Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Alfa 159 Sportwagon - used?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2010, 10:57 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alfa 159 Sportwagon - used?

What do you lot think of a Alfa 159 Sportwagon as a family car?
Thinking of a getting a 2/3 year used diesel version next year, mainly for Mrs to drive & myself now & then. Looks amazing & being an estate is good for kids etc. Hoping pries will be down to under £15k by next year for the Lusso model & might but not many Automatics around, & even rarer are the AWD versions. Just not sure on the dreaded reliability, though they have apparently sorted it out now? Also depreciation will probably be pretty bad?

Opinions please I dont have much knowledge on the brand or the model?

Thanks,
Ricky

Last edited by rickya; 09 May 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09 May 2010, 01:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do love the look and feel of Alfas, th issue is often reliability and longevity. I would have a look on the Alfa forums for known issues. I know the sportmatic or whatever they call their semi auto system has its faults as i looked at getting a 159 but they where just too unrelaible and serious money to fix if/when things went wrong.

Diesel engine is supposed to be very good.

I ended up with a Mitsi Galant 2.5 Sport which was very reliable, quick and economic for a 2.5 V6 regulalry turning in 32-38MPG
Old 09 May 2010, 01:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engines are great, you need to watch for suspension (wishbones/driveshafts?) failing, they dont last long (20k miles ) and cost a packet to replace

Tony
Old 09 May 2010, 06:04 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

are you mental of have you been drinking . alfas are renowned for being bad news , they look sexy but the build quality and reliability is shocking imo

steer well clear mate . there are much better estates out there
Old 09 May 2010, 06:04 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

are you mental of have you been drinking . alfas are renowned for being bad news , they look sexy but the build quality and reliability is shocking imo

steer well clear mate . there are much better estates out there
Old 09 May 2010, 07:52 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Could be the booze Mags!!!!!!
Old 09 May 2010, 08:18 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I have run the 147 1.9 jtdm for the last 20000 miles since may 2 years ago, it shares the same engine as the 159,
The 159 is a not large estate, the lusso is a middle spec.
The engine is shared between Saab Vauxhall and Fiat, The cambelt is best changed at 60000 miles along with the water pump which have been known to fail.
its happy up to 90 mph the fuel is around 45 mpg, tyre wear has been very good,the main dealers have a bad reputation but I found my local dealer rather good,.
They are a good buy after 2/3 years old ( with full history) the first owner would have taken the biggest hit on depreciation.
Alfaowners.com will furnish you with all the info you need.
I was really worried when I swopped my WRX in for the Alfa but, so far so good
Old 09 May 2010, 10:05 PM
vyore980
Scooby Regular

Hi I has a Alfa 159 JTDM it had a steering rack failure at 40K be care fill with steering rack's and power steering pumps big faults also bad inside tyre ware in the insides know issue its the way the camber of the wheels are set up however they are a great drivers car you can really drive them on windey roads and they will put a smile on you face
Old 09 May 2010, 10:13 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave.
Im thinking of the 1.9jtdm or 2.4jtdm in automatic, ideally TI spec or if not Lusso, with electric folding mirrors/parking sensors/aluminium roof bars, as extras. Electric seats & satnav would be good, but they command extra money.

Last edited by rickya; 09 May 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09 May 2010, 10:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Have a good look at warranties
Old 10 May 2010, 09:14 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

friend had one, worst car ever in the world. just failure after failure,

igniton keys, gearbox, electrics. great when working. but.............
Old 10 May 2010, 09:20 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
friend had one, worst car ever in the world. just failure after failure,

igniton keys, gearbox, electrics. great when working. but.............
I was hoping I wouldnt hear horror stories like these with the new Alfas, I'd hate to be the unlucky sod who bought a 3 year old, out of warranty sh&ter!
Old 10 May 2010, 09:42 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

how many people come on the net or in person tell you about the fantastic reliability of their car? probably never!

You'll only hear horror stories on the net about cars. If you took the advice of this website, you'd never buy a Subaru because apparently the engines fail on all of them and they understeer into walls!

