Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2002, 02:22 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the 0-100 time on a Boxter S ?
I have found a url that says 16.5 for the S & 18.9 for non turbo.
surely this can't be right ??

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 02:26 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Nah, 5.9 seconds to 60 and about 14 seconds to 100mph.
Old 03 April 2002, 02:41 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Shunty - that is probably 0-100-0 times
Old 03 April 2002, 03:11 PM
MW1
Scooby Regular

Dont Buy one they are boring cars. The look superb but are dull as hell to drive.
Old 03 April 2002, 03:17 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

The S is not a Turbo. It's a 3.2! The basic one is a 2.7ltr
Old 03 April 2002, 03:35 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm not looking to buy one, one of the guys @ work has just got one & he rekons a scoob has no chance. Said he "blew one away" last week, I don't think he realises that there are quite a few different models & spec

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 04:42 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Depends if you can drive or not - they are very capable cars.
Mate at work took me out in his and he was stuffing it into A-road corners so fast I thought it would just flip off into the scenery, but it didn't excellent chassis. It has brakes too but strangely no roof - what's that all about?
Old 03 April 2002, 05:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Blew away a scooby turbo in an Boxter S - He's dreaming!! If it was a poorly driven beat up old turbo he may have won but were talking very small margins. Why do people keep saying "I destroyed this" and "blew away that"? Being a half car length in front does not constitute blowing away IMHO! Cheap mans Porsche - buy a 911 or get something else!
Old 03 April 2002, 05:14 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am in the fortunate position of having the use of a P1 and a Boxster S.

I do not agree that the Boxster S is boring as it is a brilliantly hadling rear wheel drive car that is superb fun to drive, especialy with the roof down in this sort of weather

However, in a straight line compared to my P1 it does feel a bit slow, partly due to the fact that it has an extremely linear power delivery so until you look at the speedo you don't really notice how fast you are actually accelerating.

However the brakes are fantastic and better than any standard Subaru set-up I have seen.

Cheers

Si
Old 03 April 2002, 05:19 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

A scoob is a boxter's (2.7) worst nightmare because something for a 1/3 of the prices pi55es all over it. I have a mate at work who fell off his high horse when I annihilated him on some back roads and then onto the motorway.

Remember the (classic) scoob is a whole 1 second faster from 30-70mph - and 1 second at that speed is quite a few car lenghths!

Not too familiar with a Boxter S, but out dragged one (more than a length) till about 50 at the lights but ran out of road.
Old 03 April 2002, 05:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

That the way akshay get some distances in there and give us perspective! Well played.
Old 03 April 2002, 07:09 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

been away washing & polishing me motor....
anyway back to it then - the guy in question has just purchased a £49k boxster s & took me for a quick blast in it. Very smooth & specced up to the hilt, leather, 18's, etc.
But it didn't feel as quick as my motor.
Father Jack - "depends on the driver"... fair comment, but I was after a straight road performance test just out of interest.

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 07:51 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Boxter S dull and boring? Typical response, you obviously know your cars!

Most people here should know that in the dry a Boxter S will easily outpace any Scoob except the 276bhp P1's and STi's. The difference is that the Boxter will require a decent driver behind the wheel to get such results!
Old 03 April 2002, 08:00 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

to be honest this all started because the guy seems to treat the scooby like a vastly UNsuperior car.
Now I appreciate that my car is modified & pushing 278bhp & 245 lbs out, & I don't mean it too sound like my modified car will beat your standard car. That sounds all too familiar & it's not me to be honest. Obviously if you took a standard boxter s & modified it etc etc
BUT he dismisses the scooby very quickly & he's never driven one.
I like ALL performance cars (bar a few) but I will always appreciate someone talking about there car with respect (as long as it's not complete b*llocks).
If the guy has an XR3i & thats his budget I have & will listen to him tell me how great the performance/handling is....
but when all that the guy can see is his car & nothing else then that's different.
I want to show him to be more respectful of other motors

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 08:27 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Well I left a Boxter S fairly rapidly in my scoob (modified WRX with alloy panels - so quite a quick scoob)

However have driven a few Boxters. I do like them they are quick have good brakes and are rear wheel drive which I like. So I am not knocking them.

Just that when I came up against a S I had the edge. Just my personal experience

Cheers
Steve
Old 03 April 2002, 09:01 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Steve - what bhp & lbs were you pushing out in your motor?

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 09:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was in a Boxster S last week, and while they are fast (and much faster than my MR2), I dont believe they are quicker than a Scoob Turbo of any sort. Or at least they dont 'feel' as quick.

DW

Come on Dales, where are you
Old 03 April 2002, 11:22 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Shunty - 0-100 aint everything - but if you want that get a Tiv or an M Coupe/Roadster (my plan) or a Supra. Or a bike.
But the Boxter is well balanced car, and if you've got the cash up front you can run a properly specced one for a year for pence. They don't depreciate ...... yet. Bloke at work lost 1k on his over a year and 4,000 miles. That's a feckin bargain. 2.5p a mile.
Old 04 April 2002, 08:09 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Father J - I only asked for 0-100 figures in my first post, I am not wanting to get into a "my cars faster than" type post...as I stated earlier. I am only talking about pure straight line performance, I have not track raced yet, I know that my driving skills are not upto the power of my car in the twisties etc etc, I am not looking for prices or comparisons with any other cars, this is purely to prove a point with a guy who sounds like he has his head up his ar*e.

