Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What is an R-34 like on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 02:47 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Skyline good on the track - does it like to be 'thrown around' - how does it compare with other top track cars, like the Evo 7??

Spoke to a guy in Bolney and he said the R-34 would cane an Evo 7.
Old 20 March 2002, 03:55 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

A standard EVO 5/6/7 would cane a standard Skyline around a track no probs what so ever.. This guy probly has a massive BHP skyline and in which case the roles would be reversed.. Skyline are more straight line racers though, than a track car I would say..

A modded EVO 500bhp would cane any skyline around any twisties, so hes having a laff really.. Now on the strip/1/4mile a skyline would have massive advantages if it was modded..

Edited coz i cant spell, and still can't!

[Edited by DjacK - 3/20/2002 3:57:24 PM]
Old 20 March 2002, 04:15 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong (it's normally the case ), but isn't the skyline the fastest stock car you can buy around the nurburgring? (that includes ferraris, porsches, evos etc. etc.). I read this somewhere a while ago but can't remember where.
Old 20 March 2002, 04:26 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

That may be the case, but a stock skyline aint as fast as an EVO around twisty roads..

Standard Skyline - Twin-turbocharged 24-valve DOHC 6-in-line, 157 cu in (2568 cc) Power SAE net 276 bhp @ 6800 rpm. Torque SAE net 289 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm. 6-speed manual transmission

Chassis:

Independent front and rear suspension. Variable-power-assisted rack-andpinion steering. Vented front and rear disc brakes. Anti-lock system. 245/40R-18 93W Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires.

Measurements:

Wheelbase 104.9 in. Length X width X height 181.1 X 70.3 X 53.5 in. Curb weight 3674 lb.

Performance:

0-60 mph in 4.6 sec. Top speed (electronically limited) 155 mph

--------------------------

Standard EVO 6 GSR (note slowest model evo u can buy)

Facts about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI:

Powertrain: Turbocharged 16-valve DOHC 4-in-line, 122 cu in (1997 cc) Power SAE net 276 bhp @ 6500 rpm. Torque SAE net 275 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm.5 speed manual transmission.

Chassis: Independent front and rear suspension. Power-assisted rack-and pinion steering. Vented front and rear disc brakes.?225/45ZR-17 93W Bridgestone Expedia S-01 tires

Measurements: Wheelbase 98.8 in. Length x width x height 171.3 x 69.7 x 55.7 in.Curb weight 2822 lb.

Performance: 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec. 0-100 mph in 11.2 sec. Top speed 155 mph

Best features: ultra-sophisticated four-wheel-drive system and the best active yaw control (anti-skid) system. The Brembo setup, consisting of 12.5-inch front and 12.0-inch rear rotors, is capable of bringing the Evo Vi from 60mph to a standstill in a mere 2.5 seconds.

Now.. As those figures show they are manufactures numbers, and are not actually very easy to get in real life,, so it all depends on the driver dunnit..

I am just pointing out what that guy said about a skyline caning a evo 7 is total rubbish..

[Edited by DjacK - 3/20/2002 4:30:01 PM]
Old 20 March 2002, 04:38 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

I aint slating the Skyline at all, its a fantastic car.. Just not in my opinion a good trackday car.. Well, not the type of tracks you get here in the UK anyway.. I dont really see many Skylines on the track, more Evo's, scooby's Elises etc etc.. I have seen one or two though, and they where massive modded ones and very fast..
Old 20 March 2002, 04:46 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
I'd have thought that the Skyline was more suited to the track.
Old 20 March 2002, 04:55 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

My next car will be a skyline most probly.. But In my book a skyline to me is a streetfighter.. Suited to fast motorways and long wide straight roads rather than a trackday car..

The black skyline at Bolney is amazing.. My inital argument was that this chap said a skyline would cane a evo 7, and this isnot true, if we are talking about standard cars that is..
Old 20 March 2002, 05:11 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Angry

Djack.

Have you ever driven either an Evo 7 or a Skyline on the track? I bet you my bottom dollar you haven't.

As someone who has experience of both the cars you know so much about, I am curious to know of your sources and I hope it's not confined to the realms of a certain Sony entertainment unit.

And to then say:
Just not in my opinion a good trackday car
is just plain stupid. You then mention that you accept the fact, but a Skyline still isn't as good around the twisties. Seems to me like youre clutching at straws.

Face it, what Shin told you is true.

Why do people continously aim to belittle cars by finding ****** in their armour? It's pointless and does nothing but annoy the owners of said cars.

Cem
Old 20 March 2002, 05:18 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

The guy I spoke to on Saturday had a blue R34 and I think he told me it was pumping out around 420bhp or something. He said he'd hardly touched the engine. And the I asked him what its like on the track and he said that it would show an Evo 7 up. Obviously we didn't get into the fine details.

