Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

GTR 35 - no good if you are tall

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2010, 07:23 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTR 35 - no good if you are tall

Getting fed up waiting for the order on the Porsche GT3 to come to a confirmed Build date (was meant to be March 2010 but Porsche customer service is close to contempt, if not outright deceipt) so I thought I'd look at the GTR 35

Very smooth power delivery - almost effortless. Its lacking a bit of power that I think a remap and a few small mods will cure (I reckon full decat and boost increase but I havent read up on the GTR yet) - I'd say it needs about another 100 bhp so its not too bad - it wouldnt stand a chance against my Subaru to 150mph but it would feel a lot smoother getting there...

I had read a few reviews before hand on the hard ride - not sure where they are coming from - even in race mode it is softer than my STI Forrester! (I have one of these and a highly modded STI5).. very easy to live with. Tonnes of extra's

My main issue as I'm 6ft 2 is the seating. With the seat all the way down the only way I could see out of the car and stop my head touching the roof was to seriously recline the seat. With a race helmet that would be worse

I would imagine that anyone over 6 ft tall with have some real issues. I came out of the car after the test drive with a neck hurting quite badly from almost crouching in the car

Maybe the rails can be worked on to get the car lower?.. or a different seat put in - I know I'm fairly tall but there are plenty of people taller than me - and not once have I seen this raised in any reviews

Anyone else noticed this??
Old 04 February 2010, 07:27 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you need a people carrier ***
but just think if you are in a ferrari its will be even worst !!
Old 04 February 2010, 07:32 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Oy... watch your spelling

I cant see myself ever in a Ferrari then you can call me that name

I have kept the £10k deposit down on the GT3 but will have a look at the Lambo's also
I am still considering a GTR as I think that it must be possible to get the seat a bit lower - it would need about an inch to be more comfortable

There isnt any space for seat belt harnesses either which I found very strange as the seat as it is is too comfortable and doesnt really hold you in place
Old 04 February 2010, 09:03 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria

Very smooth power delivery - almost effortless. Its lacking a bit of power that I think a remap and a few small mods will cure (I reckon full decat and boost increase but I havent read up on the GTR yet) - I'd say it needs about another 100 bhp so its not too bad - it wouldnt stand a chance against my Subaru to 150mph but it would feel a lot smoother getting there...
Never heard or read anyone ever say that about a GT-R.

Think you may be disapointed with your GT3 then, as the GT-R IS a faster car.

As for the "I'm sick of waiting for my new GT3 to arrive" bit. My heart bleads for you............

with envy, you lucky g!t.

Old 04 February 2010, 09:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some GTRs with just a remap do high 10s on the quarter mile.

I'm 6'0" and it is OK for me, I think it depends on the torso length whether your head hits the roof, a guy I'm working with at Cobb on the GTR is 6'8" and says it is OK for him.
Old 04 February 2010, 10:16 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
you need a people carrier ***
but just think if you are in a ferrari its will be even worst !!
I'm just under 6ft5. A couple of years back I was fortunate to drive my mates F1 360. I had no trouble findng a comfortable position
Old 04 February 2010, 11:01 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

stilover
I dont think there is much in it on a track between GT3 and a Nissan but driving a Porsche is more 'involving'... driving the Nissan is almost effortless... except my neck hurting
Main reason for getting GT3 is very strong residuals and its a non-turbo hence no money being thrown away trying to modify it

John
I wonder if there was an issue with the downward electric movement as the up/down didnt seem to make that much difference.... I've never been in a car where, when I put the seat in a normal, near vertical position I'd need a sun-roof as my head would not quite fit (maybe I'm just too used to a near vertical driving my sti on the track)
I guess I could get used to a reclined seat.....The guy at 6ft 8 must have really long legs....
Really surprised at all the gizmo's including all the speakers.... it would be a very easy task to start stripping weight out of a GTR!!
Is the Cobb system something you can do yourself or is this one that for optimal set up needs remapping?
Despite the issues with the height I've bought one anyway as the wife likes it - so if I cant get used to it she can have it
Ordered yesterday, delivery 2nd week of April - they will try and get chassis number to tax 31st March to avoid the £950 tax sting...
If 'we' dont like I can sell at not a huge loss.. and just sit tight for the Porsche which I still have the deposit on
Old 04 February 2010, 11:06 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Despite the issues with the height I've bought one anyway as the wife likes it - so if I cant get used to it she can have it
Ordered yesterday, delivery 2nd week of April - they will try and get chassis number to tax 31st March to avoid the £950 tax sting...
If 'we' dont like I can sell at not a huge loss.. and just sit tight for the Porsche which I still have the deposit on

you got any jobs going

Nice choice of cars
Old 04 February 2010, 11:19 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Well at least the Datsun is a lot cheaper than the Porsche at £60600.. I guess higher due to VAT rise but you get a slightly different MY10... with mods to the launch control to put less stress on the gearbox and other mechanicals and slightly increased power
Porsche have just upped the GT3 price by £5k (VAT and MY010 price rise - there is no price protection for Build dates after April.. and then there is the £950 tax disc) so porsche with options will probably be £95k

Will post some piccies of the Nissan when I get it
Ordered Black Edition which comes with Red stitching.. who cares but Black Alloys which I like (I am going for a Black Metallic Porsche and would be looking at Black alloys on this...)
Wheels look huge close up and they are at 20 inches but I didnt notice any tramlining or harsh ride... 18*7.5 35 profiles felt worse on the Scoob but I think its because the Nissan is just so heavy

Last edited by Fangoria; 04 February 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 12:13 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Ah, the Gangsta Lean!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2503/...142b4c25_o.png

TX.

