Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW Service Pack

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2010, 05:39 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW Service Pack

Well after much head scratching the new car has been ordered today. I was offered a service pack for £350. It includes all service labour and parts for five years, it doesn't cover wear and tear items like tyres, brakes etc.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Opinions please?
Old 02 December 2010, 06:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the cars is on a condition based service schedule?

Then it depends on your mileage.
Our 520d has only had 2 oil changes and 1 major service in 3.5 years and 60k miles but most of that is motorway miles.

On the face of it, I'd say £350 is pretty good - no servicing to pay for for 5 years?

(my L200 service plan cost me £350 for 3 years so for BMW I think that's a good price)

Last edited by zip106; 02 December 2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: 5 years?! FIVE.....
Old 02 December 2010, 06:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

No brainer IMO.
Old 02 December 2010, 06:56 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I'd be surprised if I did more than 30k miles in three years, and there is a chance I won't keep it for 3 years, 5 years is even less likely. My driving is almost all short journey town driving though. In the 3 years I've had the car I've done one oil service and one big service, the latter came when the car was 4 years old.

Is the service pack transferable? If so it could be a good for resale value. At least then the person who buys it at age 3 years knows there will be no big service to pay for. The stealer told me spark plugs, pollen filters etc are all covered.
Old 02 December 2010, 06:56 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I'd be surprised if I did more than 30k miles in three years, and there is a chance I won't keep it for 3 years, 5 years is even less likely. My driving is almost all short journey town driving though. In the 3 years I've had the car I've done one oil service and one big service, the latter came when the car was 4 years old.

Is the service pack transferable? If so it could be a good for resale value. At least then the person who buys it at age 3 years knows there will be no big service to pay for. The stealer told me spark plugs, pollen filters etc are all covered.
Old 02 December 2010, 07:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The tlc pack on the wife's mini was transferable, so i would imagine yes it is.

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

Old 02 December 2010, 07:13 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I took it on my 335 and I only do around 10k per annum. My car was 6 months old when I bought it and forgot to ask if it was five years from purchase or first registration.
Old 02 December 2010, 07:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

That has to be a good deal for £350? Surely you don't get change of £150 for a small service at BMW?
Old 02 December 2010, 07:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Service pack is transferable.

I got mine for free
Old 02 December 2010, 07:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The stealer told me spark plugs, pollen filters etc are all covered.
did you buy the diesel? hopefully the dealer won't try and put spark plugs in, but I wouldn't anything past them
Old 02 December 2010, 08:55 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ding if you do low mileage ... it not worth it imho
Old 02 December 2010, 10:05 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Quite often servicing can be mileage / time based ie 10000 miles or 12 months whichever soonest

Originally Posted by bighead
Ding if you do low mileage ... it not worth it imho
Old 02 December 2010, 10:13 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

You should still need to service every 12 months no matter what mileage ... although i suppose you can get away with extending this dependant on manufacturer. Anyway Ding the TLC / Service pack is a no brainer. I've just been quoted £212 for a service (oil & filter) plus a set of brake pads on my 535, its booked as i thought that was a good price considering my local parts place want £60 for front pads alone.
Anyway get it took, salesman needs the commission
Ps my RR has just been serviced at the cost of £360 although that was all filters. The BMW will need at least one of those in its 5yrs.

Last edited by sti-04!!; 02 December 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02 December 2010, 10:19 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

The stealer told me spark plugs, pollen filters etc are all covered.
No offence but the stealer comment can be unjustified. There a business & therefore need to make money to be viable. Understandably your role doesnt see this within reason (i have an ex(mother of a child) that is senior management within your sector) but without these BMW / Dealer franchises we wouldnt have access to these products. Same as when salesman get be-littled, there only doing there job & are mostly commissioned paid so there trying to earn a crust.
Sorry for the rant Ding & i understand your previous input but there only doing there job.
Old 02 December 2010, 10:32 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
No offence but the stealer comment can be unjustified. There a business & therefore need to make money to be viable. Understandably your role doesnt see this within reason (i have an ex(mother of a child) that is senior management within your sector) but without these BMW / Dealer franchises we wouldnt have access to these products. Same as when salesman get be-littled, there only doing there job & are mostly commissioned paid so there trying to earn a crust.
Sorry for the rant Ding & i understand your previous input but there only doing there job.
I was being flippant, please don't take it seriously. It was just a bit of internet bravado.
I've just paid more for the car than an on line broker offered me the car for because the salesman at the dealer had spent so much time and effort with me, I felt he had earned my business and his commission. So I'm with you. Btw, my wife works in (corporate) sales so I see things from both angles
Old 02 December 2010, 10:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Thanks for understanding Ding, i have a few friends that do "car sales" & i sometimes feel that the way the general public see them is a bit condescending ....
Thanks again & get the TLC pack bought you cant lose.
Old 03 December 2010, 10:34 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Ding, you know i'm BMW and you ask questions like this?!!! hehehehe!
Yes it's definately worth having.
Given the labour rates (£200p/h) @ my dealer. When the car has it's vehicle check (55minute job) You would have almost got your money back just on that alone.
Not to mention the oil isn't cheap (£18 per litre here!!) and your car will need 7 litres of the stuff.
Trust me, it's worth it..........all.day.long!
Old 03 December 2010, 11:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Check the service schedule and see whats due within that period: IIRC the major service is after five years (six years), so all you get is fluids and the brakes bled, I don't think you even get an air filter these days (6 years, 60,000miles or when condition dictates), rooky will correct me on that, I'm sure.

