Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VAG - ABS Failures ... major issue!

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2010, 10:00 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VAG - ABS Failures ... major issue!

Interesting, considering they rant and rave about their quality products!!

This part is failing with amazing regularity - at a staggering cost to the unfortunate owner of £1500!!

VW Golf ABS failure - Telegraph
Old 27 February 2010, 10:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

VAG reliability is a myth ! I KNOW this unfortunately
Old 27 February 2010, 10:11 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Originally Posted by corradoboy
VAG reliability
those two words do not belong ANYWHERE on the same planet together. Anyone who's ever had a Dub derivative will tell you this.
Old 27 February 2010, 10:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree ! I had a VW Corrado for 13 years and it never had less than five concurrent faults, at least ! The money I spent keeping it roadworthy would easily have funded a Scoob many years before I saw the light and got one. Now the Scoob's gone and I own two Skodas, and they have an ever-growing list of faults.
Old 27 February 2010, 10:31 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

I know that feeling well enough, If my car has no faults at any particular point in time, it gives me the heebies.. i just know its plotting to develop one just at the time i dont really want it to.

Its all part of the Master-Plan thought up between Adolf and Ferdinand.
Old 27 February 2010, 10:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Could be worse, it could have chocolate pistons.... oh.... sorry
Old 28 February 2010, 01:55 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Bmw are no better IMO, swirl flaps failure, failing alloys etc never admiting theres a problem.
Old 28 February 2010, 11:14 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits
those two words do not belong ANYWHERE on the same planet together. Anyone who's ever had a Dub derivative will tell you this.
Rubbish, utter rubbish.

My old man has had VAG cars (Audi) for the last 12 years or so. Not one has had any fault whatsoever.

I've had my Golf for a year and a half now. Not a single thing has gone wrong with it. So much so, that i've ordered a new VW.

Every manufacturer has at some point had to sanction a recall for something or other. Or maybe some cars just seem to be the ones that always go wrong.

I've owned Fords, Renaults, Peugeot's and Subaru's. Each one has had some kind of fault. Indeed the Subaru needed not just the rear suspension changing under warranty, but the front too.

Up untill last month, people on here would no doubt be saying, if it's reliability you want, buy a Toyota. You wouldn't now, would you?
Old 28 February 2010, 11:25 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I had this on one of my cars at the same time as an airbag problem (also common) -was a skoda

The paid 60% towards the bill- VAG will pay 100% on cars less than 4 years old and less than 100k miles is pushed.
Old 28 February 2010, 11:32 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Honest Johns take on ESP problems - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community

Steve
Old 28 February 2010, 11:32 AM
worley
Scooby Regular

The joys of VAG ownership; I returned after 4 years in the wilderness and got a new Golf VI as a company car - After 20 kms the tyre pressure warning light came on.

I almost didn't check the tyres visually as guess what? A sensor fault.

Nik
Old 28 February 2010, 11:37 AM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Rubbish, utter rubbish.

My old man has had VAG cars (Audi) for the last 12 years or so. Not one has had any fault whatsoever.

I've had my Golf for a year and a half now. Not a single thing has gone wrong with it. So much so, that i've ordered a new VW.

Every manufacturer has at some point had to sanction a recall for something or other. Or maybe some cars just seem to be the ones that always go wrong.

I've owned Fords, Renaults, Peugeot's and Subaru's. Each one has had some kind of fault. Indeed the Subaru needed not just the rear suspension changing under warranty, but the front too.

Up untill last month, people on here would no doubt be saying, if it's reliability you want, buy a Toyota. You wouldn't now, would you?
such a contradiction.
im not saying (unlike you) that other cars dont have their own problems, and Im also not necessarily talking about recalls.. Im from a Dub background and have always owned predominantly these types of vehicles, so can only speak on issues i know of. and as i said... **MY CAR**
(Im talking about issues that my car has NOW).

you and your family must have fell really lucky if none of you have ever had a problem with any VW owned by you.
have you written and mentioned this to VW? they may want to use you in their publicity blurb.

Last edited by Dan Gleebits; 28 February 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 28 February 2010, 12:24 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Is this when the brake pedal goes rock hard and you lose all your retardation?
There was an audi at work which did this every now and again, really quite scary when you're approaching a queue of stationary traffic....
astraboy.
Old 28 February 2010, 12:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our GTI over it first 45 months has had more faults than any other car we've had at any age. Including a £1500 ABS/ESP failure just out of warranty which the dealer did pay 100% of after some negotiation.
Old 28 February 2010, 02:56 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I must be a lucky one having owned a polo, four golfs, an S3 and my current A4, all of which have been faultless.

Nik
Old 28 February 2010, 03:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by astraboy
Is this when the brake pedal goes rock hard and you lose all your retardation?
There was an audi at work which did this every now and again, really quite scary when you're approaching a queue of stationary traffic....
astraboy.

My Subaru used to do that (ABS/front brake fault). Ironically it met with the rear end of an Audi that DID stop. (I laugh now, but I didn't laugh at the time )

You have to take honest John with a bit of salt; A few people report a similar problem then all of a sudden a whole car model is condemned. Bit like Imprezas and MAF failures, which funnily enough Honest John doesn't even mention. Yet he mentions a clutch on the alternator on later models - Impreza alternators don't have clutches Charge rate is regulated via the voltage regulator

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 February 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 28 February 2010, 05:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4 people I know with vw/seat/skoda's have had problems with them, one a low mileage 2ltr TDI leon, injector failure just outside the 3 year warranty, 900 quid to replace
One just bought a vw from the main dealer, 2 weeks later and piston through the block
The skoda owner only had one issue with injectors at 140k miles, not bad for a 3 year old car
The last one is a vw bora, no engine issues, just the rest falling apart lol

VW reliability is a myth.

Tony
Old 01 March 2010, 10:54 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The more and more that things are built to a price, the more potential for it all to go **** up.

This kind of thing will happen more and more in the future as margins are squeezed.

Look at Mercedes, they used to build them like tanks! nowadays they are ****e, the amount of them we see with rust and bits of trim loose inside........
Old 01 March 2010, 11:43 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
Rubbish, utter rubbish.

At leaset Toyota acknowledged the fact!
Old 01 March 2010, 06:44 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoboy
VAG reliability is a myth ! I KNOW this unfortunately
+1 I've had the misfortune to own a Golf and a Polo and both were utterly unreliable with constant faults. My 03STI on the other hand has covered over 80,000 miles, 45,000 of which at over 400bhp and (touch wood) I have not had a single problem of any description whatsoever. I'm not saying Subarus are the best thing since sliced bread, but it does irritate to hear this myth about VAG reliabilty perpetuated over and over...