I have a 2001 147 and it only started to show its age last year. Its been a great fun car, engine has been fantastic but due to an ill-fitted front window screen i've had a few electrical problems due to water damage. Its let me down once since i've owned it and that was due to general wear and tear. Its got 102k on the clock at the mo, and i don't see any reason not to get at least another 50k out of it.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Ricky, they are not that bad, the 147's are a good car but all alfa's seem to suffer cambelt issues, but dont be put off, thats the petrol ones
JTD has 50k cambelt changes and its recommended you change the water pump, the engines themselves are very good (I have one in my astra ) and the 16v unit is better than the 8v one (as one astra owner found out last night ).
Its mainly bushes/suspension parts that are a nightmare but as pointed out, check out the alfa owners site, not the most reliable but then ive not seen any alfa's with their bonnets up at the side of the road, saw 3 vw group cars yesterday on the motorway though

Tony
Old 10 May 2010, 11:10 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

And much better reliability than a VW Toureag I was originally thinking of getting!

I think Im still undecided between a used (diesel) Alfa 159 Sportwagon Ti OR a Audi A6 2.7tdi S-line/LEmans in either 4 door or estate?

Last edited by rickya; 10 May 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:11 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

go for the audi mate!
Old 10 May 2010, 11:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Herbie.
go for the audi mate!
Did you not read my post 3 up? they are probably more unreliable than an alfa

Tony
Old 10 May 2010, 11:23 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

lololol
Old 10 May 2010, 11:26 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I just don't "get" Alfas any more - expensive, unreliable and not great to drive.

That 1.9 diesel is the same as in my old Astra - yes it's a good unit but mine failed BADLY at 42k miles with swirl flap failure. Had it not been under warranty, it would have cost me thousands.

I'd DEFINITELY look at the Audi.

The 2.7DTI is a good unit if you can find a nice example. And the A6 Avant has a big boot too (unlike the A4) and will last well.

Might be worth looking at the 330d BMW (or 530d) Touring too - loads of poke and great on fuel.

I did A4 Avant 3.0DTI vs BMW 330d Touring and the BMW won hands down (faster, better in fuel, bigger boot, lower C02, etc) then found a 335d at the last minute.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:26 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I just don't "get" Alfas any more - expensive, unreliable and not great to drive.

That 1.9 diesel is the same as in my old Astra - yes it's a good unit but mine failed BADLY at 42k miles with swirl flap failure. Had it not been under warranty, it would have cost me thousands.

I'd DEFINITELY look at the Audi.

The 2.7DTI is a good unit if you can find a nice example. And the A6 Avant has a big boot too (unlike the A4) and will last well.

Might be worth looking at the 330d BMW (or 530d) Touring too - loads of poke and great on fuel.

I did A4 Avant 3.0DTI vs BMW 330d Touring and the BMW won hands down (faster, better in fuel, bigger boot, lower C02, etc) then found a 335d at the last minute.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Had one of the boys at work who bought a vw golf, 5 years old, average miles, popped a piston, warrantied by vw, did they want to fix it, did they f**k
VW reliability for you

Tony
PS, on my motorway trips I see mainly german cars that are broken down, most being VW group ones, most being under 5 years old.

Last edited by TonyBurns; 10 May 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:39 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

We'v had our 2002 E46 330d for 4.5 years now & now need something newer & with a bigger boot. Iv test driven a few different 5 series in the past & though engine & handling is excellent I dont like the interior space or look & shape is quite old now.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Fair enough - the E91 boot is bigger than the E46 but it's certainly nothing like an A6 Avant in the back. The 159 boot is probably even smaller though.

I'm not mad keen on the 5er either - inlaws had a 535d Touring and it went back after four months (from new) with all sorts of problems. Put me off them. I do like the new one though - a lot.

