Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2009, 11:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R35 GTR. ****.

Little bump. BIG bill.

Drive carefully Mr Banks!

Accident: Don't do what I did.... - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum
Old 15 November 2009, 12:05 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

OMG!!!!!
Old 15 November 2009, 12:11 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

just been reading that lol
Old 15 November 2009, 12:16 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

If you are going to buy a r35 then you would expect stupid repair costs.

If you can afford one then you can't be to hard up.

It's the same as if i cashed my car and had to pay £1100 i'd be sick but i'd have to find the money.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:18 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Apparently all these reports of high costs are just lies, according to some owners
Old 15 November 2009, 12:24 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D4VEW557

If you can afford one then you can't be to hard up.
No stereotyping there, then.

I just love your sort of people. *shakes head*

Read it again.
It's not particularly the fact it cost £11k to fix but the fact it was only a slow speed bump resulting in (on the face of it) a cracked bumper.

Insurance would cover it but these cars will become almost uninsurable with repair costs such as this.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:29 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by zip106
Insurance would cover it but these cars will become almost uninsurable with repair costs such as this.
Starting to happen already
Old 15 November 2009, 12:33 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

shake your head all you like fella, fact is you buy a very expensive car its going to very expensive to run, maintian and get repaired after an accident.

Slow speed it may have been but with all the safety systems that are fitted then thats just the way it is.

I do agree that the system should be able to be reset rather than have to be replaced, although i do understand why it is designed not to.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:33 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Starting to happen already
Really?
Already? Bloody Hell, they've only been out 5 minutes.

( IIRC, aren't you an insurance type chappy?)
Old 15 November 2009, 12:36 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

shake your head all you like fella, fact is you buy a very expensive car its going to very expensive to run, maintian and get repaired after an accident.

Slow speed it may have been but with all the safety systems that are fitted then thats just the way it is.

I do agree that the system should be able to be reset rather than have to be replaced, although i do understand why it is designed not to.
Wrong.
Not all very expensive cars are very expensive to maintain, repair etc.

Anyway, whatever the reasons, £11k is just taking the pi$$.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:37 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

NOT UNDER WARRANTY !!!!!!!!! - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum - LOL, £130 for a wiper blade, two weeks old and Nissan didn't cover it.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:41 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i've seen some fairly minor accidents run into some silly repair costs. Never quite eleven grand but then i dont generally work on cars that cost best part of a £100000 second hand
Old 15 November 2009, 12:42 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by zip106
Really?
Already? Bloody Hell, they've only been out 5 minutes.

( IIRC, aren't you an insurance type chappy?)
Yep, thats me

We only have 1 insurer who'll look at doing GTR's for a reasonable price, and even then you have to be an ultra-good risk.

Most GTR owners seem to use Admiral, but apparently they have been hit hard already, and people are starting to see prices increase by 50-60%.

(There was 1 other company that had a computer glitch for a month, and were insuring them for £130, i think they might get hit pretty hard!!!)
Old 15 November 2009, 12:43 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having a repair bill of around 20% of the car's cost new after a slight bump is shocking, whatever way you want to dress it up.

Just imagine this scenario with the likes of a Lambo Gallardo. You buy one that's a few years old for £60-70k, dent the front bumper slightly and have to pay 20% of the list price new... or around £25k, which is now about 40% of the car's value to you.

Madness.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 15 November 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:44 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

£55K new for a GT-R.

So that little bump cost 1/5th of the new price.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:47 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Yep, thats me

We only have 1 insurer who'll look at doing GTR's for a reasonable price, and even then you have to be an ultra-good risk.

Most GTR owners seem to use Admiral, but apparently they have been hit hard already, and people are starting to see prices increase by 50-60%.

(There was 1 other company that had a computer glitch for a month, and were insuring them for £130, i think they might get hit pretty hard!!!)
So in a few years time these cars are going to be an absolute bargain.

That is, if you don't mind taking the risk of driving with no insurance.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:50 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Could always leave it un-insured and just use it on a track. Careful with the engine and gearbox though
Old 15 November 2009, 08:08 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Shocking prices, BUT I can see why it would cost a lot. Granted £11K is a tad on the excessive side

My wife works at a private hospital (she's a nurse ) - one of the consultants has a Lamborghini Gallardo SuperLeggerra (sp?)

We live in the countryside, so the risks for ANYTHING apart from turnip scrumping are lower than other areas.

He parked the car on the road outside of his house......

And somebody took the wing mirror off!!

The price for a replacement was just under £1600.

Ouch.

Expensive mistake again. But relative to the car price. The Nissan isn't (imho) - don't care how good it is.

Dan
Old 15 November 2009, 11:27 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

£11k is a joke.

