Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thoughts on Mini/hatchback safety - rear impact?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2010, 09:49 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Mini/hatchback safety - rear impact?

Have to replace the missus car as its death by head gasket

Currently looking at used Minis that get great crash test results, but she said there was almost no metal between the kids in the rear and the back of the car. The NCAP tests are confusing and don't really do rear impact focusing on frontals and side (they mark up for buzzers for doors being open though...)

Just looking for others input/thoughts really as it seems a quality little car for 'round town really to dismiss for something that may not be that relevant?

D
Old 06 September 2010, 09:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

If it was me I wouldn't put my kids in one, having a hard rear impact (que Gimpy) in an MGZS which flattened the boot but did not come into the rear area and knowing how much space was taken up by the impact by my calculations it would be at the front seat of a mini.

But I wouldnt let that put you off it may never be in a crash.
Old 06 September 2010, 11:03 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Clubman may suit?
Old 06 September 2010, 11:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Clubman may suit?
Nice thought & thanks Paul. Clubman bit too pricy though.

Its funny I cant get any sense on this rear impact safety stat - it all seems to be about seat and headrest design when you do find any data on rear impact

I used to only care about how many vanes on the Turbo, and what colour they were!

D
Old 07 September 2010, 12:20 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Read up on NCAP tests and how it is flawed.

To me they are not bull****, but, better than that to a degree.
Old 07 September 2010, 09:18 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Nice thought & thanks Paul. Clubman bit too pricy though.

Its funny I cant get any sense on this rear impact safety stat - it all seems to be about seat and headrest design when you do find any data on rear impact

I used to only care about how many vanes on the Turbo, and what colour they were!

D
I thought the Clubman was cheaper used. We picked up a 4000 mile 9 month old cooper S with the right options for 14k!
Old 07 September 2010, 12:25 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have seen some Mini's that have had almighty whacks up the ****, the the rear seating has been largely unaffected. Its not about the mass of the metal between you, its about how it displaces and absorbs the impact. If the boot is set to flare out, tuck under, or fold in it could drastically reduce the risk of injuries.

NO small hatch is ideal for rear safety when all is said and done. But the better the build of the car, the more safety there is.

Personally for its class I would consider it one of the better choices.
Old 07 September 2010, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have a Mini Cooper.

When I first had it I was on the M4 when the traffic all came to a stop ahead. I slowed to a stop but the bloke behind me was distracted by some clown on his left thinking of undertaking and did not know I had stopped until too late. He hit me with his large BMW at around 60mph!

The Mini was was pushed fully into the air with the impact and I only just missed the car stopped in front of me. I was saved any whiplash injury by the Mini seatbacks which are very good.

The rear valance was damaged as well as a repairable dent in the hatch. The exhaust was slightly damaged. I was able to continue my journey to Lincoln and back to Devon.

I was amazed at the ability of the car to withstand such a heavy rear ender. I saw him coming in the mirror just before he hit me with a look of horror on his face!

It was repaired on his insurance of course needing just a new rear valance and replacement of part of the exhaust etc.

From that experience I have to say that the BMW Mini is very strong as far as a rear end accident is concerned.

It is such a good little car all round that I have kept it for 5 years now.

Les
Old 07 September 2010, 12:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Here is an interesting one.

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/images/revi...-Vegas-big.jpg

"Just wanted to let you know that I am a very satisfied customer! Last Saturday, my Mini Cooper S was rear-ended by a Chrysler 300. I was doing about 60, he was around 100.

Last edited by Snazy; 07 September 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07 September 2010, 03:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes it is Snazy. My Mini was similar with less damage to the hatch which was repairable. Shows they can stand it anyway.

Les
Old 07 September 2010, 05:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have a Mini Cooper.

When I first had it I was on the M4 when the traffic all came to a stop ahead. I slowed to a stop but the bloke behind me was distracted by some clown on his left thinking of undertaking and did not know I had stopped until too late. He hit me with his large BMW at around 60mph!

