Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Lexus RX450

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2010, 07:55 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX450

My old man is thinking of buying one of these, well, pcp as opposed to buying.

It's the hybrid jeep thing which to me seems a bit pointless, big heavy jeep hybrid? Buy a prius if your an Eco warrior, lol

Anyone have any views, good or bad. Been offered a 6 month old car for £49k ish which was apparently £57k when new. Still seems ridiculously expensive to me for a lexus which will no doubt depreciate worse than an 7 series bimmer . Has to put 10% down then monthly payments of £1100 over 3 years with a balloon payment at the end, not sure how much this is yet. Being given the typical hard sell, need to be quick, not too many of these around, etc

I'm trying to talk him out of it as for nearly £50k there's a million and one cars I'd rather buy!

Thanks

Chris
Old 07 July 2010, 09:16 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

can you not buy a new range rover tdv8with full warranty for that sort of money????
Old 07 July 2010, 09:38 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

I road tested one the other week,went like stink,but the interior finnish was poor and it seemed small inside for a big car,and the price seemed ridiculous.
Old 08 July 2010, 11:23 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Agreed, price seems ridiculous, I assume you're paying because it's a hybrid and possible fuel, tax, congestion saving. I'm trying to explain to the old man that he'd probably need to keep it 100 years, cover a million miles and visit london every day to justify the purchase price

What about the new Jag XF 3.0 litre diesel. Brand new seem to be £34k ish and monthly payments are about £390, this seems like a better deal to me. He's always owned Jags ad Daimlers but turns his nose up at the XF because it's not an XJ.
Old 10 July 2010, 12:17 AM
suneagle
Scooby Newbie

The lease is up on my 335i in October and I am thinking about getting one of these as they make a lot of sense on company car tax. The lease is about £50 a month cheaper than the BMW and will put £2500 a year in my pocket in tax. It's about £1600 a year cheaper than the XF 3.0 and £4500 cheaper than the range rover mentioned.

From a walkaround in the showroom, the SE-L model has loads of kit but the interior quality is crap for the crazy asking price. I am going for a test in one next week and will make up my mind after that.

I have never brought a car from a purely financial standpoint before and don't know if I can actually bring myself to do it now. I'll probably end up making the emotive decision and go for something that costs me more than i'm paying now in tax, but gets the heart pumping like my 335i does.