Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan leaf????

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 02:26 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan leaf????

I have been reading about it for a few days, 100 mile range, 30 minute (ish) recharge.... as things stand (and I am sure this will change rapidly) free recharge points in London, free tax, free congestion charge.
Is it a no brainer? I am very tempted to get one for the daily hack.

2011 Nissan LEAF: Charging Capabilities Could Make Range Limitless - All Cars Electric
Old 18 March 2010, 02:36 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

"In theory the system would work to extend the vehicles range to an almost limitless amount, but there is a catch. The charging system would cost around $45,000 to install it in your own home."

That's quite a catch. And what happens when/if you move house?
Old 18 March 2010, 02:44 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Why would you need a charging system, since everything on the news and the Nissan press statement say the vehicle is 'zero emissions'
Old 18 March 2010, 02:45 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

It does appear that they have a few details to iron out..... I have just signed up for info on one anyways.
If we can all use electric cars as our daily hack cars then it will leave more petrol for the weekend cars.... In my twisted logic it will anyways.
I think that if you really love fast cars then you will get an electric one to safe guard the long term future of the petrol engine.
Old 18 March 2010, 02:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
It does appear that they have a few details to iron out..... I have just signed up for info on one anyways.
If we can all use electric cars as our daily hack cars then it will leave more petrol for the weekend cars.... In my twisted logic it will anyways.
I think that if you really love fast cars then you will get an electric one to safe guard the long term future of the petrol engine.
Knowing how the govt think Im not so sure. More electric = good idea = rape performance car owners even more with a view to getting rid totally.

Simon
Old 18 March 2010, 03:58 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Why would you need a charging system, since everything on the news and the Nissan press statement say the vehicle is 'zero emissions'

It's electric.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
It's electric.
And how do you "make" electricity? From thin air?
Old 18 March 2010, 04:25 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

And how long before the Government have to introduce a tax on the electric because of a loss of revenue from Petrol?

Wonder where the batteries are made? China maybe?
Old 18 March 2010, 04:26 PM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

“The Leaf is based on a special electric vehicle chassis and will have an average range of 100 miles and a top speed of 90mph, which Nissan claims will be sufficient for more than 90 per cent of UK car customers journeys”.

“Although Nissan has not given prices of the Leaf yet, it says that the cost will be in line with an equivalent family hatchback. This is unlikely to include the lithium-ion battery, which is estimated to cost about £20,000”.

Must try harder Nissan. Infact, don't... Develop a faster, more emission producing GT-R, that is powered by lefty green ******* internal organs.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the last bit - £20,000 for the Li on battery.

Batteries Not Included

Utter fail. If its not hydrogen fuel cell, its not going to work.

I don't understand why LPG isn't as popular. I've got a 2000 4.0L Jeep and it takes a while to get used to the rabbits crying at the side of the road as I gas them into oblivion. However, if I put it on LPG (which I will most likely) the emissions drop massively.

So rather than spend £30,000 on a brand new car with all the production costs and raping of the world, why aren't we being encouraged to buy 2nd hand cars (rather than scrapping perfectly good cars) and have them converted to lower emission fuels.

When you've got the above option, to buy one of these new bullsh1t story cars is just laughable.

Last edited by EddScott; 18 March 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Edd - because the goverments of the World fall over themselves to "support" the car industry. More cars = more tax. Cunning ways of taxing the motorist = more revenue.

If dodgy economics and politics weren't involved, we'd be much much closer to low/zero emission cars. But they are so we aren't.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
And how do you "make" electricity? From thin air?
"The LEAF;s 48 lithium ion modules offer several different charging methods. Of course there is the standard 100 volt method which takes around 16 hours to charge, and then there the 220 volt connection that cuts the charge time down to half, but what about the fast charge option?"
Old 18 March 2010, 04:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
"The LEAF;s 48 lithium ion modules offer several different charging methods. Of course there is the standard 100 volt method which takes around 16 hours to charge, and then there the 220 volt connection that cuts the charge time down to half, but what about the fast charge option?"
Yes I know it's electric, but if you're having to pay a fortune to charge it (using electricity from various high emission sources) then it's actually as "zero emission" as a big field of farting cows.
Old 18 March 2010, 05:52 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The Daily Mash - SUNDERLAND TO BUILD CAR THAT WON'T REACH DONCASTER

5t.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Well as I see it, it's just another exercise in reducing your carbon footprint, which we should all be aiming to do.