The Mini was was pushed fully into the air with the impact and I only just missed the car stopped in front of me. I was saved any whiplash injury by the Mini seatbacks which are very good.

The rear valance was damaged as well as a repairable dent in the hatch. The exhaust was slightly damaged. I was able to continue my journey to Lincoln and back to Devon.

I was amazed at the ability of the car to withstand such a heavy rear ender. I saw him coming in the mirror just before he hit me with a look of horror on his face!

It was repaired on his insurance of course needing just a new rear valance and replacement of part of the exhaust etc.

From that experience I have to say that the BMW Mini is very strong as far as a rear end accident is concerned.

It is such a good little car all round that I have kept it for 5 years now.

Les

He hit you when you were stationary and he was travelling in a large, heavy car yet only left superficial damage, sorry to doubt you Les but sixty mph versus a stationary car results in carnage usually, sure they are tough but they cant be that tough, I would suggest both cars would be write offs in that situation.
Old 07 September 2010, 05:53 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
He hit you when you were stationary and he was travelling in a large, heavy car yet only left superficial damage, sorry to doubt you Les but sixty mph versus a stationary car results in carnage usually, sure they are tough but they cant be that tough, I would suggest both cars would be write offs in that situation.
I was thinking the same. May have seemed like 60 but likely to be nearer 30-40mph.

Simon
Old 07 September 2010, 07:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Must have felt like being in a Vulcan again with that kind of kick in the back eh Les ?
Old 07 September 2010, 08:23 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

My wifes 2007 Cooper S got rear ended heavily on the A1.

The damage was remarkably light, the hatch and valance was bent though the hatch still opened. The passenger side rear quarter had a slight crease and exhaust back box mashed. The boot floor had no creasing with no intrusion into the rear seat area at all.

I had a good look at the Megane that hit her and both it's headlights and top of the bonnet were destroyed. The high boot floor of the Mini makes it ride up onto the bonnet of the car that hits it from behind. The BMW repairer had 2 other rear ended Mini's when my wifes went in for repair which had similar levels of damage. Luckily for my wife there was a large gap to the car in front, as the Megane lifting the rear wheels of the Mini meant it only had two braked tyres in contact with the road and it got shoved forward a fair way.

Not sure how they would get on being hit by higher fronted vehicle like panel van that would be less likely to dive under the car.
We sold the car soon after and got something bigger as crash protection became a real life issue and it's small size was a concern.
Old 07 September 2010, 11:35 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I'm a BMW tech, and have seen some seriously smashed minis come into the bodyshop.
Most of them rarely show the actual damage they recieved (looked like less damage compared to the impact severity), as the cars safety cell is quite good.
These cars are safe, but be warned.........
They cost lots to run.
Clutches from a London main dealer will set you back £900!!
Might be worth paying a good local tech a "drink" to go over the car for you to make sure any common faults aren't present/about to arise.
Old 08 September 2010, 12:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

£900 for a clutch, christ, motivation to do it yourself if ever there was.
Old 08 September 2010, 06:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I was watching him in my mirror as he hit me so I could see that he was travelling very fast, and he also said afterwards that he was about that speed when he hit me too.

Takes a pretty fair clout to lift my car off the ground as it did, it was very lucky I had a reasonable distance between me and the car in front of me.

The damage was hardly superficial, but it was repairable and the point is, it did not intrude into the passenger space.

As I slowed down I looked in my mirror and saw him looking sideways at the undertaking car on his left. By that time I was almost stopped and I saw him look forwards, see me and hit his brakes with a look of horror on his face. He did not have time to knock off very much speed before he hit me.

I don't think my estimate and his admission of his speed as he hit me was all that far out.