And anyone thinking I was taking a dig at skylines in my original post or this post is plain stupid. I love the cars so much that I would die (even kill!) for one and that's why I spoke to the owner.
Old 20 March 2002, 05:25 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

Blow dog.. I own a 320 bhp EVO 6... My brother owns a Scooby, my Uncle owns a R33 Skyliner, my dad owns a porch turbo, infact the family are into cars.... So, i dno wot the ferk u are on about, I love the cars, and in MY opinion they are not as good as a standard EVO 7/6 wotever around a track.. U need at least 400bhp outa a skyliner to make it feel like my EVO 6...

So, there u have it.. What I said is in my opinion , if u dont like it, stick it..
Old 20 March 2002, 05:31 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

And I was not trying to PUT down ANY car.. I will in the near future own a skyliner, I love em..

Old 20 March 2002, 05:32 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

I just wouldnt have one AS a track day car...

Anyway, cu around maybe..
Old 20 March 2002, 08:01 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

2 of my mates have skylines
one 580 bhp R34
one 400 bhp R33

in a straight line they are a devastating tool
On tight twisties they are hard to control with all that weight and all that power.

They even admit it!!They say on very twisty roads my Standard Evo IV can leave them,But when a straight comes,i may aswell pull over

Trust me ive tried it

i personally think that they are not point to point cars,i dont think they are suited to tight tracks.Show them a nice ,wide track and they can let all that power hang out.

still love em though

Old 20 March 2002, 10:34 PM
T9KYO
Scooby Newbie

Gotta put a bit of a perspective here.

EVERYONE mentions around the twisties a Skyline ain't all that. Well come on guys its down to the driver/s and how much time they have had with a particular car and how twisty/bumpy the twisty bits are. Lets face it on certain roads a Peugeot 206 GTI would cream us all.

500bhp (you wish) EVO.

Their is no level playing field.

Their ain't no such thing as a standard Skyline. What you mean is a restricted Skyline.

Isn't it funny though how other Jap Car owners are always comparing their metal to a Skyline. Does say something doesn't it.

See Ya.

glen
Old 21 March 2002, 12:52 AM
Nissan Mad
Scooby Newbie

It is all down to the driver. The SKYLINE will always win provided that driver THROWS it into the corners. If I remember correctly you need to pull 1G in a corner that get the SKYLINE to do its stuff, it will have the EVO.
The drivers courage/skill is the key element in the corners and the gearing/power/torque are the key elements in the straights.

The SUBARU, EVO and SKYLINE are all products of those genuises in Japan. They are all great cars in their own right. They are all ****ing great on the track!

[Edited by Nissan Mad - 3/21/2002 12:54:39 AM]
Old 21 March 2002, 08:18 AM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

Question

Question - Has Djack not got a valid point because I'm a little confused

Hypothetically, if you took a standard (stock, restricted however you want to term it) Evo 7 and R34 and placed them both on a UK style track, with drivers of equal ability behind the wheels - would the Evo 7 not be lapping quicker than the R34?

NB - This is a genuine question, based on the figures quoted above and what I have heard about both cars and is not taking the tuning potential of either car in to consideration.

Rikki
Old 21 March 2002, 10:09 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Rikki,

No. The BestMotoring video put all high performance cars on a track in completely standard form. NSX, RX7, STi7, Evo7. The R34 was a clear winner.

Cem
Old 21 March 2002, 10:20 AM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

Yer like every motoring video I see I think wow.. Its gotta be true.. That car rocks..

Well u see my point dont u.. Take for example Driven, Jerremy clarkson etc etc.. ALL a bunch of cack..
Old 21 March 2002, 10:29 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

hilareous - i love these threads

I'll just point out that at angelesy my 1.6 litre, 115 bhp, roadsaloons 205 gti was quickier than an r34

And at bruntingthorpe I was getting stuck behind a my00 scooby

So, obviously 15 year old 205's are better. No ?

Which track ? Which driver ? Which mods ?

It's not hard to imagine a volvo v70 lapping far quicker round Brands Indy than any of the skyline, evo brigade - if its rickard rydell in his btcc super-tourer

Hey ho

Old 21 March 2002, 10:32 AM
T9KYO
Scooby Newbie

Talking

One more then.

Everyone wants to beat a Skyline. Croydon and Blowdog will back me up here. It seems like we have a 'target' on our boot lids. Really upsets people when you don't bite. Wicked, but fun, and thats what its all about I suppose. Fun that is.

glen
Old 21 March 2002, 11:12 AM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

T9KO I love the cars.. And I am NOT trying to compare my EVO 6 to Any skyline.. Like I say we have lots off diffrent Jap and other cars in the family/freinds circle..

