Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Always controversial - the "tell us about the fun you have in your car" thread

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2009, 10:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always controversial - the "tell us about the fun you have in your car" thread

No wingeing, no moaning, no "mines faster than yours" no bleating, no sniping other cars, just the pure enjoyment you get from your car(s) whatever it is. And no "my car beat an ICBM across Europe" BS either.

Just drives that have turned out to be classics, drives for the sake of it, trips where you got the very best from your car. Journeys when you'd not want to be in anything else (within sensible limits)...

This might work, it might go wrong...
Old 27 October 2009, 11:05 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

106GTI.

Coming home from a night out, I decided to take a very windy back road. As there was no cars about (1am) I was on maximum attack mode.

I can honestly say, I've never driven as committed as I did that night. Got every braking point spot on. A split second later, I'd have missed the corner. Most tight corners ended in the car being sideways, and most fast corners ended in 4 wheel drifting.

Lasted about 15 minutes, and I was physically shaking with Adrenalin afterwards.

Another good drive, was in the Impreza. Chasing a bunch of bikers across the Pennines. Middleton-in-Teesdale to Alston. Great road.

All speed were well within the national speed limit, obviously
Old 27 October 2009, 11:07 AM
yoza
BANNED

This wont work, you will always get the trolls biting at your ankles, you know the ones.

Old posters with new names, carless van drivers having a pop, same old, same old.

You yourself would mention a gearbox if I was to post as you requested, I know it.

But lets see how it goes shall we.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:44 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Volvo 360 GLT -- not the most exiting car

but with a 19yr old Swedish au pair in the passenger seat -- mmm fond memories (or should that be fondling mammaries)

can't comment on driving fast really coz I am a bit of a woos (after totalling my Mini Cooper on Xmas eve just outside St Austell in 1986) I take it pretty easy
Old 27 October 2009, 11:49 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stilover - I once had a 106GTI behind me when I was in the R32 Golf. The guy was fairly "mature" and was a bloody brilliant driver - I really really struggled to gain any distance despite having twice the power. Impressive stuff - I always enjoy watching very good drivers.

Had a great one in the mk3 GTi 16v - me and a 306 GTi-6 giving it the full works on a decent A road in Cornwall for about five miles. Really enjoyed it and exchanged friendly waves at the end (I had to turn off).

Plenty in the BMW - keep going to the Roseland for drives - lovely clear A road down to St Mawes and perfect for it.

Also did a bike chase (not sure what models they were but they were fat tyred beasties) two weeks ago - started up a very long hill with an overtaking lane. While they clearly accelerate a lot quicker, they couldn't take bends as fast or put the power on as early. I was very surprised to keep up - the speeds did get a bit silly. I think they were a bit shocked!

Countless other drives too that made me smile, some of them is pretty modest motors.

Hodgy - similar on Polzeath beach in my 1973 beige Marina...!!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 27 October 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:19 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Hodgy - similar on Polzeath beach in my 1973 beige Marina...!!
you must have to work some - to pull in a beige Marina
Old 27 October 2009, 02:04 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I have to admit I do like my current Volvo S40 2ltr diesel. it has leather interior and all the mod cons.

i've been doing quite a few essex to dorset runs and after 160 miles, I get out of the car feeling pretty chipper - no back ache, sore shoulders, feeling drained, etc.

Bit dull, but I really appreciate being in one piece after a long journey.
Old 27 October 2009, 02:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

A couple of fun things when I was in my Toyota Corolla Gti-16:

Raced some civic thing down a dual carriageway. It managed to get along side me but couldn't overtake. When we got to the end I backed off, flashed my lights as I was about to turn left at the roundabout. For some reason though he decided to outbrake me into the roundabout. He locked up and went straight into it!
His skidmarks and tracks on the roundabout were there for ages! When I told my mates about it they had already seen them!