Les
Old 09 September 2010, 12:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I expect if it was that speed then the energy was transferred under and lifted the car rather than hitting it square as two cars colliding at sixty is usually carnage.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:30 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Great input guys. Thanks - helped a lot. (and best we get an Auto!!!). D
Old 11 September 2010, 04:27 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Only get the auto cooper s (if the shape is an r50) as the CVT gearbox on the early minis were so bad that they are now starting to desintegrate!!
New auto gearbox supplied and fitted by bmw is £7000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The cooper s and the new shape (r56) mini run a conventional torque converter gearbox which is very very strong.
Old 12 September 2010, 02:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Bang on the money - thanks Matt. I drove a 51 plate 21,000 miler yesterday with CVT. First thing itdid was stall so I have been genning up and it looks like we have to go for an 06 on - which month did they change from Mk1 to Mk2 do you know?

Thanks again for this TOP tip. Do the MK2's have the dodgy power steering hydraulics motor too, or was that fixed then too?

Cheers

D
Old 12 September 2010, 02:13 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

The mk1 minis hung around right up untill 08 (in guises such as the "seven". and the cabrios)
The mk2 is a totally different machine, they came out on the "56" plate.
They have a different engine, gearbox (the autos are the better version), diffrerent steering rack (electric worm gear type, not hyrdo electric like the mk1, so to answer your question- yes the steering reliability is improved now)
You can tell the difference from the outside by the headlights being mounted to the cars engine bay(mk2) and not to the bonnet(mk1)

Handy link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_(BMW)
Old 12 September 2010, 02:17 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Bang on the money - thanks Matt. I drove a 51 plate 21,000 miler yesterday with CVT. First thing itdid was stall so I have been genning up and it looks like we have to go for an 06 on - which month did they change from Mk1 to Mk2 do you know?

Thanks again for this TOP tip. Do the MK2's have the dodgy power steering hydraulics motor too, or was that fixed then too?

Cheers

D
With regards to the car stalling, thats down to incorrect cvt ecu coding. (alot left the factory with the car thinking it had a manual transmission, not an auto!!)
Also it has probably never had the oil replaced and the gearbox's oil slip adaptations recalibrated (you should do this with every gearbox oil change, which is with every inspection1 or 2)
These problems can be fixed, but the saying "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind.
Old 12 September 2010, 06:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Loving the advice! Now does this have a turd or a torque converter type for a gearbox (they dont say if its a 56 or an 06)? http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl...eId=1430471141 I'll call the guys but most dealers I call profess utter ignorance on the matter!

Thanks again.

D
Old 12 September 2010, 07:46 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Loving the advice! Now does this have a turd or a torque converter type for a gearbox (they dont say if its a 56 or an 06)? http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl...eId=1430471141 I'll call the guys but most dealers I call profess utter ignorance on the matter!

Thanks again.

D
The above is an r50 (CVT type, i.e poo )
On closer inspection, this is probably a 55/06 plate. The alloy wheels were an upgraded version issued on the 55 plates generally.
Whats your budget mate? i'll have a little butchers for you.

Last edited by rookymatt; 12 September 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12 September 2010, 08:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Budget was £6k but now forced up to £8k (cash) so we are pushing it for a 56 auto That one would just have done it if it had the right box. Had the roof and chilli pack too. Damnnn!

Only thing is autos aren't in demand and stay on forecourts long so still fairly hopeful.

Cheers

D
Old 12 September 2010, 08:15 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...51rg?logcode=p
Bit over budget but very low miles and choice extras (bodykit, jcw wheels)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/7?logcode=p
All seem to be about 9000! another low miler
Old 12 September 2010, 08:26 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate the black one went IMMEDIATELY - he only put it up yesterday. Will keep trawling as its killing the budget! D
Old 13 September 2010, 07:49 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Just thought, if you want a good reliable safe run around, i'm selling my fiances honda civic 1.6i manual, (wedding to pay for so luxuries have to go! ), the car is in very good condition and only has 18k on the clock!!
Let me know what you think mate as it is well under your budget, and i know its a great car.
Old 13 September 2010, 10:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Civics are great and on the list as a Mini is looking too pricy for a post CVT model Any car has to be auto though mate. Also btw is a Mini 4 seats or 5 - Googling it don't work!

Cheers

D

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mini/hatchback safety - rear impact?