I'm proud to announce that today, I've done just that.

I've taken the oder-eaters outta my shoes.

Old 18 March 2010, 09:14 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

It's true that electric cars produce CO2 indirectly as they need to be charged by Drax however petrol cars have 'hidden' carbon costs too.

Refining Crude into petrol is enormously energy intensive - I'd be interested to see how much energy is needed to produce a litre of petrol.

The type of oil we produce and therefore refine in the UK also takes more energy to refine into diesel so for all the lower CO2 emissions for a diesel car, it produces as much CO2 as petrol when you consider it's production.

Steve

PS I'm not a greenie but I do think that we should look at stopping chopping down the Amazon and Indonesian forests to make biofuels and palm oil before we stop producing carbon based fuels.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:14 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

How many carbons are emitted in the production of this 'zero' emission car?
Old 18 March 2010, 11:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we constantly bitch about oil prices, at least this is one in the eye for rip off petrol prices and the companies that control them.

also when the first combuston cars came about i bet their range was a lot lower and top speed a lot less!

and at least you have the option of generating electricity at home (no matter how slowly) can't say the same about brewing petrol in the shed.

i don't give a **** about carbon **** print, or peak oil bollocks, global warming/climate change/solar flare but i would like the choice to a viable alternative to oil based products rather than having my pants pulled down by UK Govt PLc and petrol companies.
Old 18 March 2010, 11:43 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ah, those rip-off oil companies. So, with an electric car we get one over on them and deal with the infinitely preferable power companies ... So, how much will it cost to charge your car up? I've not seen any figures for this yet .... And electricity costs are not going to go down.....

Dave
well a choice of 2 is better than no choice at all......
Old 19 March 2010, 10:16 AM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones

i don't give a **** about carbon **** print, or peak oil bollocks, global warming/climate change/solar flare but i would like the choice to a viable alternative to oil based products rather than having my pants pulled down by UK Govt PLc and petrol companies.
My thoughts exactly. However, don't believe for a second that the oil alternative, whatever it turns out to be, won't be taxed to oblivion. This is how our country generates revenue. Blatent, shameless, theft. Whatever the solution, it will still cost us a ******* fortune.
Old 19 March 2010, 10:34 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My parents have a lot "green" implements strapped to their house. If they produce to much energy it gets sold back to the grid.
Should this electric thing actually catch on it will be interesting to see how they will stop you getting free, self generated fuel from solar and wind.

I was more interested in getting one to reduce my monthly outgoings rather than reduce my carbon footprint. I am sure before the launch a great new tax will be announced or solar panels will become a pay and display thing.
Old 19 March 2010, 12:40 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

The only Carbon i'm worried about is my new Carbon Fibre RayBan's
Old 19 March 2010, 12:58 PM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
The only Carbon i'm worried about is my new Carbon Fibre RayBan's
Hey, keep that hush hush! Gordon B**tard will tax them next!
Old 19 March 2010, 04:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

If they were cheap enough i would have an electric car no problems at all, something like the Tesla would suit me to the ground, why?

Because as part of my franchise arrangement for the carwash, i simply do not pay for any electricity used at work, at all

I could top the thing up all day with no issues and it would mean i never had a problem with overnight charging at home.

Anything needs charged up like laptops/mobiles/batteries we do them at work
My mate even has a fecking washing machine at his to do the washing lmfao, i wouldnt stoop that low though, i find it hilarious, no water charge either
Old 19 March 2010, 04:57 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
My parents have a lot "green" implements strapped to their house. If they produce to much energy it gets sold back to the grid.
Nissan manufacturing plant in Sunderland does this with wind turbines, on a windy day they actually get cash back.