Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ford focus st

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2009, 08:28 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford focus st

hi all, im lookin at buyin a 05 or newer focus st. any1 had 1 or driven 1? wot r they like? wot sort of mpg do they get? r they an expensive car to run?
Old 09 October 2009, 08:30 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

why buy a ST when there is the RS out ?????
Old 09 October 2009, 10:43 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

i like the look of the st ova the rs, well apart from the new rs's. but their a bit out of my price range.
Old 09 October 2009, 10:52 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Because an 05 st will cost around 10k and an Rs wont

As for the ST, decent car overall with crap mpg therefore running costs high due to frequent visits to the pumps

Originally Posted by bighead
Old 10 October 2009, 12:38 AM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

get a leon cupra or gti ed30 instead. They remap to over 300hp straight off and dont drink like the ST unless you hammer it.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:53 AM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

not really a big fan of the leon. i didnt think the st's wud be that bad on petrol unless u floor them, im not really lookin for massive performance, somethin i can hammer wen i want but also a family car.
Old 10 October 2009, 12:41 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxhewitson
not really a big fan of the leon. i didnt think the st's wud be that bad on petrol unless u floor them, im not really lookin for massive performance, somethin i can hammer wen i want but also a family car.
Well over on the leon forums we have a couple ex focus ST owners and they all mention how much more the ST drinks than the cupra!
Old 10 October 2009, 02:05 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

accordin to the autotrader (which isnt much to go on) on average the cupra is only 4mpg better than the st
Old 10 October 2009, 02:44 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

accordin to the autotrader (which isnt much to go on) on average the cupra is only 4mpg better than the st
True but you know what official figures are like. Do a search on the ST on these forums and you will see quite a few ex owners saying they have a drink problem!
Old 10 October 2009, 06:46 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

yes but the Rs will hold its value ,when the ST goes down to a few thousand
and if you want mpg , buy a diesel !!, perfomance are all about get up and go , not mpg
My E60 M5 do 11.6 mpg around town
my P1 (2.5 conversion) do 18-19 mpg !!

just drive its and enjoy while you can ................
Old 10 October 2009, 07:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The STs do look good and make a nice noise. They handle quite well by all accounts and are now pretty cheap.

The Cupra, on the other hand, and in my opinion, looks a bit of a mess and the interior is even worse than mine!

Have you looked at the R26? The better car - when the dealers aren't making your life hell.

Steve
Old 10 October 2009, 07:14 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

I had an 06 ST,they are nice cars but they do drink the juice.I wouldn't personally touch a leon,i think they look horrible,imo of course.But the scooby i have now is 100% better and more fun than the ST
Old 10 October 2009, 08:39 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

every 1 is sayin they drink the juice, but wot r we talkin about?? 20mpg 15? wots a rough average? the st's surely have great handelin with them been a mid sized car? ive been lookin at a few cupra's on autotrader and they look ok outside but i think inside they r horrible.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:34 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

how about the astra vxr??? love the look of them.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:46 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Its not like the focus interior is anything special

Anyway Leon interiors can be nice. But end of the day, a focus drinks more than a cupra, is more common than a cupra, less reliable than a cupra, doesnt stop like a cupra, and a remapped ST wont get anywhere near a mapped cupra.

But then I am biased, so all imo.

Last edited by PovK1; 10 October 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:53 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

them pics rn't fair, thats the fr, how much r they????? loads. lookin more at the vrx than the st's now. i just cant make up my mind. i'll prob change again 2morro. i was nearly goin to get a mondeo st, then just decided i dont like how they look. think im just goin to have to go test drive some cars.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:58 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

them pics rn't fair, thats the fr, how much r they????? loads. lookin more at the vrx than the st's now. i just cant make up my mind. i'll prob change again 2morro. i was nearly goin to get a mondeo st, then just decided i dont like how they look. think im just goin to have to go test drive some cars.

Cupra's are above the FR in the leon lineup

Its just got some interior pack fitted. Quite a few guys have done it on scn, very cheap mod bar the sat nav unit.

