Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2009, 10:22 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus RS

Bit fed up with Insurance hikes (Sti with PPP added), growing car tax etc and still don't like the new shape, mine's one of the last HawkEye's. Fancied a change but not really sure what as nothing else seems to scrub up and reduce the above 'surcharges'. The RS is getting fab reviews and just wondered what everyones thoughts on them were and the difference I would feel between the two. Huge waiting lists but I think that is exciting in a way and gives me the chance to find the best way of getting rid of mine without having to rush given the current climate. But as you can tell by the email still not convinced its the right thing to do particularly as this is my fifth Scooby in a row.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated except the ones telling me I'm a nutter!
Old 10 April 2009, 12:41 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Norm, I think it comes down to personal preference. From the car you are coming from, I can't see the RS being a driving revelation. The 'surcharges' aren't going to improve much. If you really like the look of them, then its a bit of a change but the grass isn't always greener on the other side unless you punt for the luminous green one may be

I like the RS and I am looking forward to seeing it on the road but if I had a Hawkeye Sti PPP then I definitely wouldn't change it for one.

Nothing else really springs to mind to be honest unless you start talking about major wedge and then its premium cars with premium surcharges.
Old 10 April 2009, 01:06 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My old Mk1 Focus RS, was much better on insurance(nearly 600 quid cheaper), and better mpg(280miles to a tank of petrol) then any scooby ive owned, and that was running 310bhp, just hope the mk2 Focus RS has that same sort of running costs.

I was in the same sort of situation a few years ago, I was bored of my Evo 7, and my missus was bored of her car at the time, and we both decided to share a car and wanted something that looked great, went well and didnt cost the earth to run, Dont get me wrong I could not fault the Focus RS, but when you've come from 300+bhp 4wd cars to a 300bhp FWD car, its fine on a sunny dry day, but once the weather is crap, its just not as fun to drive, and you just wish you was driving a 4wd car again.

If you decide to get the new Focus RS, make sure you get yourself a second car, because once the crap weather is back, you will not like a big powered FWD car. I had to abandon my old Focus RS when the snow hit a few years ago, as I couldnt drive the car for more then a foot at a time, In the end I had to leave the car and pick it up the next day!!
Old 10 April 2009, 01:39 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Another Focus RS thread

Old 10 April 2009, 05:13 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

My wife and work both think I should grow up a bit away from the lairy type cars so I went and had a look at a TTS Coupe which is similar performance with AWD just would have to be a used version to keep in my 25k bracket but was pleasantly surprised. With the new engines mpg and tax are both low and the insurance is a lot cheaper as well. I think I'll at least leave it until the RS is out and about to have a look and let the TTS prices drop a bit.