Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Long shot for any 205 knowledgeable heads??

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2009, 08:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long shot for any 205 knowledgeable heads??

I've cut 'n' pasted this from the 205 forum thread I started, so apologies if it seems 3rd personesque...

"Hi guys, I'll try explain this as best I can.

Was driving home just now and there was a slight misfire around 1500rpm in second gear mainly. Little jerky but didn't think anything of it. It's been doing this for about 2-3 weeks maybe but nothing serious.

Anywho, went round a min roundabout and the car misfired badly, coughed and spluttered and then cut out. No violent jerks forward like I had with my knackered ign. amp a few months ago and no weird rev counter either. Just spluttered and cut out. I tried starting it and it cranked into life, turned over for about 3 seconds, started coughing and spluttering and cut out - again.

I checked the wires on top of the coil to see if anything was touching that shouldn't (bear in mind I'm not good with car electrics). Popped off the coil lead at the top and replaced it making sure it was tight as before. The car sparked back into life and got me to the top of my street before doing the same thing again. Was sat idleing, went to set off, it spluttered misfired badly and cut out. All other electrics were fine, so I put the hazards on and pushed it down my street to my house.

My neighbour saw the cufuffle and came out to see what was going on. I had the bonnet up at this time and tried starting it again. It sparked into life first time and idled ok. So I took a peep under the bonnet and saw sparks coming from where the red arrow is on the bolw pic!!!

Little tiny yellow sparks sort of inbetween the rubber cover and where the rubber wire goes in. So I turned the ignition off, took the cap off the coil again. Replaced it again making sure it was still tight and tried started her up again. Started first time and was sat idling a little high but consistant.

Now the HT leads (all 4 and the coil lead) are near enough brand new, not proper high end ones, but not cheap nasty ones either.

Does anyone have any idea about the misfire and cutting out, or the sparks, as I haven't the ££ to have it sent to a garage to be fixed. And I daren't drive it anywhere either. As above, I hate car electrics, so apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge. I hope it's a simple issue, but any advice appreciated.

Ta

Andy"

As above, any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, but I'm no bloody good with electrics
Old 21 July 2009, 08:45 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the HT lead from the coil to the dizzy, if you can see sparks then the lead is definetley breaking down. The damp weather will only highlight the problem due to damp around the area. COB, make sure that those ropey looking blue connectors have a good connection to the wires that are going into them. Once the HT lead is warm, it will start to break down and this i would say is your problem.
1. Change the HT lead
2. Re-make those ropey BLUE crimp connectors
3. Make sure where the HT lead goes into the coil, is DRY
4. Whip off your dizzy cap and make sure theres no damp in it, if there is, it could be cracked or the seal is shot.
5. Give the rotor arm (brass parts) a clean with some rough paper (sand or wet and dry)
6. Fingers crossed and good luck
Old 21 July 2009, 08:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Thats the HT lead from the coil to the dizzy, if you can see sparks then the lead is definetley breaking down. The damp weather will only highlight the problem due to damp around the area. COB, make sure that those ropey looking blue connectors have a good connection to the wires that are going into them. Once the HT lead is warm, it will start to break down and this i would say is your problem.
1. Change the HT lead Can do that
2. Re-make those ropey BLUE crimp connectors Erm... not tried to do that before
3. Make sure where the HT lead goes into the coil, is DRY Can do that
4. Whip off your dizzy cap and make sure theres no damp in it, if there is, it could be cracked or the seal is shot. Dizzy cap is orange bit? If yes, can do that
5. Give the rotor arm (brass parts) a clean with some rough paper (sand or wet and dry) Is the rotor arm inside the dizzy cap. Bit that spins around with the 4 sparks?
6. Fingers crossed and good luck Ta
See what I can do tomorrow as I'm not that confident but need to learn aI guess.
Old 21 July 2009, 08:58 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

