Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Should we keep the Scoob or buy new Mini Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2002, 11:18 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just an idea that cropped up this morning, I'd love one, so would Chris but we also love the scoob. However the Cooper S is getting fantastic reviews and we would be able to get it specced up to the hilt

In an ideal world we'd buy one and keep the scoob but it's just not possible at the mo

I suppose once we'd had our fun in the Mini we could always sell it and buy another scoob or we could sell the scoob and the MX5 and buy the Mini and a much older scooby.... etc etc

What do you lot think?

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 3/31/2002 12:19:09 PM]
Old 31 March 2002, 12:57 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Tried out a Cooper a couple of weeks ago...absolute hoot to drive!

Demo car was fully specced up...17" wheels, black paint, Chili pack...looked the dogs
Was hugely tempted to chuck in my Scoob for a while as I'd save huge amounts on running costs (house purchase coming up )

In the end though, I just couldn't live without the Scoob's performance...although a Cooper S would be a lot closer.

Like you, ideally I'd get one as a second car but finances just won't allow.

One day maybe...

Bas
Old 31 March 2002, 03:56 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah we did the Cooper test drive too and almost ordered one but succumbed to a new house instead The Cooper S seems to have all the power that was missing in the Cooper and whilst it's not quite a scoob at least it's got a bonnet scoop
Old 31 March 2002, 07:04 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Go for a basic spec cooper S (with air if its not standard), then go for a nice 97 model scooby or similar (assuming a £22k budget, 7k for the scooby, 15k for the cooper S)
Old 01 April 2002, 02:08 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

£15k??!!

For a Mini????

Ouch!

Rich.
Old 01 April 2002, 08:40 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

67% residual to be expected though - scooby 44%, so if it comes down to money it aint such a daft choice. Personally i think it looks awfull, far to bitty for my liking, chrone, black and coloured trims mixed - yuk.
Old 01 April 2002, 11:29 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Well the basic price for the cooper S is £14.5k, I've no idea what is standard, but as with most cars, it will better off as near to standard as possible for longer term residual value, Air is pretty much a requirement if not fitted, but otherwise keep it standard...

That said, you could try a Clio 172 for similar fun, they're available secondhand for under £10k at our local 'car supermarket', or for around the £5k mark a 106GTI would offer loads of fun too yes the cooper S will be good, but personally I couldn't justify that price when similarly good cars are available for much less money (albeit secondhand)... Just paying for the label really
Old 01 April 2002, 03:25 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

£15k??!!

For a Mini????

Ouch!

Rich.
Or look at it another way... A BMW hatchback with pretty much the same power to weight as a WRX, with better spec, far superior build quality, better handling (though poorer grip), FAR better residuals, far superior looks, better aftercare, etc etc, for two-thirds of the cost of the WRX!

Yes the WRX has four doors, a bigger boot and (slightly) better rear legroom, and have the cooper S on the wet twisty road...but you see my point

The MINIs are cracking cars (Mrs C has a high specc'd Cooper), more chucakble fun than just about any new car, and great value for money. The Cooper at £11.6k is stunning VFM - even Mrs Cs £14700 specc'd Cooper is great VFM. The Cooper S will be even more so.. Name another 160bhp/tonne performace hatchback for £14.5k? and thats before you look at build quality etc etc...

Old 02 April 2002, 12:25 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Mini is nice but i think its in a slightly different class to the WRX! They are also quite pricey when specced up. My mother has a Cooper which is v fun to drive but not quite in scoob league - but hey its cheaper.

As for build quality I'm not so sure I agree. Since my mother got hers in January its gone back on about 4 occasions fro probs ranging from transmission to dodgy boot lock. I've had 3 scoobs and no problems with any of them (yet).

Old 02 April 2002, 02:28 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Sal - drop Mr Oz a line He da man in da know...
Old 02 April 2002, 04:49 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers all for your input, still undecided tho'!

Rich - have sent mail
Old 02 April 2002, 07:57 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Mini is nice but i think its in a slightly different class to the WRX! They are also quite pricey when specced up. My mother has a Cooper which is v fun to drive but not quite in scoob league - but hey its cheaper.

As for build quality I'm not so sure I agree. Since my mother got hers in January its gone back on about 4 occasions fro probs ranging from transmission to dodgy boot lock. I've had 3 scoobs and no problems with any of them (yet).
Different class yes - but same Power to weight. Makes it comparable in some respects.

Yes the WRX is the better car, but is it 50% better?? Mrs C's car has the same set up as the 'S' (Sports suspension plus and 17" wheels) and it is as fun on the twisties as my (heavily) modified impreza was, and fun at slower, less license infringing levels . Yes it's no where near as quick (std cooper Vs 290hp imp) but std WRX Vs CooperS will be a damned sight closer than you would dare to expect.

Built quality and reliability are different issues. Build quality on the MINI is of a standard Subaru can only dream of. On the reliability issue, Mrs Cs has been faultless, my scoob was in 5 times in 16 months!?

Yes we would all choose the WRX (or even better a proper preMY01 scoob) for a back road blast - my arguement was to prove the MINI is great VFM
Old 02 April 2002, 09:09 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Each to their own i guess..... though i`ve never seen a BMW badge on one before

Rich.
Old 03 April 2002, 09:14 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

GaryC said:
Build quality on the MINI is of a standard Subaru can only dream of
you must be joking, I drove a Mini cooper and the thing feels as if its about to fall apart,
the fiddly controls, the rattales (the car was new)...build quality su*ks!!
and I drive an MY99 not even the WRX.
Old 03 April 2002, 09:20 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

just to add a voice to the quality issue.

I own a MY99 and my wife has a cooper, to be honest I am seriously considering the Cooper S (even though I think 2 MINI's would be too much) just because the cabin is a much nice place to be.

not to mention cheaper insurance, better residuals 5 years serviceing for £100 etc etc etc.

very convincing package in the UK dont know about else where but I am have serious thoughts about it.
Old 03 April 2002, 11:55 AM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

I don't personally like the new mini.
The old mini was something special. A tiny fun car.
The new one looks about the same size as a focus!
I saw one parked next to an old shape the other day and it seemed to dwarf it.
I didn't like the interior much either. Although some of the switches were a nice touch, the whole thing seemed a little "gadget-shop"ish.

To me it is no better than the new beetle, and will probably appeal to the same sort of folk.

Each to their own.
Old 03 April 2002, 06:47 PM
The Gravedigger
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Cooper S = Slow.

Scooby = Japanese but Fast.

It's a tough decision, but even to a riceboy-phobic like myself, the Scooby wins this one
Old 04 April 2002, 02:27 PM
MW1
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about delivery timescales? The cooper S isnt out until July???? a couple of months ago I was quoted delivery in December so god knows when delivery would be now. Can you wait that long??
Old 04 April 2002, 07:21 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the replies - as we said - only a thought. We did test drive the Cooper when it first came out - stunning car, great fun. Certainly there is substance - not just style. I agree with the comments about the Beetle - always thought that was a very cynical marketing exercise - dressing up a Golf in a new body.

Still trying to make our minds up. More comments welcome.

Chris
Old 04 April 2002, 10:53 PM
ChrisB

What about waiting for the Cooper M? 220 brake should be as quick as a WRX if it's only FWD.

See my other thread in this forum.

No Mini's allowed in Catalunya though
Old 07 April 2002, 07:08 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Keep the scooby - it corners better