Just pointing that fact out to u as u seem to think I might be having a dig at the car..

But one thing though, Skyline owners seem to think they own the greatest car on the planet!! lol.. Dig at owners not car.. !!

[Edited by DjacK - 3/21/2002 11:14:10 AM]
Old 21 March 2002, 11:19 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I was going to post a reply, but now I can't be bothered.
Old 21 March 2002, 11:40 AM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

No offence intended Blowdog.. I follow your site quite closely and have mucho respect for your opinions..

Old 21 March 2002, 12:38 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

Skyline owners seem to think they own the greatest car on the planet!! lol.. Dig at owners not car.. !!
There are quite a few Impreza owners that think that too and no doubt Evo and RS owners etc, etc. That is a little harsh on Skyline owners IMHO.

I know two Skyline owners:-

- One has an R33 and would be quite willing to admit it isn't the best car on the planet (especially if you saw what else he owns)

- One has an R34, is a thoroughly nice bloke and who's opinion I hold with much respect - be it on cars or any other matter.

Rikki

PS For what it is worth, I think the R34 is one of the nicest cars on the planet and would be near the top of my car shopping list
Old 21 March 2002, 01:46 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with u.. Text doesnt come over in the right way sometimes.. My Uncle owns a r33 and he is a very nice bloke. I was never ment to insult skyliner owners, I am very mutual whan it comes to cars, i love me all.. I just don't like tha fact some people don't accept other people opinions on cars.. It's diffrent for every one..
Old 21 March 2002, 02:05 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Djack,

I thoroughly respect your opinion, and based on our experiences, that is sometimes the best we can offer (myself included). It just appeared at first that facts were being laid down and being an owner of one of these cars, I felt compelled to defend myself.

Live and let live.

Cem
Old 21 March 2002, 02:11 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

And don't believe a work Rikki says, he has a warped sense of reality.
Old 21 March 2002, 04:09 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Well, from what started of as a humble question, I think the best answer will lie on the track. How about this:

1. Get two 'no limits' cars: Evo and skyline on the track and see who's boss

2. Get two 'standard' cars: Evo and skyline on the track and see who's boss

Now, who'd be kind (read man) enough to turn up to the next track day?

****, I'm gonna get flamed about driver ability now!

May the best car (man) win! To add spark (no pun intended), perhaps we could get a magazine to cover the race?

Thanks for your sensible input guys
Old 21 March 2002, 05:04 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Question

If I remember correctly what you are suggesting will get you chucked off the track!

A track day bans racing and prohibits the use of timing equipment, also driver ability/track traffic will play a major part in the result!

In fact the thread has gone completely off the rails and should really end here.

My two pence worth..I owned an STI 5 and loved it, I now own a GT-R 33 (500 BHP when she's back from the doctor) and I love that to.

What ever you got enjoy it bye!

...Ian Sutton
Old 21 March 2002, 05:07 PM
T9KYO
Scooby Newbie

Hi Djack.

Dig away. I'm thick skinned anyway.

I was making observations and balancing things up really. None of my observations are based on what is better than what.

I have seen a standard (you know what I mean) 34GTR get beat by a standard new Scooby over 1/4 mile by a couple of hundreths of a second. My thoughts on this are, I don't care and so what as I don't think their is a standard 34 or Scooby on the roads so this example isn't relevant really. None of 'em are because never is their a level playing field. At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice.

Their was a guy on another post who couldn't make his mind up between a Skyline and Supra. You could tell his heart was with a Supra based on looks so I told him, get a Supra. Its all about passion and at the end of the day thats it.

Their is ALWAYS someone/something quicker and I believe the arguements people put up, based on who's is better than who's, is really all down to unhappiness/insecurity with their own car. Bit psychological their but probably true.

Owning a Skyline means you have one of the best 'all round cars' in the world. Not specific to anything but able to be developed into any specific. Or if you wish developed into an even better 'all rounder'. Not many cars can boast that many variations I'm sure.

The last one about everyone wants to beat a Skyline is true unfortunately. Bit like everyone wants to see Manchester United get beat ( I hate footie by the way.)

I don't normally rise to this but the most ignorant bunch of Jap drivers I have met on the roads are Scooby owners. I don't bother waving or smiling anymore (OK sometimes I do) as half of 'em see me, then look away and about 45% see me, look at me and then ignore me while looking through me, and the other 5%, which are probably all on here, give the old thumbs, nod, wave etc., BUT I put this down to their being more Scooby owners than anything else so the percentages are higher.

See I'm not judging just making an observation.

See ya.

glen

[Edited by T9KYO - 3/21/2002 5:09:50 PM]

Quick Reply: What is an R-34 like on the track?