Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS5

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2010, 10:58 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS5

Over 1800kgs but only 317lbs-ft?! That's not really going to help it. Evo reckon a standard S4 (with more torque) is just as quick in real world driving. It sooo badly needs a turbo. Low torque high bhp is fine in light cars but it seems daft in an RS5. Makes the new M5 (turbo'd V8) seem even more appealing.

The RS5 does look very nice though.
Old 27 April 2010, 02:39 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Bmw missed the boat with the new v8 turbo in the F10 M5
the current V10 is one of the best engines in the world.

Audi should of just drop the V10 from the Rs6 in the RS5
Old 27 April 2010, 08:29 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Or is it Audi / VAG group doing their normal trick of under quoting the BHP / torque figures to avoid a marketing clash ?
It is a very nice looking car - I really enjoyed the A5 3.0 diesel I got lent - S5 must be so much better
Have to agree with the turbo comments - so like the boot from a turbo
Richard
Old 27 April 2010, 09:40 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the RS5 was the first thing I read in this months Evo. What a disapointment.

As said above, an S4 is just as quick untill you get to top revs and/or top speed.

Audi have missed the mark with the RS5. Really should have strapped a couple Turbo's to it.
Old 27 April 2010, 02:28 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

A5/S5 is fugly though ... is the RS5 the same? Thought that manufacturers were moving back to turbos to get around the CO2 issues? I've not read up on it & am assuming non turbo if torque is so low?

TX.
Old 27 April 2010, 02:31 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes none turbo...but if they had drop the V10 from the R8 .......who needs a turbo !!!

Last edited by bighead; 27 April 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 27 April 2010, 02:45 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
A5/S5 is fugly though ... is the RS5 the same? Thought that manufacturers were moving back to turbos to get around the CO2 issues? I've not read up on it & am assuming non turbo if torque is so low?

TX.
From what I gather, the reason for a V8, was not to p1ss off S5 owners and their residuals.

That's why the V6 engine will be introduced to the S5 when the A5 goes under a facelift.

Last edited by stilover; 27 April 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 28 April 2010, 01:27 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Over 1800kgs but only 317lbs-ft?! That's not really going to help it. Evo reckon a standard S4 (with more torque) is just as quick in real world driving. It sooo badly needs a turbo. Low torque high bhp is fine in light cars but it seems daft in an RS5. Makes the new M5 (turbo'd V8) seem even more appealing.

The RS5 does look very nice though.

Its an interesting question, for certain.

Steve Sutcliff from Autocar recons the RS5 was as quick as a 458 Ferrari through the gears from 80 ish (can't recall exactly) to silly speeds. Can't see an S4 doing that.

So the standard S4 is "just as quick in the real world", but is it as good? Does it handle as well? is it as much fun to drive? Looks like a bag of ****e next to the RS5.

Your 335d is probably just as quick in the real world as an M3. Likewise a Focus RS or Clio Cup.

Lazy torque is great, but sometimes high revving n/a engines just cannot be beaten. What Evo (and you) seem to have missed is that Audi have given people the choice.
Old 28 April 2010, 01:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Steve Sutcliff from Autocar recons the RS5 was as quick as a 458 Ferrari through the gears from 80 ish (can't recall exactly) to silly speeds
LMAO.....not a prayer!
Old 28 April 2010, 01:45 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought Kenny, but he put it in black and white in his column last week.
Old 28 April 2010, 01:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I expect he'll be made to eat some humble pie at some point in the future.

For starters Audi have notoriously over-estimated the power and performance of recent n/a cars. Secondly, I'd fancy an F430 (tbh, probably a 360 as well) to walk away from an RS5 over that incriment. Finally, I highly doubt the 458 would be slower than an F430, in fact, it will probably be usefully quicker.
Old 28 April 2010, 02:17 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Ah, that old rolling road power figures chestnut

Come on Kenny, you know that such readings should only be used for comparative purposes as powertrain losses/wheel slip, etc, etc, can only ever be estimated.

But yes, I would agree. It seems a bit sensationalist to me.
Old 28 April 2010, 03:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog

Steve Sutcliff from Autocar recons the RS5 was as quick as a 458 Ferrari through the gears from 80 ish (can't recall exactly) to silly speeds. Can't see an S4 doing that.

So the standard S4 is "just as quick in the real world", but is it as good? Does it handle as well? is it as much fun to drive? Looks like a bag of ****e next to the RS5.

Your 335d is probably just as quick in the real world as an M3. Likewise a Focus RS or Clio Cup.

Lazy torque is great, but sometimes high revving n/a engines just cannot be beaten. What Evo (and you) seem to have missed is that Audi have given people the choice.
Totally agree but in such a heavy car? It just isn't really the right place to that engine. It's the R8 V10 with two cylinders chopped off apparently.

