Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

V8 RS4 Vs SL55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 01:00 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V8 RS4 Vs SL55 AMG

Might be a bit of a pipe dream but I've found myself looking at these two as a replacement for a daily driver, mainly the Audi though. Has anyone owned or driven both? How do they compare performance and running costs wise or are they poles apart? Oh, and could anyone actually sit in the back of the benz?
Old 10 September 2009, 08:27 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:-) Before creating life and having a son, I looked at these two cars. I love the SL55 and was going to buy a black one. However, the reliablity of these cars are iffy, go investigate the supercharger belt issue. Also, if your comparing price, then your probably looking at a 52 plate SL55 ??

If so the earlier ones had leaks in the roof, rust and electric issues. MPG is awful and servicing is dear, but who cares as it goes well and is a joy to drive. I found it easy to drive and so powerful.

Compare that to an RS4, then the RS4 will hold its value better, more practical, but doesnt sound as good or has the same pwerful feeling but is far more sure footed. Better build quality in the Audi. Also, if you parked a SL55 outside, people would key it, etc etc etc, but loads of RS4's get nicked.

Audi RS4 for me, the AVANT model, but I still love the SL55. If you owned each one, then you would probably have the SL for a year before selling it. Where the Audi you would keep for a good few years. The SL is an itch, an itch that needs scratching, but once you have, you then sell on.

Its like Jodie Marsh, I would love to scratch her itch, but wouldnt want to own it. :-)

However, I soon made my lady pregnant and had a son. On the day I said hello to him, I waved good bye to my dream of SL. :-) ITs all 4x4's and people carriers now for me !

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 10 September 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10 September 2009, 10:57 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

A local lad I know had an SL55 AMG..........for about a year, as above, before he went back to BMW "M" series.

Reliability issues were apparently the problem;(
Old 10 September 2009, 12:42 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Very different choice there mate.

I've owned my B7 RS4 saloon for 6 weeks now and loving it. Not sure where Simon is coming from regarding SL sounding better. They're both V8s - hit the sport button in the RS and the exhaust valves open to give great noise!

I'm pleased with mine
Old 10 September 2009, 12:55 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with Simon the SL sounds more like a spitfire where as the RS4 is more muted v8 rumble, playsatan check out my gallery got some pics in there. They look great with the lowering module, it would be impossible for someone to sit in the back but it would be funny watching them try.

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 10 September 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10 September 2009, 01:53 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Very different choice there mate.

I've owned my B7 RS4 saloon for 6 weeks now and loving it. Not sure where Simon is coming from regarding SL sounding better. They're both V8s - hit the sport button in the RS and the exhaust valves open to give great noise!

I'm pleased with mine
you should disconnect and seal the actuator pipes on the exhausts. You'll get a deeper, nicer rumble all the time
Old 10 September 2009, 02:05 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

What a good description comparing the sound of a SL55 to a spit fire. It certainly is. I couldnt stop slowly down, then accelerating ! The noise was addictive, as was hearing the supercharger. The SL55 is not just a v8, but a v8 with a mighty supercharger and a different set of exhausts.

They are two different cars, inregards to focus. But, the RS4 is a car with many hats. The SL55 is just an out and out ball tickling evil monster :-)

Go test one !

SBK
Old 10 September 2009, 04:17 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

Just toying with the idea just now. Really like the RS4 and TBH it would fit the bill much better as I can get the whole family in there as it's a saloon. Thats the drawback too though as the SL looks so much more and the engine is a peach.

A bit more to think about. I guess.
Old 10 September 2009, 08:21 PM
A.D.Edmundson
Scooby Regular

I own a BRABUS E55k AMG and its truly amazing and is a far better car than the RS4. I had a customer with a RS4 and it was bad on fuel, oil, tyres and brakes.

Suppose i am slighlty biast, but hey everyone has there own opinion

Ant