Test drive all 3 of them, and see which one you prefer.
Old 10 October 2009, 10:00 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Come again?
Old 10 October 2009, 10:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

yes but the Rs will hold its value ,when the ST goes down to a few thousand
and if you want mpg , buy a diesel !!, perfomance are all about get up and go , not mpg
My E60 M5 do 11.6 mpg around town
my P1 (2.5 conversion) do 18-19 mpg !!

just drive its and enjoy while you can ................
What planet are you on? he's looking at an 05 plate ST, so quite clearly he cant afford a new RS. The fact that it will hold its value better makes no difference if you cant buy it in the first place

What have the M5 or P1 got to do with anything?
Old 10 October 2009, 10:59 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
What planet are you on? he's looking at an 05 plate ST, so quite clearly he cant afford a new RS. The fact that it will hold its value better makes no difference if you cant buy it in the first place

clearly not on yr planet :wink:
Old 11 October 2009, 10:02 AM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy

thanks for that 1 mate. and wot the m5 and p1 have got to do with it i dont know cos the st will have much better mpg than them anyway. i have looked at the older rs's but hate the inside of them and think the st looks better outside aswell. surely the st cant do much worse average mpg than 30. anyway, i think now im stuck between the st and the astra vxr. both roughly the same price and performance. will just have to c which drives better.
Old 11 October 2009, 11:48 AM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

not got one personally,but my best bud has,drives nice,goes well only problem he's had is alternator failure common problem apparantly(was rather costly) lot of car for the money as the 2nd hand price is very good imo,good luck
Old 11 October 2009, 01:12 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 06 ST with the Dreamscience remap, K+N element, ecu spacer and the figures are supposed to be around 270+bhp and 310+ lb/ft

I'm doing 6-7 miles commute to work on A + b roads (so no long runs when warm) and average 26mpg although when i picked the car up (standard) doing 70+ mph i was seeing 46mpg

The ST is understeted unlike the VXR (unless you get electric orange) and is as easy to drive slow in traffic as it is to drive enthusiastic - a remap makes a hell of a difference for less than £300

reliability? - well around 3 years old the alternators seem to pack up (£250 fitted at Wolf in Stockport), oil filter diaphragms split (around £175 for full new housing), a few people have had driveshafts go but apart from these they're pretty reliable, just make sure you get a decent warranty
Old 11 October 2009, 02:09 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

I had one for 3 years and only suffered one problem with the power steering hose coming off (5 min job)

They do drink fuel when pressing on but have a midrange that pisses on a lot of its competitors, so well worth it. They also sound infinitely better than any VAG or Vauxhall product.
Old 11 October 2009, 04:18 PM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

23-25mpg out of the ST, much nicer car to be in and drive than the cupra (interior is horrible on the cupra as you can see from above pics, no offence to owner of car).
have a look at a VXR or a mazda 3 MPS (MPS treats every corners like its you last but its mega cheap and very well specd).
If focus was just 4 or 5 mpg better it would win by miles, as it is its a tough call.
Old 11 October 2009, 04:21 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos
I had one for 3 years and only suffered one problem with the power steering hose coming off (5 min job)

They do drink fuel when pressing on but have a midrange that pisses on a lot of its competitors, so well worth it. They also sound infinitely better than any VAG or Vauxhall product.

Better than the 4.2 V8, 3.2 VR6, 2.5, 5 Cylinder turbo, 5.2 v10?

No it sounds nice, but to say better than VAG product is pure stupidity
Old 11 October 2009, 04:22 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markymark34
23-25mpg out of the ST, much nicer car to be in and drive than the cupra (interior is horrible on the cupra as you can see from above pics, no offence to owner of car).
have a look at a VXR or a mazda 3 MPS (MPS treats every corners like its you last but its mega cheap and very well specd).
If focus was just 4 or 5 mpg better it would win by miles, as it is its a tough call.
Its ok, its not like I sleep in my car, I drive it, and a mapped cupra goes past mapped st's and standard RS's like their going backwards, I can take comfort in that lol
Old 11 October 2009, 05:57 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

think im leanin more towards the astra vxr now. im goin to have a drive in both of them and just c which 1 i prefer
Old 11 October 2009, 05:59 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

think im leanin more towards the astra vxr now. im goin to have a drive in both of them and just c which 1 i prefer
Drive all 3
Old 11 October 2009, 07:45 PM
wrxhewitson
Scooby Regular

another car has came to mind now. wot about the older version of the civic type r??? pretty much same performance, like the look of them, but ive heard they rn't the best quality, my brother drove 1, but he was compairin it to a bmw and he said the difference was like night and day. the type r's can be bought for cheaper money tho.

Quick Reply: ford focus st