I guess an M3 is only 295lbs/ft and weighs over 1600kgs though - some here feel they need more torque too.
Old 28 April 2010, 07:20 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog

One of the most refreshing posts on here for a while
Old 28 April 2010, 08:47 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

When they first announced the RS5 I went to my local Audi dealer to enquire and maybe order, but was stunned to hear that while the "base " car is some £57K, a fully specced one will be £80K with ceramic brakes.
No way I would justify that when a one year old RS6 is circ £60K.
As far as it's pace relative to a V8 Ferrari, well my then new RS4 was just a little bit slower than my F1 Ferrari 360 (ran them up against each other to see), but I think the 458 and even 430 were in a different leagur to my 360.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/DSCN0628.jpg
Old 28 April 2010, 08:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Now that's just showing off... ;-)
Old 28 April 2010, 11:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Dave, I'm curious for a more detailed description of the difference if you don't mind. What speed range and how many car lengths did the Ferrari pull? Obviously this all took place in Germany
Old 28 April 2010, 11:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Dave, if you're ever needing someone to pilot one of your cars to compare again.. then please send a PM and I'll make the trip north to help out.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 April 2010, 10:28 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Dave, I'm curious for a more detailed description of the difference if you don't mind. What speed range and how many car lengths did the Ferrari pull? Obviously this all took place in Germany
Between about 60 and 110 the Ferrari gained about 3 car lengths. Did not explore above that.
Old 29 April 2010, 10:30 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Dave, if you're ever needing someone to pilot one of your cars to compare again.. then please send a PM and I'll make the trip north to help out.

Cheers,
Grant
I will bear it in mind, but have owned just one car for over a year now. It is a 2007 , 4.8iS X5 and I still love it!.
Old 29 April 2010, 10:42 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMiddleton
Between about 60 and 110 the Ferrari gained about 3 car lengths. Did not explore above that.
To me that is fairly significant over that range. I can only imagine the rate at which the Ferrari would leave the Audi behind would increase above those speeds. As every day and weekend cars go though.....you cant do too much better than 360+RS4!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMiddleton
I will bear it in mind, but have owned just one car for over a year now. It is a 2007 , 4.8iS X5 and I still love it!.
Up there with the SL55 for it's amazing V8 soundtrack...

Not very PC but who cares?!

I raced one (ahem) in my R32 and it was completely neck and neck - my six pot and his 8 pot both revving like crazy made a hell of a nice sound!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:51 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Up there with the SL55 for it's amazing V8 soundtrack...

Not very PC but who cares?!

I raced one (ahem) in my R32 and it was completely neck and neck - my six pot and his 8 pot both revving like crazy made a hell of a nice sound!
Yes; Agree about the V8 sound. I have test driven various other cars since I got the X5 (eg new M3, Audi S4, RR Sport superchaged) but always get back into the X5 and say to myself that it suits me better than any of them; it has EVERY extra and when Panoramic sunroof cover is open it is like driving a convertable. Just the fuel consumption which is scary!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../X5/X548IS.jpg

Best car I EVER drove is below!!!!! (Fuel consumption was even worse by a long way!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...02006/F1-1.jpg
Old 29 April 2010, 12:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Dave, I'm thinking of getting something (more) sensible in the near future as the GTR is far too fast for the road. What is the ride quality and refinement like on the X5 compared to other stuff? Has it been reliable?
Old 29 April 2010, 12:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dave - nice. Right colour, right engine and yes, that sunroof is brilliant! My inlaws have one with a lesser engine and that roof (we have similar in our 3er Touring - huge sunroof - I love it!) and top spec - just does everything. Comfy, spacious and has genuinely good handling. Also came in very handy when it snowed.

Yes they are unpopular with many but if it does what you want, sod it.

That "other" car looks like it might be a bit back off road. Although it'll struggle to be as bad off tarmac as our 335d...!
Old 29 April 2010, 12:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Dave, I'm thinking of getting something (more) sensible in the near future as the GTR is far too fast for the road. What is the ride quality and refinement like on the X5 compared to other stuff? Has it been reliable?
How can it be too fast? What are we talking? 0-100mph in 7s? Rapid, granted....but surely not uncontrollable or scary? You sure you're not just getting old John?
Old 29 April 2010, 12:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Too fast? Don't press the pedal so far down then.
Old 29 April 2010, 01:01 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Too fast? Don't press the pedal so far down then.
Just what i thought - block of wood under the loud pedal

Steve
Old 29 April 2010, 01:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well I'm not now pressing the pedal so far down, but that is why it is a bit pointless.

The relevance is more the 60mph limits in which I drive. From passing the slowest traffic to having to lift off you have about 2 seconds of acceleration. From stationary you have about 3 seconds. Any corner that you can see around you can go around at 60mph without even trying. Pulling 1g on a roundabout without even any tyre squeal or even a twitch is trvial.

The consequences of giving a car this fast a workout these days are horrible.
Old 29 April 2010, 01:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

.....but was that not all pretty much the case with your Evo and scooby before it?

Quick Reply: Audi RS5