New LR Disco and RR

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2009, 11:26 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR Disco and RR

Anyone seen these yet?

The Disco now has the Jag twin turbo diesel engine which is superb - 240ish bhp and 440 lbs/ft - plenty.

And the new supercharged RR has 510bhp (!!!!) and gets to 60 in 5.9 seconds - yikes!!

New Disco could be a contender for a few years time - really like it. Even though it weighs a pretty insane 2.7 tonnes
Old 10 August 2009, 11:57 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Lol! Still £400 tax bracket....not a huge step forward is it?

LR are lagging imo and if they don't bring something out with much better mpg and lower co2, they'll be losing a good few customers. I know father's jumped ship and i'm sure a good number of others have too.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

And they STILL have reliability issues but I do like the look of them and their ability off road. Not many combine such ability with luxurious comfort. The Landcruiser gets close but it's road handling is pretty poor.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Indeed they do.

Air suspension was loked at twice and EGR valve was replaced too. Few squeaks and rattles as well. I liked the RRS, but couldn't pay the money if i had it.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:09 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Lol! Still £400 tax bracket....not a huge step forward is it?

LR are lagging imo and if they don't bring something out with much better mpg and lower co2, they'll be losing a good few customers. I know father's jumped ship and i'm sure a good number of others have too.
I think they will be higher than that for next year, but is it really an issue?

Changes to Vehicle Tax from April 2010 : Directgov - Motoring

Each respective model hemorrhages money giving losses of 50-70% in the first 3 years, another £400-£1000 a year isn't a biggy.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Andy - just had a small panic then. The Beemer is just over 200g/km and thought it meant £550 a year tax!! It's actually £245 - phew!

All LRs are a money pit. But a nice looking and capable money pit at least.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:19 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

BMW's and Audi's half the cost, taking into account the mpg advantages and the depreciation....why would you rather have a LR?

Basic RRS SE is now up to 44k....father got an S with plenty of standard kit for 38k 2 years ago...got back 25k selling privatly and done very well at that. Dealer was offering 22k max pxing it and what would they flog it for? 29k roughly?

He's went to BMW for an X5 35D M-Sport and got a mahoosive discount for buying brand new from a dealer...LR discount? Max 2k.

It's all relative.
Old 10 August 2009, 12:20 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Quote of the week for me.

Old 10 August 2009, 12:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The X5 is cack off road though (for the few that go off road) and I prefer the look of all RRs. The outlaws have a 3.0D Sport (old shape late 2006) with all the bells and whistles - pokey, very comfy and looks okay but doesn't do off roading at all.

Like the 35D one (new shape) though - looks better and I know from our Beemer what that motor is like - fun!
Old 10 August 2009, 12:27 PM
yoza
BANNED

This looks good in the flesh, I really hope its a big seller.

YouTube - Land Rover LRX Concept
Old 10 August 2009, 12:59 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The X5 is cack off road though (for the few that go off road) and I prefer the look of all RRs. The outlaws have a 3.0D Sport (old shape late 2006) with all the bells and whistles - pokey, very comfy and looks okay but doesn't do off roading at all.

Like the 35D one (new shape) though - looks better and I know from our Beemer what that motor is like - fun!
isn't it 90% the fact that all the X5's I see have racing slicks that would not look out of place on a supercar
Old 10 August 2009, 01:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hodgy - sadly yes. But down in these 'ere parts, four wheel drives actually need to be able to go off road every now and again!

The inlaws X5 has 19s and I think they are something like 265 wide!! Seen plenty with 22s though. Hmmm - handy for off roading...
Old 10 August 2009, 03:44 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
This looks good in the flesh, I really hope its a big seller.

YouTube - Land Rover LRX Concept
Won't be out till 2011 and then all the other manufacturers will be getting better figures than now. Probably be silly money too.

I know what you mean about the older model X5's. I'd still have one, but would need to keep it looking sensible. Like all these cars, it's mainly a look-at-me statement.

I'd swop a 4x4 for a big saloon or estate any day.
Old 10 August 2009, 04:35 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Well my Disco has gone UP in value by 3k since I bought it in January.
Old 10 August 2009, 04:45 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Until you actually sell it, I'd be very wary of book prices...
Old 10 August 2009, 05:28 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My wife's renault grand scenic has gone up in value by 30% since January too! We did get a cracking deal from a desperate dealer though
Old 10 August 2009, 06:03 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Well my Disco has gone UP in value by 3k since I bought it in January.
It's true - I was tracking ACTUAL 3 year old Discovery HSE sale prices on the British Car Auction website - last November they were £15k, now they're nearly £20k. It seems that many secondhand cars have 'gone up' since Jan, but only halfway back to the level they were 18 months ago for a similar aged car.