Another time I went down the same dual carriageway with a Renault 5 GT Turbo which did manage to get past but then it went pop and the whole road was covered in thick white smoke! He pulled over pretty sharpish! Sometimes being reliable is much better than being faster!
Old 27 October 2009, 02:37 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think my Fiesta si was the most fun I've had! I had that for 7 years so I have a lot of fond memories of it, and not all from the driver's seat!

As great as (I think) my Focus ST is, I just can't enjoy it...legally, or safely for that matter. It's just too quick and it's not even a quick car really, how people can enjoy the likes of Ferraris is beyond me. I can be speeding by the top end of third on any road you care to mention so I'm constantly reigning myself in, my entire life (what little there is! ) revolves around me being to drive for work so I just can't afford to get caught out.

I'm seriously considering going back to a Fiesta, maybe a new Zetec S or an older ST with some M-Sport trick bits on. I'd rather go for driving pleasure rather than outright speed.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:03 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just this weekend gone actually.

New STI with PPP collected on the Saturday, so was out showing some of the lads on the Sunday. One of them has invested in an 05 plate Proscehe Carrera which is a beautiful car. Lets just say he doesn't like me much anymore when I demonstarted that the Porsche was no quicker in a straight line than a 14 grand Subaru can't say I would have been able to get past him, but I was just pleased to keep pace with him.

All on a private road of course
Old 27 October 2009, 03:06 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Where do you get a new Sti with PPP for 14 grand
Old 27 October 2009, 03:10 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Where do you get a new Sti with PPP for 14 grand
OK - sorry let me rephrase. New to me. It's an 06 STI with PPP

Old 27 October 2009, 03:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
you must have to work some - to pull in a beige Marina
Nope - just be a surfer, speak poshly to the public school girls and chef at the Oystercatcher. I think even an FSO Polonez would have been okay.

Had even more luck when I upgraded to a mk2 GTi though

Sti - nice!
Old 27 October 2009, 04:00 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

So much fun it's hard to remember / recount it all, anyway this happens pretty much every weekend when I head up to the local ******* site in my motor. Spit roasts are my favourite
Old 27 October 2009, 04:40 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I always enjoyed driving hard down empty country lanes in the middle of the night after passing my test to hone my lack of driving skills.
The car was an old vauxhall viva, no power no grip but RWD and could be ragged like anything.
I pushed it just a little too far on a sharp left hander and had an almighty tank slapper fishtailing down the road for what must have been seconds but felt like a very long time.
No idea how I didn't at least end up in the ditch but somehow I didn't.
Just shows you don't need much power to have fun driving.
Old 27 October 2009, 04:44 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Nice looking STI
Old 28 October 2009, 04:46 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Most recently? 3 days in a puny 3 cylinder 1.2 lite Polo hire car in the Cairngorms . It sang like a bird and I overtook everything in sight on those magnificent roads. I ragged it to within an inch of its life.

In the past? Has to be our Honeymoon in 2003. SE France, Corsica, Sardinia, NW Italy and back. 3 weeks. Some stupendous (and very scary) roads particularly in Corsica. The car ran like a dream throughout.

Old 28 October 2009, 05:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you turn the traction off in that ole barge of yours Mattee ?
Old 28 October 2009, 08:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

dpb - yes you can. It's a bit scary. And it's not even three years old yer cheeky git.

Almost forgot - driving around New Zealand (both Islands) in a Honda Accord (pop up lights version) 2.0 which was actually pretty decent. Would love to drive something special over there. The Beemer would do ;-)

Turbo - that's looks like a lot of (slightly terrifying) fun!!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 28 October 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 08:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The first time I got the 205 sideways was quite a fun moment. I'm a very placid driver after killing my first Scoob avoiding something on the road 3 1/2 years ago, so got a real adrenaline rush from this.

