Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

new XJ in the flesh

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 08:01 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new XJ in the flesh

I saw a new Jaguar XJ at the weekend. When I first saw the pictures I was mightily impressed, with the genes of the nicely proportioned XF but a little bigger.

In the flesh however, it's a little disappointing. The lines just don't quite flow, the vents on the front wings seem to break up the lines and the rear just doesn't work. Some of the details are nice - though not the black plastic trim on the rear pillars - but it seems like it was designed by 3 people: front, rear and sides - and they couldn't quite agree on a few details - something you couldn't say about the now ageing Mercedes CLS and Maserati Quattroporte. Interior looked good though.
Old 03 August 2010, 08:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I think it looks minging - like an overgrown Lincoln or something.

XF and XK are a zillion times nicer.
Old 06 August 2010, 06:03 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I think it looks minging - like an overgrown Lincoln or something.

XF and XK are a zillion times nicer.
Agreed

WTF were Jaguar thinking with the **** on that thing??
Old 06 August 2010, 07:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had this issue with most modern jags (except the x300 and x350 ). Where it "should" look nice, but the way the lines and panels intersect and its proportions, it just doesn't work. Its so close to looking stunning, but somewhere they cocked it up.

I think its when they go from concept drawing to trying to get that shape to work with a specified platform or ergonomics and to get cheaper manufacture methodolgy. The result is the design is stretched and distorted to fit, with intersecting lines not meeting or flowing as they should. Like many modern cars it is very tall (presumably for rear head/leg room and crash safety), and the design suffers for it. I think if the design was put on a smaller chassis platform and given a lower roof and bonnet height, it probably would look alot better and proportioned.

Also their tendendacy to use the massive bumper mouldings to give the front a "face" which limits the contours to only jelly-mould forms (seeing bumpers come out of a jelly-mould, that is of no suprise ), really this should be reserved for silly little Japanese/Korean city cars.

As for the ****; it should have been a double-decked hatchback like the Skoda Superb. Where in most circumstances it opens just like a normal saloon, but has the option to open like a full hatch if needed. Comes to something when VW's poor relation out-does Jag for clever design (and the superb has a huge boot and rear leg room too, and still has room for AWD, even though its a smaller car).

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 August 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06 August 2010, 07:06 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I saw one of these in a carpark side on and thought... THATS HUGE!

When it went passed, i just thought THATS UGLY!

The XF however, I would have in a flash. Just in the looks department. No idea what its like to drive, etc.
Old 07 August 2010, 07:34 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I've had this issue with most modern jags (except the x300 and x350 ). Where it "should" look nice, but the way the lines and panels intersect and its proportions, it just doesn't work. Its so close to looking stunning, but somewhere they cocked it up.

Also their tendendacy to use the massive bumper mouldings to give the front a "face" which limits the contours to only jelly-mould forms (seeing bumpers come out of a jelly-mould, that is of no suprise ), really this should be reserved for silly little Japanese/Korean city cars.
I agree. I haven't seen the XJ in the flesh yet but the XF doesn't really work unless you put huge wheels on it. Then it looks just like any tarted up saloon.......gaudy and vulgar.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments about the huge bumper mouldings. They have the generic Ford look to them and only work with the arches filled. Without, all I see is base model Mondeo .
There are some lovely touches on both the XJ and the XF but they don't work as a whole package. They don't do subtle like the Germans do.
Old 07 August 2010, 09:31 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmmm... Im not sure the last 5 series could be accused of subtlety
Old 07 August 2010, 12:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new XJ is really distinctive, not generic and boring, not self conciously retro, remember when the new 5 series came out, was a bit of a shock, I think these cutting edge designs need a little while to acclimatise to, an aquired taste, like a fine Brandy you cant appreciate it straight away say when you are 16, it takes time.