Stephen - cheers 4 that I thought they were turbo'd

shunty

[Edited by shunty - 4/4/2002 9:29:33 AM]
Old 04 April 2002, 11:55 AM
MW1
Scooby Regular

Veracocha. think you are implying I dont know anything about cars or driving but bearing in mind I have had a MY98 Scoob, an EVO6 and a Boxster S I think I have the right to say what I think about them. For the Money the Boxster was poor and didnt seem to have the performance or handling of the other 2. However they are very different cars with very differnt characteristics. IMO it was boring and didnt live up to my expectations. Like I say its my opinion only and I am sure it will P!ss many people off who own a Boxster.
Old 04 April 2002, 11:59 AM
MW1
Scooby Regular

Veracocha

What do you drive? have you ever driven or owned the cars you mention?
Old 04 April 2002, 12:10 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Veracocha - that's why I am very careful when I post, it is very easy to make a statement, but until you have driven the car then it is hard to quote on it.
Now it may be that you have access to one or perhaps you are wealthy for a student & own one & therefore can make a statement regarding it, but if not then how can you compare?
What cars have you had, & what do you drive at the moment?

shunty
Old 04 April 2002, 12:14 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

MW1,

I drive an Audi S3.

Point taken if you owned all cars but I was not implying that you didn't know anything about cars. I was just saying that a well driven Boxter S would be able to beat most Scoobs up to an Sti/P1 in good dry conditions.

I don't know why people say that a Scoob would stay with a Boxter S in a straight line. I have raced both and can stay with a UK Turbo and be a bit quicker after 120mph, but the Boxter is a different story. They just go.
Old 04 April 2002, 12:24 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Shunty,

I have had a ride in a Boxter S but not driven one. They feel faster than a Standart Turbo.

I have driven an Accord Type - R, Scoob Turbo, Audi S3, Modified RS-Turbo (220bhp) and Modified Calibra Turb (320bhp).

I prefer the S3 because it is as fast as a Scoob Turbo and is far more stylish and well built. I accept that I have made a sacrifice in driver involvement but you can't have it all at 21!

The Calibra Turbo is very fast in a straight line but boring as hell in terms of feedback and involvement.

Maybe my first statement was a bit erratic, but still in my opinion calling a Boxter S boring is far off the mark.

Old 04 April 2002, 12:30 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am currently running both a well run in Boxster S (very kindly lent to me by a colleague who is abroad for a few months) and an (almost) standard MY00. I have to say that they really are chalk and cheese to drive:

Scooby pros:
Great mid-range punch, put your foot down to the floor anywhere ability, significantly quicker and more confidence inspiring on a typical country road wet or dry (in my hands anyway!)

Boxster pros:
Superb steering (Scooby feels light and vague after the Porsche), truly amazing brakes (taken from the 911 I believe), linear power delivery (bloody good job with the way it handles), much better top end speed, view of the sky in nice weather.

I am still getting to know the Boxster (only had a month) but at the moment, I really do not feel confident in the way it handles, wet or dry. I have already had a heart in the mouth moment whilst having a bit of fun with a 3.0 A4 quattro (he was keeping up no bother on a particularly twisty bit). You have to be very non-aggressive with the throttle if power sliding is not your thing...

No doubt people will say its my lack of driving skill, but in the real world do you really want to be travelling sideways on a narrow country road?

In summary, I think it would take a skilled driver with lots of experience with the way a Porsche handles to stand any chance of keeping up with a Scooby driven by Joe Average.
Old 04 April 2002, 12:35 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Veracocha -
I appreciate that you did say a standard scoob was no match, but I think it was the way you implied to MW1 that he didn't know what he was talking about, escpecially with the exclamation mark after it!! see what I mean

what performance cars have you owned?
I have had 1 ride in a boxster s I wouldn't even dream of stating anything adamantly about it....

shunty
Old 04 April 2002, 12:39 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Dales - what about pure straight line performance comparison?
I mean for £49k your in Skyline territory there, & surely this is no comparisson with one of those?

Personally if I was lucky enough to buy a porsche I would rather have a used Carrera 4 turbo than Boxster S, but I'm not bothered about reg plate status (not meaning to be offensive).

shunty
Old 04 April 2002, 12:54 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Dales,

Does your S have the PSM (Porsche Stability Management)? I have heard they can be a bit tricky in the wet without it!

Cheers,
SR
Old 04 April 2002, 01:00 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Shunty, yeah I jumped the gun with that statement like I said in the other post.

I know I can't give you an in depth synopsis on the Porsche but having a ride in one certainly gave me an idea of its general handling characteristics. It seemed very light on its feet, a lot more so than my S3 or the Impreza. In the dry it certainly gripped enough. I believe in order to make the Porsche more effective you need to drive it without sliding the back out. If you can drive the car up to the limits of its grip it will be very effective.

And I agree about taking something more heavyweight for that money like a Skyline or RS4!

Old 04 April 2002, 01:03 PM
Chris T
Scooby Regular

tis a different animal

scoob is a fwd front engined beastie - boxster is mid to rear engined and I believe a rwd.

drive a scoob at 9/10thas easily 10/10s with some skill
boxster can be driven at 7/10 with difficulty on a public road.

out and out in the right hands the s should beat an unmodded on the track but it is a very close call.

I personally think the s is a better car - but I like convertibles.
still both are fairly ugly to view !

[Edited by Chris T - 4/4/2002 2:04:41 PM]

Quick Reply: Boxster S