Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes CL 63AMG

Thoughts on these?

http://mercedesbenzcl63.info/images/...3_amg_1600.jpg

http://www.mercedes-benz-diecast.com...-amg-cl-63.jpg

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com.../rear-34-view/

A couple of years ago I would have questioned the sanity of anybody who bought one of these. If you wanted a proper sports car buy a 997 turbo, if you wanted a powerful limo buy a big engined S class benz, right?

I'd love a 997 turbo but two small kids means its very unpractical, and I can't afford to run two high value cars. I'm also not prepared to have a flash sports car for myself and then carry my family around in a Ford Mondeo, thats just not on.

Anyway, this car seems to have

1) Road presence but without undue attention

2) Enough power to never be embarrassed by chavs in hot hatches (and scoobies) and probably faster than vanilla porsches etc (not that I'm competitive like that of course)

3) Plenty of space and toys upfront for me and the mrs, and what looks like enough space for two small kids at the back. Also I'm led to believe a boot thats big enough to hold the weekly shopping (need to check whether family holiday luggage will fit)

I've had a smaller AMG car before and its biggest problem was traction off the line when the ground was moist. Maybe I just need to adjust my driving style?

Any thoughts? Is it just too naff?
Old 04 April 2010, 11:56 AM
Fulmentaljack3t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks the business though a bit "sparkly disco ball"

sounds awesome just dont try to go to quick round any twisty 'b' roads!
Old 04 April 2010, 12:37 PM
amar7274
Scooby Newbie

I sold my M3 CSL last month and bought a C63 AMG and what I would say is that if you are considering a CL63 AMG make sure you source one that has Performance Pack and an LSD fitted. Both of these are optional extras. My car has both and believe me it makes a monumental difference to the way the car rides and handles.
This will definately help improve traction on greasy road surfaces.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 04 April 2010, 12:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Amar, that looks nice mate, anymore pics? I had a C32 AMG quite a few years ago which I chopped in for the M5. I think mine had 350ish BHP which is bettered now by your version.

I never knew about the LSD and performance pack, what does the latter add?
Old 04 April 2010, 01:16 PM
amar7274
Scooby Newbie

The Performance Pack optional extra which my car has is a must have optional extra. I'm amazed at the number of AMG cars that do not have an LSD fitted as an extra. Mercedes should offer this as standard like BMW's M division. I have driven cars that have it fitted and those that don't. It really does feel like a completely different car. Without it the car simply cannot cope with that much power and torque going through the rear wheels. It's true what they say, power is nothing without control.
The Performance Pack has recently been changed to Performance Pack Plus. See the link enclosed for further information as to what this is:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mercede...s-ar80602.html
Here are some more pics for you:

Note the steering wheel, it's alcantara at the sides biggest giveaway that the car has Performace Pack fitted.

Old 04 April 2010, 01:44 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

amar

very nice indeed.

What year is the car?

How does it compare to the CSL? ~ I know they're very different cars.

Only thing that has put me off AMG in the past is the autobox.
Old 04 April 2010, 04:02 PM
amar7274
Scooby Newbie

My car is a 2009 model.
The M3 CSL was for me a car that could not be used everyday. The ride is firm and on long journeys it can become tiresome. Whilst I had mine I also had a daily runaround. The CSL would only get driven on the weekends and when the weather was nice. It is one of the best cars that i've had the pleasure of owning. It really is a superb car that has no weaknesses. The noise it makes on full throtle makes the hairs on your neck stand up. Awesome car and in years to come low mileage examples will no doubt fetch strong money. One of the best cars to ever come out of BMW'S M divsion.

A picture of my CSL:

The C63 AMG with the right options is a phenominal car I absolutely love mine, it has soo much power it's unreal sounds great too.
Old 04 April 2010, 06:41 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

That C63 is
Old 04 April 2010, 06:49 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

i say go for it, looks great you're probably limited to german uber-saloons anyway?!? bmw m5, audi rs6 etc
Old 04 April 2010, 07:00 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Amar, looks really nice.

Funnily enough I almost bought a M3 CSL before the AMG. It would have been my daily driver (I had no kids at the time) it was the non adjustability of those bucket type seats that made it a no no, I had backache after the 1 hour test drive.