I was at a test drive yesterday of the 370Z (Great car, probably getting one now) and they had 2 GT-R's in the show room. One Black, one Grey, and one under a cover outside. Speaking to the salesman, I asked how the GT-R sales where going . That one dealer has placed 84 orders. Sales going pretty well he said. Getting back from the hour test drive, the cover was off the GT-R outside, and the new owner and his missus were being shown around it.

As for the "If you can afford to buy one" Bollox. It's just that, Bollox. Think most people on a decent wage could "Afford" to buy one. Whether through finance/cash, or both. But getting hit with a repair bill of £11k !!!

The salesman admited the warranty on the GT-R is tighter than a duck @rse.
Old 15 November 2009, 11:51 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The costs are rather silly, but I expect in time that competition for parts supply will reduce them. If I got burnt by too much expense I would probably get a Mondeo or something and finally grow up.
Old 15 November 2009, 11:58 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

ok they aren't quite as expensive as i orginally thought, but i couldn't afford one and i have never been out of work for a day in my life.

I don't begrudge anyone who can afford it, and while i except 11K is a lot i still stand by the fact if you are going to buy something like that dont expect it to be cheap to fix. AS i have already stated i have seen car that have been in minor accidents encurr repair bills of a few thousand pounds because of all the systems that have to be replace after an accident.

Would be intersting to see the bill though to see exactly where the 11k went
Old 15 November 2009, 12:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've not read much about the GTR or specifically 'researched' it as such. Everything I know about them is from 'in the passing' on forums such as this and through having a general interest in cars.

I think it's a lovely car and I suspect I'd love to drive one and find it highly enjoyable and rewarding. However, it strikes me that the GTR is the biggest customer relations disaster of modern times. I probably don't even know the half of it but.....

* Fitting a launch control system and then invalidating your entire warranty if you ever activate it is beyond silly
* Deliberately trying to design the ECU to prevent aftermarket modifications is just lame (I gather this is no longer a problem)
* Making a complicated gearbox that's £12k to repair (1/5th car value) and then making it soft as **** and finally not upholding a warranty claim unless the owner can prove it let go on the way to the shops and has never seen a track is just disgraceful.
* Now we have £130 for a wiper blade
* and £11k for the smallest of accidents.

Great car but Nissan have ideas way above their station IMHO. I have limitations over what I'm prepared to tollerate and I simply wouldn't put up with that. I believe when you buy a new car that you should, within reason, have piece of mind that you can use and enjoy that car and know it is covered if it goes wrong. That surely is the point of taking the depreciation on? It seems however that the warranty and support of their product is disgraceful even if you bought brand new from a Nissan dealer and treat it with kid gloves.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:13 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I read that thread yesterday and could physically feel my enthusiasm for what I had hoped would be a realistic prospect for future ownership diminish.

Probably as JB says parts competition will drive prices down. I think the renewal quotes for this first batch will make eye watering reading though. Those affected have my sympathy!
Old 15 November 2009, 12:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no panacea for a properly quick car that is civilised, reliable and has reasonable running costs.

Some of the worries do melt away when you live with one, as long as the costs don't happen to you, because the car is so amazing.

They defended the "launch control" stating that is was never designed as such, but was a means to allow wheel spin to get you out of mud. The UK car has never had the original "LC1" but can still get a 1.7s 60' by just flooring it on a decent surface. There are good aftermarket parts for the gearbox now. This accident repair cost may have been price gouged, more info awaited. The wiper blade inserts are £10. Full set of tyres is £1100, about half what dealers would charge, but who would buy tyres from a main dealer?

I'm not defending it, but there is nothing like it for anything like the money.
Old 15 November 2009, 01:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

^^^^ at least solutions to these problems are emerging. That's encouraging.
Old 15 November 2009, 06:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw one in cambridge this evening

in a sort of matt blue looked very nice though - clever colour

Apparently if the paint on the GT-R wears out due to excess staring by passers by – it is not covered by warranty
Old 15 November 2009, 07:05 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the idea of these bonnet rams for pedestrians. See how far u can fling em . Atleast they wont go under the wheels if u launch them 20ft into the air with the rams. That must be how they increase safety...
Old 15 November 2009, 07:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I saw one in cambridge this evening

in a sort of matt blue looked very nice though - clever colour

Apparently if the paint on the GT-R wears out due to excess staring by passers by – it is not covered by warranty
lol

Bit of wind yesday Hodgy - did you make it off the beach ?
Old 15 November 2009, 08:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
lol

Bit of wind yesday Hodgy - did you make it off the beach ?
haha -- yes but it was Hunstanton and low tide so manageable on a 4.7

only a quick splash and dash as I did the St Neots 1/2 marathon today

but I think the south coast would have been off its t1ts (used to sail at Hayling for 15years)

you?

anyway don't want to thread hijack this one as by the looks of the thread on the GT-R forum - which will be "self aware" in about 6 hours, this thread could go the same way
Old 15 November 2009, 11:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

50mph past my window (seaford) , bottled out

Quick Reply: R35 GTR. Feck.