Approached a roundabout in 4th deliberately too fast. Turned in, lifted right off and when the back end came out I dropped it into 2nd and planted my foot down. Certainly not the cleanest sideways moment, but I was shaking like a leaf afterwards and really enjoyed it. 7am and no traffic thank god

Another one was showing up some rep **** in his Leon Cupra deisel in my nimble 205 GTi Tootling along and both go over a roundabout which dips down then hits a steep hill. Mr rep is well under the speed limit and I go to overtake politely. Mr rep doesn't like this and boots it. Has me on the dip and hill straight due to deisel powa so I follow in (fun) persuit. At the top of the hill theres a sweeping left hooker which hits another roundabout. Both take the sweeping left, but Mr rep lifts off a bit and brakes twitching his back end. I power through knowing lifting off isn't an option for a light Pug. "Thats his warning" I think to myself. So Mr rep takes a right on the roundabout, still going too fast. Me still in (neat) persuit proceeds to watch as he totally lifts off and ends up sideways then facing the other way. I proceed to beep my horn, wave and chuckle while passing him on the outside and taking said right exit.

Old 28 October 2009, 09:23 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

best fun ever was wasting a chav in a golf gti . was only doing 50 uphill when he pulled along side and both him and passenger stared . my son sat in the back shouts out go on dad waste him so i dropped into 3rd and allowed him to edge ahead then planted it and left him for dead in the outside lane . laughed my **** off as my son waved goodbye out the back window . the look on his face was priceless and he franticly changed down and booted it to no avail
never saw him again for the rest of our journey
Old 28 October 2009, 09:28 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Best drive for me was me in my Classic and mate in his Evo coming back on the A428 from Northampton to Rugby at around 3am, not sure on exact time it took, but it was silly quick, because I know the road so well I was infront he was behind and on my **** matching my speed where he could, the adrenaline rush was amazing, makes me realise why I love Classic Impreza's so much!

I love driving with mates though, 3 or 4 drives that really stick in my head, so much fun when your mate is in a similar powered car!

Dont drive like that on any other road really but the A428 late at night, due to it being empty and we all know it like the back of our hand.

Last edited by will_wrx; 28 October 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 09:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A run up to Keilder from Leeds, straight up the Pennines, started as a leisurely drive, then around Barnard Castle the roads were quiet, so " full attack" mode right up into the forest.

Fabulous roads, when empty...

dunx

P.S. Leeds, Skipton, Hawes, Tan Hill pub (lunch), Bowes, Stanhope, Hexham, Bellingham, Keilder village. Then home for tea !
Old 28 October 2009, 09:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Have to say, while it's briefly quite satisfying burning off some oik, I gain much more enjoyment from driving for the sake of driving - if there is any "race" element, it needs to be friendly and with a fairly evenly matched driver/car. Anyone can floor it and leave a slower car behind and those situations often turn nasty.

A fun drive either on your own or with equal respect (if ahem "racing") is far more fun (to me).

Driving is fun. There's no need for aggressiveness or **** waving. Well not often anyway...
Old 28 October 2009, 09:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Used to enjoy "towing" my mate in his Chav turbo when I had my classic, he knew I wouldn't pull any stupid overtakes, so he sat one car length off my back bumper.... usually heading up into Dalby forest for the rallying.

Ace, until we both found the same bump on a back road near Driffield, and nearly ended up in a double hedge bashing incident....

dunx
Old 28 October 2009, 10:14 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

The whole time I owned my old 3-door Sierra Cosworth was probably the maddest 2.5 years of my life. Everywhere was flat out, sideways, dead stick. I bought petrol for that car faster than the north sea rigs could produce it
astraboy.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:24 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every day in various cars from the age of 17 after passing my test, till I was about 20 I used to drive flat out everywhere. Used to use the local b roads like a track, on the absolute limit of grip and left foot breaking.

Even last year in the Subaru there were a good few times where I was on the limit, driving the car as quickly as I could push it. Have got more sensible as the years go on, probably down to the mileage I've racked up! There are far too many things to worry about on the road now to be able to drive properly fast on them safely. You'd never drive a car as quick as you could without knowing you could handle it, but it's not yourself you have to worry about...it's other people doing the unexpected.

Still have a blast in the Focus, but just a bit of fun, not like a rally stage!