Are you sure the performance package applies to the CL AMG as well as the C 63 AMG?
Old 04 April 2010, 08:03 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Lovely motor Amar .

Get it bought dingdongler .The sound will be awesome and it really is a car for all seasons so to speak .
It will do everything you need and more .Traction is going to be dependant on how much you want !!!! Pootling about to the shops will be fine .Traffic light Grand Prix with the local Chav and you may want a little spin just for effect as you leave him behind .!!!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2010, 09:16 PM
amar7274
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Amar, looks really nice.

Funnily enough I almost bought a M3 CSL before the AMG. It would have been my daily driver (I had no kids at the time) it was the non adjustability of those bucket type seats that made it a no no, I had backache after the 1 hour test drive.

Are you sure the performance package applies to the CL AMG as well as the C 63 AMG?
Sorry i'm not sure if the Performance Package applies to the rest of the AMG range. You would have to contact your local dealer for confirmation.
Old 04 April 2010, 09:42 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes the C63 amg need the performance pack to keep pace with the M3......i had look at it before i decide on my M3, the M3 just piped it in all round performance wise for me, but it does have a awesome engine and quality interior(I think better spec than the M3 as well in standard trim).
Old 04 April 2010, 10:56 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

I, too, am looking at one of these as well as an Audi RS4 and the newer BMW M3 V8. I know that speed and power aren't everything but the last 15 seconds of the Top Gear clip below helped me decide to go for the M3.

Top Gear
Old 05 April 2010, 12:50 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
I, too, am looking at one of these as well as an Audi RS4 and the newer BMW M3 V8. I know that speed and power aren't everything but the last 15 seconds of the Top Gear clip below helped me decide to go for the M3.

Top Gear
The ethos of AMG and M sport cars differ, if you want the best handling car then M sport will always take it. If you want something very very fast but more relaxing to drive then AMG is the one.

I've owned both (as well as Audi RS series) and both are fantastic in their own way. Its a shame that some forums seem to be littered by the respective fanboys arguing about which is best, they are just different imho.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the M3 Craig
Old 05 April 2010, 01:03 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

That C63 is amazing.

Went round the track at Merc World Broklands in one, and fell in love!!!
Old 05 April 2010, 01:11 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Dingdongler;9329159]The ethos of AMG and M sport cars differ, if you want the best handling car then M sport will always take it. If you want something very very fast but more relaxing to drive then AMG is the one.

QUOTE]

yes ...with the mercedes brand its seems to target the maturer person ...but the "M" is very capable at been a relaxing drive though , the DCT gearbox is just surperb compared to my old M5's smg box

Last edited by bighead; 05 April 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05 April 2010, 01:11 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
The ethos of AMG and M sport cars differ, if you want the best handling car then M sport will always take it. If you want something very very fast but more relaxing to drive then AMG is the one.

I've owned both (as well as Audi RS series) and both are fantastic in their own way. Its a shame that some forums seem to be littered by the respective fanboys arguing about which is best, they are just different imho.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the M3 Craig
I'm with you Dingdongler .

I love the fact that all these cars have their own characters which makes the decision making even harder. They are all fantastic. It's a shame that there isn't enough time and money to own them all!!

Craig.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:55 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

The CL63 AMG is a great car. The interior is a nice place to be and you can drive it to suit your mood. It can do the mundane slow speed stuff and the screw you fast stuff with wonderful sound to accompany. It's a big car and has plenty of space inside. Loads of toys, it's definitely worth checking out.
Old 06 April 2010, 11:18 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I'm suprised (and disappointed!)at how well these cars hold their value. I always thought big petrol engined Mercs and BMs plummeted in value. The cheapest I can find are highish mileage ie 40k+ miles, 2007 so out of warranty, and are still £65k. I was hoping to get a mid 2008 avg mileage for that money.

They are circa £110k new but for this category of car that's really good residual value. I really didn't want to spend over £65k but don't fancy chopping my 5 year old car in for a 3 year old one, if that makes sense?
I've been looking at the S63 AMG as well which comes in a bit cheaper, but the coupe is actually quite a thing of muscular beauty which I would enjoy looking at.

Perhaps with fuel costs rising at the moment they may drop in value a bit faster over the next few months?