My main issue as I'm 6ft 2 is the seating. With the seat all the way down the only way I could see out of the car and stop my head touching the roof was to seriously recline the seat. With a race helmet that would be worse
Old 05 February 2010, 09:37 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Is Fangoria real?! All this talk of mega power STis, Porsches, etc.

I'm sure you are but it does seem unbelievable.

Back to my mead and gruel...
Old 05 February 2010, 12:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Cobb Accessport comes with some base maps for various states of exhaust modification and octane. They are on the cautious side because if the boost is pushed hard the injectors can max out on some cars in some circumstances. However, a completely standard car even using this fairly soft map has done a 10.9 quarter in the US. 11.0 with custom map in the UK is the best for an otherwise standard car. The fuelling is full time closed loop lambda, so little tuning to do there on stock intakes, but a custom map can benefit from tweakage to the ignition timing and wastegate duty cycle.

Presently my work is to allow people to have a pop at a Veyron for acceleration (not top speed) which will need about 850 to 900 BHP. There are issues with the gearbox control over about 750 lbft that need to be resolved. The stock turbo/stock injector/stock intake type maps to 600 BHP are mature now.

Last edited by john banks; 05 February 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:18 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Thanks
I'll see what I can glean from the GTR owners forum and see what to do
I dont want to go excessive - will see what I think

Mattee - yes I'm real and no bull**** on this. I have an STI Forrester (Litchfield), an STI5 which has about 500bhp which I'm in the process of going up to a 2.35 litre thorugh Lateral

I have just ordered and committed with my £3500 deposit to a Nissan GTR and that comes in April

'If' I dont like the Nissan I will sell it and take up the Porsche allocation where I have put down a £10k deposit - last May - but this is just 'an intention' to buy and puts you on Porsches National database and then you get a car dependent on the dealers allowed allocation amounts... its only once they confirm a build date and you agree to the specs that you are then committed
I can pull out of this at any time

In all likelihood I will either keep the Nissan and cancel the Porsche or I will do the opposite

The Forrester is a family car - albeit with 330bhp and driven by the wife. And I enjoy the Subaru when it is driving ok - I have had it since new over 10 years ago and I am not going to part - so will effectively have 2 cars!!
Old 05 February 2010, 01:37 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

The Forrester is a family car - albeit with 330bhp and driven by the wife. And I enjoy the Subaru when it is driving ok - I have had it since new over 10 years ago and I am not going to part - so will effectively have 2 cars!!
Had brand new STI Forrester for 18 months (it was new October 2007)
Old 05 February 2010, 01:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in the comparison between the 500 BHP STI 5 and the stock GTR. Despite the weight difference, from the figures, I think the GTR accelerates through the gears like my old 2.5 MY00 did with a rotated GT30R. It doesn't feel as dramatic for sure, but the combination of torque, wider power band, less lag, no loss of boost or acceleration through gearchanges, better aerodynamics and fewer drivetrain losses easily make up for it to give mid 11 quarters on the stock GTR in the 120s. However, my old Subaru used to only be accelerating about 75% of the time because of gearchanges.

There have been interesting comparisons between 500-600 BHP Evos and GTRs with similar power, and again despite the weight difference the GTR is usually at least as fast. You can spend tens of thousands on mods and still fall short and break more often I think.

You hardly need converting, but I think when you live with a stock GTR even you might be surprised how much speed it puts on on roads you know. With a remap you can have quite significant traction problems despite lots of rubber and AWD.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I find similar in our 85bhp 1.3 litre Jimny.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

At what speed would the Bug get away from you?

TX.

Originally Posted by john banks
Presently my work is to allow people to have a pop at a Veyron for acceleration (not top speed) which will need about 850 to 900 BHP.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:10 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

He's got 2 Scoobs - Forester & an Impreza

TX.

Originally Posted by hughes741
Old 05 February 2010, 02:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Based on needing just over 500 BHP to do 200mph, the remaining 400 BHP is accelerating less GTR mass than the remaining 500 BHP is accelerating in the Bug, but not 20% less. I would think the main limit on the GTR is gearing. I think the Bug with similar power to weight ratio would start getting away from say 300km/h or 186mph in round figures. The Bug is cooled better for very high speed use though, a GTR weakness.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Getting fed up waiting for the order on the Porsche GT3 to come to a confirmed Build date (was meant to be March 2010 but Porsche customer service is close to contempt, if not outright deceipt) so I thought I'd look at the GTR 35

I had read a few reviews before hand on the hard ride - not sure where they are coming from - even in race mode it is softer than my STI Forrester! (I have one of these and a highly modded STI5).. very easy to live with. Tonnes of extra's

I would imagine that anyone over 6 ft tall with have some real issues. I came out of the car after the test drive with a neck hurting quite badly from almost crouching in the car

Maybe the rails can be worked on to get the car lower?.. or a different seat put in - I know I'm fairly tall but there are plenty of people taller than me - and not once have I seen this raised in any reviews

Anyone else noticed this??
Fang: New 911 turbo not appeal to you? (apparently it's stunning) Or is that too similar in character to your scooby?

