Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

335i touring or 535d touring..

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2009, 10:42 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i touring or 535d touring..

I appreciate these are fairly different beasts- the similarity being their ability to carry kids / dogs etc, and both being pretty rapid.

I've already found a 335i touring with a nice spec, a little more than I wanted to spend, but I know the owner and the mileage is low.

The 535d would be slightly higher mileage, but also a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts?
Old 10 November 2009, 10:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

335i every time
Old 10 November 2009, 10:50 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere that there is only 100KG difference between the 3 and the 5, but the 5 offers more room. So performance wise, they should be pretty similar.

SBK
Old 10 November 2009, 10:54 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The 335i is just SO exclusive - the ultimate Q Car and the 3 handles better. Of course I like the 335d a bit more (!) but they are hard to find.
Old 10 November 2009, 10:56 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Biggest issue for me is that the 335i is about £6k more. Whilst I can (probably) afford it, can I justify it
Old 10 November 2009, 11:10 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

And higher fuel costs. And more tax! And more insurance!

Depends on your priorities. I did look at the 335i and they are super rare - the manuals are even rarer! It's a lovely engine though and sounds amazing.

I just see a lot of 535ds around and they don't quite have the same clout (and pre 2008 models have less power than the 335d for some reason).

My inlaws had a 535d and while it was a great car, the i-drive was horrendous and it just felt a bit heavy to drive - not much weight difference but the feel was not the same. A 335d/i just seems so much smaller and more nimble than it actually is.

I honestly think if you drive both, the 335i will steal your heart. The 535d will impress but not to the same level.

What's the spec of both?
Old 10 November 2009, 11:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmmm ...
More space , more torque , more mpg , more money in the bank , otherwise same

1.5 seconds slower

- itll depend on your maturity then
Old 10 November 2009, 11:25 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The 335i has sport auto, AP's and the proper LSD fitted by Birds, as well as a load of other nice bits.

I've not found a 535d touring yet- they don't seem to hang round long, so I'm not going to look until the Impreza's gone as I'd get major grief from the enemy if I build the collection up again. In reality, if I don't sell the Impreza first, I'll end up burying it in the garage again...
Old 10 November 2009, 11:35 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

You say you know the owner of the 335i? Otherwise the mods might worry me although they are very good ones. That LSD is excellent apparently.

Can you get a drive of it? I reckon you'll love it. Not far off an RS4 for performance (real world) yet nice and stealthy. Easily chippable too.

The 535d is very good - drive one too - I just think the 335i is more fun. And that engine is lovely - and that's from the owner of a 335d!
Old 10 November 2009, 11:40 AM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
The 335i is just SO exclusive - the ultimate Q Car and the 3 handles better. Of course I like the 335d a bit more (!) but they are hard to find.
Are they really that hard to find ?
Old 10 November 2009, 11:41 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm comfortable with the mods tbh- the owner has the money to do it right, and from previous experience I know it will be immaculate. I've not driven it- haven't even seen it for a couple of years- but know it will be A1.

There's a (very expensive) 535d touring at my local AD, but its buried in the back of the showroom. I'm not the type of chap to ask the dealer to dig it out for a drive when I have no intention of buying from him.
Old 10 November 2009, 11:42 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
There don't seem to be many around with nice spec.

Was that you holding me up on the M62 last week- think it was Thursday - in the GTR?
Old 10 November 2009, 11:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Try finding a Touring 335i or 335d on Autotrader. Plenty of coupes and saloons, not many Tourings.
Old 10 November 2009, 11:48 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...t-touring.html
Old 10 November 2009, 11:54 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

That'll be the one
Old 10 November 2009, 12:03 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by RRH
There don't seem to be many around with nice spec.

Was that you holding me up on the M62 last week- think it was Thursday - in the GTR?
What were you in, the space shuttle ?
Old 10 November 2009, 12:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

CGT
Old 10 November 2009, 12:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CGT, Capri GT ?

Ok, Carrera GT ?

Get the 335i, remap it, spare set of tyres in the boot and proceed to Anglessey circuit, and I will offer my services as ballast again
Old 10 November 2009, 12:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

535d Touring without question - one of the finest all around cars in the planet!!
Old 10 November 2009, 12:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
CGT, Capri GT ?

Ok, Carrera GT ?
Continental GT
Old 10 November 2009, 12:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd take the 335i since you can vouch for it's owner and it's had two important mods done already (addition of LSD and brakes). Once you get used to it/bored of it, remap it to 370bhp and it'll make mincemeat of e46 M3's and probably run the V8 M3 pretty close as well.
Old 10 November 2009, 12:52 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure I get the point of a 3 series estate. Most estate drivers need space and lots of it, the 3 series does not have that, especially for rear passengers.

So if you are a family man and want them to be comfortable buy a 5 series, if you are some single gay surfey dude who just needs to transport yourself and some colourful boards around consider the 3 series
Old 10 November 2009, 12:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Conti GT a lot less quick than a GT-R...

Even a standard 335d is an E46 M3 eater. A Santa Pod obsessed mate has battered several in his standard one. Even beat a CSL. He's now had it remapped and chases more serious kit.

YouTube - BMW 335d vs BMW E46 M3 drag race at Santa Pod Quartermile.

Not my scene but it shows they are quick.

Ding - thanks for your "crrazzzy" controversial post (guess who wants to be JC?) but there's plenty of space in an E91 3 series touring. Space for a dog, a baby, all the related clobber and two surfboards INSIDE the car. Sorry you can't surf - maybe that makes you the gay one? Can you even swim?

