Volvo V70 R

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2009, 10:26 PM
garryrb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo V70 R

Volvo V70 R
Anyone got any experiance of these looking for somthing fast but discreet that suits the whole family inc 2 dogs
Old 08 October 2009, 10:14 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Awesome straight line cars with a massive load capacity. Excellent brakes. Rather numb steering but it handles ok.
Heavy on fuel and I mean 20mpg average, so worse than a lot of scoobs.
Also Volvo parts are quite expensive but if you can afford the running costs, I don't think you will be dissappointed.

Have you considered a big engine bmw 3/5 series touring?
Old 08 October 2009, 10:23 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Best mate bought one of these brand new a couple of years back. It's an astonishing car for its size. Handles incredibly well for a big estate car and is nice and comfy. Various suspension modes at the touch of a button.

Can't really fault them apart from ceasing rear brakes if you leave it stood for any period of time. Mate is a sat diver so he is away for roughly 6-8 weeks at a time and repeatedly has to uncease them. Other than that and heafty fuel consumption they are fantastic cars.
Old 08 October 2009, 07:43 PM
garryrb5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help and yeah might look at the bmws but bang for buck the volvo seems better with a better specification
Old 08 October 2009, 08:11 PM
tandino
Scooby Regular

Which shape are you looking at? Phase 1 like the 850 or the phase 2 with the "hips"?
Old 08 October 2009, 08:59 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Had a V70 R AWD classic shape 99 couple of years ago, it was the auto version fully loaded and was very comfy for a family cruiser however thats all it was, with 240hp youd expect it to move quickly but i can honestly say unless the thing was rolling it was like watching a steam train pull out the station!
and christ was it unreliable!!! it ate coilpacks for breakfast the dash lights up like a xmas tree and then your wallet takes a lesson in skinny dippin!! mine had FULL VSH too and reasonable miles.
If you get one make sure its a manual!!

Last edited by pandyman; 08 October 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:03 PM
tandino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Had a V70 R AWD classic shape 99 couple of years ago, it was the auto version fully loaded and was very comfy for a family cruiser however thats all it was, with 240hp youd expect it to move quickly but i can honestly say unless the thing was rolling it was like watching a steam train pull out the station!
and christ was it unreliable!!! it ate coilpacks for breakfast the dash lights up like a xmas tree and then your wallet takes a lesson in skinny dippin!! mine had FULL VSH too and reasonable miles.
If you get one make sure its a manual!!

There was definately something wrong if it didnt pull hard,
I owned an 850R manual which by all accounts is the same bar a facelift, i also drive and regularly work on an 850R Auto and if anything it pulls harder at low revs than my manual did.
Most have some faults at the age they are at now, boost control solenoids are typical failure points which obviously give lower boost than stock.
Remaps are cheap and give good gains prividing the cars are in good health.
Stage 0 tune is a good start to make sure everything is A1 especially the crankcase breather system.
Oh and classic V70R's never had coilpacks so i guess someone is pulling your leg if they told you they were replacing them!!

Last edited by tandino; 08 October 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:12 PM
garryrb5
Scooby Regular

looking at the 2004 onwards models really
Old 08 October 2009, 10:13 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The T5 based cars are genuinely quick cars, particularly once moving. The later (03 onwards) V70 handle respectably, provided you appreciate they are a heavy family car. As my username suggests, I was a fan of the earlier saloon! I never had any issues with reliability, parts can be bought cheaply from such places as German and Swedish and Euro car parts
Old 09 October 2009, 10:51 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tandino
I owned an 850R manual which by all accounts is the same bar a facelift, i also drive and regularly work on an 850R Auto and if anything it pulls harder at low revs than my manual did.
Most have some faults at the age they are at now, boost control solenoids are typical failure points which obviously give lower boost than stock.
Stage 0 tune is a good start to make sure everything is A1 especially the crankcase breather system.
Oh and classic V70R's never had coilpacks so i guess someone is pulling your leg if they told you they were replacing them!!
Probably not TBH, I have owned a few different 850's and latterly a P1 V70R 2WD. My 1995 854 T5 with RICA304 was very aggressive, superb midrange and instant throttle response. Then I got a V70R RICA310. It was very laggy and with the extra weight over the 850 it wan't a usable power band like the 850. With the addition of AWD, auto and a standard I can't imagine it was laugh out loud quick.

As for MPG 27/28 is easily achievable around the Yorkshire/Derbyshire hills, 20mpg is continuous battering

Having said that, none of it is relevant to the post 2004 model

Last edited by Andy M3; 09 October 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09 October 2009, 01:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

RICA'd XC70 D5 (200 bhp & 320ft/lb) - certainly not that quick in a straight line from the start but awesome grunt out of corners and a highly capable overtaking machine.

Surprises quite a few people

Oh & 45-50 mpg depending how heavy a foot...
Old 09 October 2009, 02:56 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm not sure what car your on about coz V70 definately have coil packs dude, seperate ones on top of each plug! at least they do on the ME7 engine anyway

And i said unless it was rolling!, cant say 0-60 in 7+ seconds exactly inspiring! had good torque on the move though 50-70 quicker than a porsche (allegedly)
Old 09 October 2009, 05:31 PM
tandino
Scooby Regular

YEah your right, the early phase 1 cars have conventional dissy with the last of the phase 1 being coil packs.
You must have been unlucky because ive never heard of the coil packs being a problem.

Also your never going to get a big barge like that moving quickly from a standstill but i always found them pretty good once moving, more so when MTE software was in play
Old 10 October 2009, 05:05 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a V70 classic, but the next model down the 2.5t, still with 193 bhp, less turbo lag, better on insurance and does well over 30 mpg.