A6 it is then!
Old 10 May 2010, 05:17 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

hi, the Ti is the best spec, the 2.4jtdm is a very heavy engine , it has 200bhp and tons of torque from very low in the range, I took a Brera with the same engine rounds Brands and was quite surprised how quick it could be but, you could really feel the weight up front.
The petrols recommend cambelts change at 36000 miles
Diesel at 70000 miles.
most change at 60000 for the diesel lump incl water pump ( known weakness)
I have got to like my Alfa despite the first 3 days I really thought I has dropped a bollock, once they prove that they aint gonna fall apart then you can relax and enjoy.
One other strange aspect, in all the time that I have had the Alfa nobody in any other car has been an ****, people let me out of side entrances, let me pass on the outside line on the motorway and even BMW , Merc and Audis have been know to pull over to let me by, its quite strange, my wife says that they just feel sorry for me knowing that they will pass me later on the hard sholder.
Old 10 May 2010, 06:10 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Surely the only reason to go for the 159 is the way it looks. I have to admit it is the only mid size saloon/estate car that does anything for me aesthetically but the trade-off is just too great for me. Give me function over form any day.
There's a good reason the 3 series is so popular........and despite being notionally the same size, there is far more room inside the BMW.

The reason you see so many German cars at the side of the road is that there are so many on the road in the first place. How many Passats/Golfs/3-series/A4s/A6s have sold compared to the 159.

It is still gorgeous though
Old 10 May 2010, 06:17 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

They are a thing of beauty that other road users appreciate.
I had always thought about a 159 but last week after seeing a beautiful red 159 ti saloon near Ikea Wembley I wanted one again. My wife thought it was a Maserati when we pulled up alongside!

The 2.4jtdm apparently averages about 30mpg which is not that great. Add to that the increased weight over the front axle of the bigger engine & I think the 1.9Jtdm Ti Sportwagon would be a better driving proposition as a family car.

Yes the Audi A6 2.7tdi would be a safer bet but sometimes you feel like living life dangerously & let your heart rule your head!!!
Old 10 May 2010, 06:17 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

They are a thing of beauty that other road users appreciate.
I had always thought about a 159 but last week after seeing a beautiful red 159 ti saloon near Ikea Wembley I wanted one again. My wife thought it was a Maserati when we pulled up alongside!

The 2.4jtdm apparently averages about 30mpg which is not that great. Add to that the increased weight over the front axle of the bigger engine & I think the 1.9Jtdm Ti Sportwagon would be a better driving proposition as a family car.

Yes the Audi A6 2.7tdi would be a safer bet but sometimes you feel like living life dangerously & let your heart rule your head!!!
Old 10 May 2010, 08:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah but, Audi Yaaaawn, BMW Yaaaawnn, common, predictable but very good, there is a 159 up the road and by god that is a stunning looking car, not for a saloon, just at any level it is perfect from every angle, completely overshadows the predictable BMW that isnt as handsome as it was before and the dull but solid and smart looking Audi.

Honestly, I walk past the 159 every time and it draws my eye and I am not an Alfa fan by any stetch but I would have a 159, it's as good on the inside, say what you want about the Italians, and its a cliche but they do looks, even if the rest isnt so good, but I cant beleive that they are quite as bad as their reputation, just as I cant beleive that Audi's and BMW's never ever go wrong, how much is perception and expectation and how much is actual reliability, my father in laws A4 had a new Auto box in the first six months and people seem to draw a veil over German engineering failures yet publicise Italian ones vocally, I am sure that the Germans are actually more reliable but it wouldnt stop me buying one as looks and image wise it just is in another league, with those who know...
Old 10 May 2010, 08:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well judging from all the people I know who have had one, their reliability is tragic. And all reliability surveys seem to agree.

Like the good looking drunk girl that is cr4p in bed and has the manners of a football thug. Initially appealing but a PITA to live with.

Yes Audis do have weaknesses in their gearboxes. But that's about it. And BMW? Hmmm...

FWD, Fiat engined and pretty poor handling vs AWD or RWD decent handling with top notch engines. I'm not very pro Audi but I'd get one ANY day over any Alfa. In fact I'd get a Skoda, Ford, Vauxhall, Saab, Volvo, Peugeot, Renault, Seat, etc, etc before any Alfa.
Old 12 May 2010, 04:05 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I had a Brera (basically a short wheelbase 159) which had the 2.4 JTDM engine & it was an horrifically expensive nightmare. EGR valves failed twice, had to have the steering rack replaced, inlet manifold replaced, suspension arms - all on a car that was barely 3 years old. I'd personally steer clear of them. The Brera cost me more to run in the end than my 911.
Looked & drove really well though, shame it didn't have the reliability to match.

Quick Reply: Alfa 159 Sportwagon - used?