Last edited by Matteeboy; 10 November 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10 November 2009, 02:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I went looking recently and there did seem to be a lot more room in the 5 touring than the 3 touring, especially for rear passengers.

Our Civic has loads of space inside, and after looking at the 3 series I get the impression we won't be getting too much extra room even though it's an estate if we go for the 3, although my Mrs isn't convinced with the size of the 5 series and it will be her car.

Matt, how do you get on with tall rear seat passengers as pretty much all my family are around 6 foot or over and even our spacious Civic can be a squeeze when we use it as a family with child seat etc.
Old 10 November 2009, 02:43 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Dingdongler said it all.
The 3 series is nice but as a family carrier it is as useless as the saloon - a small and awkwardly shaped boot and ****-all rear leg room. If you do serious mileage with the car fully loaded, there is no choice to make.
Old 10 November 2009, 02:52 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dream - I would say it's not for very tall rear passengers - while there is plenty of legroom for most, our 6ft female friend with the World's longest legs was a bit cramped in the back. Front room is fine - there's loads of it. Tallest person that's driven ours is 6'3" with no problems.

I'd sit in it and see what you think - the 5 has more boot length but pretty much no extra rear legroom (from what I remember).

This is a MASSIVE rear facing car seat (we will all have these soon - imported from Sweden and very very safe for kids over one) in ours - they only fit in relatively big cars but admittedly the front seat is halfway forwards - not useful for tall front passengers:

Simon - so how do we fit all our clobber in ours then? It's smaller than the Astra Estate we had before in the back but only slightly so. And proper suspension needs room to fit. Flat bootspace = cr4p suspension.

It's certainly no V70 but it's plenty big enough for all but the most kit heavy family. Lots of handy little storage bits too including a "wet space" under the boot floor for wet shoes and stuff.

Be warned though - non 335i and ds have a slightly bigger (deeper) boot. I think it's because of the exhaust system. Don't try a 320d or similar and expect the same boot in a 335d or i.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 10 November 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10 November 2009, 03:40 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

You've changed your tune a bit. Before you went on hiatus 535d touring was where it was at...

However, trying them out is the best advice going. People here might give you an idea on known faults etc but when it comes to practicality and how it feels to drive then it will be your call. Give both a go and see what happens. Do like the idea of buying a car you know the history of but if it is a mate make sure you remember that if something goes wrong! You don't want to fall out due to a case of bad luck.

5t.
Old 10 November 2009, 04:26 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Conti GT a lot less quick than a GT-R...

Even a standard 335d is an E46 M3 eater. A Santa Pod obsessed mate has battered several in his standard one. Even beat a CSL. He's now had it remapped and chases more serious kit.

YouTube - BMW 335d vs BMW E46 M3 drag race at Santa Pod Quartermile.

Not my scene but it shows they are quick.

Ding - thanks for your "crrazzzy" controversial post (guess who wants to be JC?) but there's plenty of space in an E91 3 series touring. Space for a dog, a baby, all the related clobber and two surfboards INSIDE the car. Sorry you can't surf - maybe that makes you the gay one? Can you even swim?
Take it easy matey, no need to be homophobic bros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tblVdRRIML0

The 3 series is NOT a big car, it's not what I would call a full sized family saloon. If you have two 6 foot people at the front, rear leg room is restricted. If it wasn't then nobody would make a car bigger than a 3 series would they? Why make a 5 series, or even a 7 if the 3 is SO spacious.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 10 November 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10 November 2009, 04:31 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Dream - I would say it's not for very tall rear passengers - while there is plenty of legroom for most, our 6ft female friend with the World's longest legs was a bit cramped in the back. Front room is fine - there's loads of it. Tallest person that's driven ours is 6'3" with no problems.

I'd sit in it and see what you think - the 5 has more boot length but pretty much no extra rear legroom (from what I remember).

This is a MASSIVE rear facing car seat (we will all have these soon - imported from Sweden and very very safe for kids over one) in ours - they only fit in relatively big cars but admittedly the front seat is halfway forwards - not useful for tall front passengers:

Simon - so how do we fit all our clobber in ours then? It's smaller than the Astra Estate we had before in the back but only slightly so. And proper suspension needs room to fit. Flat bootspace = cr4p suspension.

It's certainly no V70 but it's plenty big enough for all but the most kit heavy family. Lots of handy little storage bits too including a "wet space" under the boot floor for wet shoes and stuff.

Be warned though - non 335i and ds have a slightly bigger (deeper) boot. I think it's because of the exhaust system. Don't try a 320d or similar and expect the same boot in a 335d or i.
Doesn't that prove the point? To fit the baby seat you have had to put the front seat half forward. That would make the front seat very uncomfortable for anybody over about 5ft5", so impossible for your 'lady friend with the longest legs in the world'
Old 10 November 2009, 04:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I was referring to your pointless "gay surfer" comment. I tell you what, you come down to Cornwall and try paddling out when it's double overhead (like last week) and barrelling. Then see how "gay" you think it is.

Yes the 3 series Touring isn't massive - but it's a lot bigger than a hatchback and plenty big enough for most. Yes four six footers will be low on legroom - that's why they make huge cars like the 7 series/S Class/MPVs. It's not an issue for us and for the benefits (fast, great handling, etc) we get, it's just not important. I have driven a 535d Touring many miles - I don't rate them as much as drivers cars and they are slower too. I also don't like the look of them - the saloon looks much better.

It's all about priorities - and in this case, being 5'8" and having a 5'6" wife is very useful. As it also is for surfing well.

Your comment was confrontational and pointless. And judging by 99% of your posts, that's hardly surprising.

Quick Reply: 335i touring or 535d touring..