on about
Old 08 December 2010, 11:06 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
But thats boring cos the GTR wins everytime
Well someone has to take the ( . )( . ) prize
Old 08 December 2010, 11:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A genuine 0-300km/h in 40 secs would be impressive, but not from the speedo, and just doesn't fit with such slow 0-60 and 0-100 times with such lower power and AWD.
Old 09 December 2010, 12:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Agree about this stupid remap malarky: Just opens a can of worms and is an utterly useless statement to make.

I can bolt two turbos to my golf and get 600bhp plus someone said on the internet its also stays in one peice and won't blow up...but you know what? I think I'll pas, ta.

Its already lunched one clutch/flywheel as standard .

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 December 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi RS3...