Having said that, BMWs hold ALOT of oil, which is longlife synthetic (8 litres of LL04 or whatever depending on model), so you are looking at £90ish for oil alone depending on what RRP the dealers charge.

As for the "stealer comments" you get exactly what you pay for. Just look at the average dealership; That huge glass clad showroom, the dolly-bird reception/secretary staff, the suited people in the back offices chatting but not seemingly doing anything. The array of computer terminals at every desk, the several or more laser copier/printers (all maintained on contract), the air conditioning/heating (re: glass showroom = inefficient) the service contract for said air conditioning, the fancy high wattage showroom lighting, the salesman ambling about in the background, the white/grey ceramic tiled workshop, the sit-on floor cleaner to keep said tiles clean, the employment of someone to clean and to ride said floor cleaner, the workshop staff, the training of them, the daily/biweekly cleaning of their overalls, the equipment, diagnostic tools, the subscriptions to keep the diagnostic equipment updated/working, the tools, the service contracts for the tools/equipment, electricity, the property lease, the franchise fees, the council rates, the rubbish collection charges, the waste material handling charges, the recycling charges. Not to mention liability, litigation and property insurance. It goes on and on.

Now think of the overheads in that little lot above. Thats why dealers costs so much when compared to a grubby little two man band garage under a railway arch. Its these overheads that give you your sofa in the waiting area, the free cup of coffee+newspaper/mags and some nice-but-dim blonde secretary to oggle at. In the end of the day its justified.
Old 03 December 2010, 11:44 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Rooky, are you able to confirm what the service schedule is for the F10 535D M Sport?

Also, would you be able to pop some Eibach springs in on my front drive or does it need to go on a ramp in the garage?

Cheers
Old 03 December 2010, 12:00 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

You'll have a double wishbone set up on the front on that car ding, so i'll need my workshop for that, plus you'll also need a wheel alignment afterwards.
Your service intervals will be cbs/time based, pretty much the same as what you have with the E60 at the moment.
Old 03 December 2010, 05:25 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Check the service schedule and see whats due within that period: IIRC the major service is after five years (six years), so all you get is fluids and the brakes bled, I don't think you even get an air filter these days (6 years, 60,000miles or when condition dictates), rooky will correct me on that, I'm sure.

Having said that, BMWs hold ALOT of oil, which is longlife synthetic (8 litres of LL04 or whatever depending on model), so you are looking at £90ish for oil alone depending on what RRP the dealers charge.

As for the "stealer comments" you get exactly what you pay for. Just look at the average dealership; That huge glass clad showroom, the dolly-bird reception/secretary staff, the suited people in the back offices chatting but not seemingly doing anything. The array of computer terminals at every desk, the several or more laser copier/printers (all maintained on contract), the air conditioning/heating (re: glass showroom = inefficient) the service contract for said air conditioning, the fancy high wattage showroom lighting, the salesman ambling about in the background, the white/grey ceramic tiled workshop, the sit-on floor cleaner to keep said tiles clean, the employment of someone to clean and to ride said floor cleaner, the workshop staff, the training of them, the daily/biweekly cleaning of their overalls, the equipment, diagnostic tools, the subscriptions to keep the diagnostic equipment updated/working, the tools, the service contracts for the tools/equipment, electricity, the property lease, the franchise fees, the council rates, the rubbish collection charges, the waste material handling charges, the recycling charges. Not to mention liability, litigation and property insurance. It goes on and on.

Now think of the overheads in that little lot above. Thats why dealers costs so much when compared to a grubby little two man band garage under a railway arch. Its these overheads that give you your sofa in the waiting area, the free cup of coffee+newspaper/mags and some nice-but-dim blonde secretary to oggle at. In the end of the day its justified.
well type my man ....I love to oggle them "blondes"
Old 03 December 2010, 07:11 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sounds like John Lewis
Old 03 December 2010, 11:45 PM
SPIDERWRX
Scooby Regular

is there anyway in finding out if my 335i bmw has had a BMW Service Pack on it from new ??? (so i can still use it :-) )
Old 03 December 2010, 11:55 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I'm off monday, but if you pm me your reg mate and i can check on the system on tuesday for you!
Old 04 December 2010, 10:05 PM
SPIDERWRX
Scooby Regular

pm sent ;-)