Also, with the recent lack of new car registrations, there will be a relative shortage of 2 year old cars in 18 months' time (and so on), causing prices of sought-after models to stay firm.
Old 10 August 2009, 06:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I was watching 335d Touring prices 6 months ago - they dropped a lot. But the timing wasn't right - then they shot right up again. Yet I got a fully approved one from a decent dealer (Sytner) for an absolute bargain with super low mileage and fully prepared/supagarded, etc - the previous owner must have got sod all for it. And yes it all checks out fine...
Old 10 August 2009, 07:20 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I'm liking the new Disco a lot, very tempting.
Old 10 August 2009, 09:34 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I'll sell it when the extended LR warranty runs out and not lose a penny!
Old 10 August 2009, 09:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mamoon - tell use when it's actually sold. Until then I remain very sceptical. I got my Beemer for an astonishingly good price but I'm under no illusion that it'll be worth much when I sell it.
Old 10 August 2009, 10:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was watching 335d Touring prices 6 months ago - they dropped a lot. But the timing wasn't right - then they shot right up again. Yet I got a fully approved one from a decent dealer (Sytner) for an absolute bargain with super low mileage and fully prepared/supagarded, etc - the previous owner must have got sod all for it. And yes it all checks out fine...
what did you pay mattee -- above or below 20k

just interested -- don't answer if you dont want too

looks fantastic btw (not AWD though)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 August 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11 August 2009, 08:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hodgy!

PM'd!
Old 11 August 2009, 08:49 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I've got a TDV6 D3 as well as the STI and I love it

(It just needs a remap..190bhp pushes it along quite well, but everyone says 240's much more like the TDV8) and at £295+VAT from JE it will not be long before I take a trip to Coventry..

Ditto on the D3 prices going up in the last 4 months, the stealers cannot get enough of them, but when the D4 is released I think D3 prices will drop again as they'll have loads!

Last edited by scooby L; 11 August 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11 August 2009, 11:27 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
I've got a TDV6 D3 as well as the STI and I love it

(It just needs a remap..190bhp pushes it along quite well, but everyone says 240's much more like the TDV8) and at £295+VAT from JE it will not be long before I take a trip to Coventry..

Ditto on the D3 prices going up in the last 4 months, the stealers cannot get enough of them, but when the D4 is released I think D3 prices will drop again as they'll have loads!
Tell me more about this re-map
Old 11 August 2009, 12:19 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

JE engineering have been mapping Land Rovers for years and years, they have dropped their mapping fee to £297+VAT (from £500) to encourage business.

"Stage1 A remapped chip gives a performance upgrade to 235bhp and torque to 575Nm. 20% more power and 31% more torque."

Diesel Engines | Discovery 3

Last edited by scooby L; 11 August 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11 August 2009, 12:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do like the Discovery and the proper RR but round our way every WAG type seems to have the Sport, in Black, with blacked out windows.

I think they are all nice but I cant really see the appeal as a driving proposition, the high driving position seems to suit ladies but I cant get with the ponderous handling, ok they are a lot better than they used to be but you still get the feeling you are sat in a first floor room piloting it with boxing gloves on, they do wafting quite well, are well equipped and look smart but I need someone to explain why they would choose one over an estate car if you dont actually use it off road.

We had an ML320 for a bit which was crap, the old Discovery I drove was comical in every way but the new one was nice and is a lot better, but still is slower, thirstier and poorer handling than the Ford Galaxy we bought instead, could have got anything new or nearly new up to about 30 grand but it was the only one that suited us and we arent bothered about the brand or image and the kids destroy it anyway.
Old 11 August 2009, 01:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same dilemma, Volvo 850 so went for a Sharan which served its purpose and then the new Galaxy which I have to say has impressed me, I can see whyc someone wouldnt want to drive a people carrier, neither do I but whilst the kids are at home and travelling with us it makes sense but to be honest I dont really see the off roaders as a much more desirable alternative, they float my boat about the same amount as the Galaxy, ok they have more "image" but I dont want an Image, everyone round here has one, I dont think cool when I see one as I rarely notice, I think "cool " when I see an Elise, Lambo, nice Classic car, Hot Rod etc etc. Not trying to justify our purchse as I realise its not everyones cup of tea, in fact my sister in law wouldnt be seen dead in the Galaxy, but went and bought a Sharan so she could have the exact same car with a VW badge !!!!

Also, not many have seven seats, or at least seven proper seats, even the Volvo we looked at didnt have as much room as the Galaxy in the third row.

I am not anti four by four, in fact i love them as the eco brigade focus on them and leave other, probably more less green like M5's and RS6's alone for the time being.

Are they fairly immune from depreciation if you buy the right spec diesel ?