The dizzy cap is the orange bit, lol. Just unplug the HT lead from it, BUT NOT THE SPARK PLUG LEADS. It may be a bit fiddley, but please dont remove the plug leads from the dizzy cap, or you'll never remember the order they go in, and dont remove them from off the spark plugs either. You should be able to un-clip/screw the dizzy cap and have a look inside, WITHOUT REMOVING ANY LEADS. You'll be ok, just dont rush
Old 21 July 2009, 09:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The dizzy cap is the orange bit, lol. Just unplug the HT lead from it, BUT NOT THE SPARK PLUG LEADS. It may be a bit fiddley, but please dont remove the plug leads from the dizzy cap, or you'll never remember the order they go in, and dont remove them from off the spark plugs either. You should be able to un-clip/screw the dizzy cap and have a look inside, WITHOUT REMOVING ANY LEADS. You'll be ok, just dont rush
I'll have a faff in the morning. Wondering whether to get ripped off at Halfords for some Bosch HT leads, as I doubt you can get them singles.
Old 21 July 2009, 09:28 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

You can by a single HT lead for the coil to distributor, a motor factors will do one as well as halfords. To be honest There more expensive but usually good quality leads at halfrauds.
Old 21 July 2009, 09:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You can by a single HT lead for the coil to distributor, a motor factors will do one as well as halfords. To be honest There more expensive but usually good quality leads at halfrauds.
I tried to get a single one from my local Motor Factors (Unipart in Scunny), and they only sold them in sets of 5 (4 spark leads and one coil lead).

I'm more concerned about the problem being more underlying and deep within the electrics. If I had loadsamoneh I'd think nothing of replacing all these new parts in a trial/error manner, but I don't so wanna try find the source of the problem and fix the bugger
Old 21 July 2009, 10:15 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Pukka bosch leads are about 15 - 20 a set btw
Old 21 July 2009, 10:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
Pukka bosch leads are about 15 - 20 a set btw
Really, thats it? I thought they were more on Ebay etc

I just hope Halfords may have a set for my specific car, as leads seem the first thing to change.
Old 21 July 2009, 10:44 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's French, it's over ten years old...

And you want electricity !

Utter madness !

Get the thing dry and blast it with your lasses hairspray.....

LOL

dunx
Old 21 July 2009, 10:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
It's French, it's over ten years old...

And you want electricity !

Utter madness !

Get the thing dry and blast it with your lasses hairspray.....

LOL

dunx
Whats that? You wanna pop round mine tomorrow and fix it
Old 22 July 2009, 12:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just posted this on the 205 forum thread I started...

"Well todays findings have proved inconclusive.

A mate popped round and we did the following...
  1. Cleaned out the dizzy cap as it had a little oil in it.
  2. Cleaned the brass bits on the rotor arm.
  3. Made sure the connections on the coil were tight.
  4. Sprayed the leads, dizzy cap etc with the Holts damp start stuff.
After this I tried the car again and it worked. Sat idling at normal, then after a couple mins, cough, splutter it died

So popped the bonnet to check for loose connections, nothing doing, so tried to start her again. Took a couple attempts with just the starter turning over, but then she started up. Conked out again soon after.

Left for 10 mins while I tried to see if the HT lead on the coil was at fault. No specific play or anything and seems tight. Started the car and it fired first time. Left for a min and then tried driving up my street. All was well for 200 yards, then a familiar cough, splutter and it died again. Wouldn't start up again.

All other electrics are fine still, and just plushed the car back down the street outside my house.

So now I am realllly stumped

Any suggestions?"
Old 22 July 2009, 01:03 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

did u ever get another ignition amplifier for it after the problems you had about before?
Old 22 July 2009, 01:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
did u ever get another ignition amplifier for it after the problems you had about before?
Yep, and this issue is slightly different symptom wise.

With the fooked ign. amp, the rev counter went skitz and the car jerked awfully. This hasn't the same problem, simply coughs, splutters and cuts out.

Thats why I'm totally lost now, as pretty much everything has been replaced, even some wiring.
Old 22 July 2009, 01:37 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Not to sound a bit silly here, but is it a kinda stall as in no pertol getting into the engine? (maybe a clogged fuel filter or what have you, or fuel pump giving up the ghost?)
Old 22 July 2009, 01:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Not to sound a bit silly here, but is it a kinda stall as in no pertol getting into the engine? (maybe a clogged fuel filter or what have you, or fuel pump giving up the ghost?)
Fuel filter is also new mate, and the fuel pump isn't coughing or making any noises it shouldn't.