Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Car problem help/advice needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2010, 07:56 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car problem help/advice needed please.

Car problem help/advice needed please.
My oldest daughter's partner was made redundant some months ago so he decided to put a taxi/hackney carriage on the road using the family car and earn his living that way. Everything was fine until recently when the car developed a fault. The car is an 05 plate Vauxhall Vectra petrol 2.2 direct and he's been told by a mate and also the local Vauxhall main dealer that it needs a new crankshaft. However the main dealer also said that if a new crankshaft was fitted it could upset the balance of the engine and may well go wrong again and the engine could seize up. They then went on to say a new engine would be a better bet and quoted £3000.00 for that. My daughter's partner reckons the car is only worth £4000.00 if there was nothing wrong with it but really he has no choice as he has very little in the way of savings.( i will give him the money for a new engine if that's the way to go ) Is the Vauxhall dealer telling the truth ie is there a good chance that fitting a new crankshaft could upset the balance of the engine ? should he get a new engine fitted instead ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Geoff.
Old 12 April 2010, 07:59 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Not mechanically minded by by means, but that sounds like a complete crock of brown stuff to me.

Hope it gets sorted as quickly and cheaply as possible.
Old 13 April 2010, 10:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a con to me. A new crankshaft should be balanced when being made, and the pistons/rods are already balanced so there should not be any problem in that respect.

You don't say what the fault is by the way-that would help when it comes to advice.

Les
Old 13 April 2010, 04:10 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Sounds like a con to me. A new crankshaft should be balanced when being made, and the pistons/rods are already balanced so there should not be any problem in that respect.

You don't say what the fault is by the way-that would help when it comes to advice.

Les
When the car is driven at over 40 mph Les, it becomes very noisy, "sounds like a tank" is what my daughter's partner told me. It also judders and the temperature gauge rises.

The following is a reply I received from a guy on CTRO forum.

I think that on an 05, it's a pre face lift vectra-C

There is a well known fault with the 2.2 direct (pre facelift) which is that the timing chain doesn't get sufficient lubrication. It's down to an oil flow hole that is too small and can get blocked with crud, so regular oil changes (more frequent than vauxhall recommend) help to prevent it. When this does go wrong, the chain can slip a tooth, with the resulting catastrophic effects of knacked con rods etc.

I'll see if I can find more info for you, as if this is the case, I *might* remember reading that some people got a contribution from Vauxhall for the repairs.