PS. Lucky barsteward!
Old 05 February 2010, 02:33 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Tell me, where does one find a husband like this...?
Old 05 February 2010, 02:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Here usually:

Old 05 February 2010, 03:37 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Is Fangoria real?! All this talk of mega power STis, Porsches, etc.

I'm sure you are but it does seem unbelievable.

Back to my mead and gruel...
Steve is quite real and bloody nice bloke too.
Old 05 February 2010, 04:14 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

911 Turbo or no Porsche for me, you also have to be a certain person to pull one off without looking a right pretentious ********.
Old 05 February 2010, 05:30 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
911 Turbo or no Porsche for me, you also have to be a certain person to pull one off without looking a right pretentious ********.
A 911 turbo or Porsches in general?
Old 05 February 2010, 06:29 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

i'm 6ft3 and have no problems with my GTR, with a race helmet on i do need to recline the seat more and readjust the steering position but soon settle into the new positioning.

There have been people in the states that have swapped the seat rails out to create a bit more room, but i haven't found it to be an issue that requires me to address it in such an extent!

on a side note....i can see my office in that picture!!

Last edited by alloy; 05 February 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 06:30 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

The porsche one is difficult
I have an order down on the GT3 but I have never driven in the newer ones - just the older GT3's and they were good, but its too long ago to remember just how good they would be now

To be honest I ordered a GT3 because it was naturally aspirated, was therefore difficult to modify without destroying the retail value
I wanted the GT3 as I'd never owned a Porsche before and this is rated the best - I tried to get on the list for the GT3RS but was too late...

I test drove the last Porsche Turbo and was not impressed with the power delivery - this was on a manual - didnt feel like it had the power they quoted and to be honest at £105.5k without any options like Metallic Paint and other bits its way too expensive for what it is - it should be nearer to £80k I reckon

Matteeboy - we spoke previously when I was looking for a bike - yours is the Canondale Badboy 8 if I'm not mistaken?...

Einstein RA - thanks - I havent been to Well Lane or the Northern Meets for years though I come from Wakefield originally and am up quite often

John
Yes the speed is an illusion - I think because the GTR is so planted and is very heavy and the automatic upshifts help hugely
Maybe 0-100 it is faster but I dont want to destroy my mechanicals.. but from say 50-150 there is absolutely NO WAY this car is faster than my Subaru and the kick I get when the 321V comes in is great (I run 15% Methanol)

I probably wont get to test back to back as my car will be in for a 2.35 litre 'upgrade'

I am still amazed at how loaded the GTR in terms of features... for a sportscar its unheard of
Old 05 February 2010, 07:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one that gets stiff when John speaks just a remap to a GTR for 11-dead 1/4ers, 600bhp and traction issues?

I think I want a GTR!!!
Old 05 February 2010, 09:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think you'd be surprised Steve between 50 and 150 if you looked at figures rather than feel. Between 50 and 150 there are a number of delays in the Subaru that you don't really notice as you just remember the drama, but if you put it next to the GT3 or GTR or compare the figures become brutally obvious.

The Subaru feels very dramatic when spooling at 50mph, but it is actually wasting a huge amount of time, a 2.5 Subaru can pull out a car length or two even without boost braking against a 2.0 that is boost braking.

Three gear changes which if you are protecting the mechanicals and very competent will lose 0.5 seconds at least during which there is no acceleration, and another few seconds in total when the acceleration is sub-optimal as you wait for the turbos to re-spool.

In comparison, the GTR with 3.8 with short manifolds and VVT has spooled both turbos at 50mph virtually as quickly as you can bury the throttle pedal into the carpet. I suspect there are three car lengths there straight away. The torque is never removed from the driveline during gearchanges which keep full boost.

Overall I think you're losing out 4 seconds of effective acceleration in the Subaru along with aerodynamics that really slow it down at speed.

Since the 50-150 acceleration time on the stock GTR is 17 seconds, to save 4s makes up a lot of weight difference even though it doesn't feel so dramatic. That a Subaru with 500 BHP even with appropriate gearing will do nowhere near 193mph like the stock GTR tells you about the drag and losses of the Subaru.

I think the reality if you put them side by side will be that at low speed the Subaru is wasting time with lag and gear changes, and at high speed the aero (and stability) of the GTR becomes far more important than its weight.

Comparing power to weight or feel is very deceptive here.

At the last 30-130 event, only one Subaru except AndyF showed a quicker time than a stock GTR. There were a good few with claimed >500 BHP that were considerably slower.

Last edited by john banks; 05 February 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 10:25 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy

on a side note....i can see my office in that picture!!
Do you need a wife...?

Quick Reply: GTR 35 - no good if you are tall