Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

merc E300TD- any views please?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 07:59 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the market for a big boring comfy reliable swift yet economical saloon. The merc E300 td used comes in at well below 20K and seems like a good choice: test driving one later today.

With 240 ftlb it is reasonably quick. It should be very quiet and well built, if a bit boring compared to the integrale I sold before Xmas. Thing is I've just had a baby daughter and really need some reliable practicality and comfort now - the wife refused to go in the grale towards the end, after I put stiffer springs on her (the car not the wife).
Anyone out there had experience of or owned one - anything I should know?
very grateful for any tips/views.

Adrian
Old 05 March 2002, 02:37 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good friend of mine had one of these new in 98 owned for 3 years. Absolutely faultless car (excluding where yob chucked rock at it). One thing to watch, they're very very easy to clock using a laptop and a cheap bit of software so make sure the mileage is guaranteed (in as much as you can, AA inspection?). Good MPG too of course.

Brother in law has a new E320TD which he loves as a motorway cruiser..
Old 05 March 2002, 03:52 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

I looked at one of these new a couple of years ago. Nice Car but what really put me off was the salesman's condescending attitude. When I tried to negotiate finance he suggested I speak to their finance bloke - lazy swine. My wife felt really uncomforatable and therefore I picked up the vibes and so did I. Bollox to them.

Anyway after being impressed by BMW, I decided that my family had grown up and therefore the need for a large car was just not there any more and I bought an Impreza and never regretted it.

Merc is still a nice car though.. comfortable, reliable, large. Parts are expensive but you don't need them often

JD
Old 03 May 2002, 08:08 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - just got in from work - I bought it!
(Merc dealer so clocking shouldn t be an issue it s guaranteed.)
Its a big change in emphasis for me but it is so relaxing to drive, and living and driving in london that is a BIG plus, also Ill be doing some v long mway trips every week or so..

but Ill miss track days - maybe I should save for a Caterham!

[Edited by zoog - 3/5/2002 8:10:14 PM]