Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Alfa Mito

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 12:29 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Mito

The wife wants to change from her RX8 to something more economical and 'easy'.

We've looked at loads of cars, but they've all been pretty forgettable.

Today we tried an Alfa Mito. It was the 155bhp Veloce version, and it ticked pretty much all the boxes. Not all that common, red, Italian, it has plenty of get up and go and a certain quirky charm.

I liked the DNA switch - you can be driving along normally and switch to D, the suspension firms up, the steering changes, the engine map and turbo boost changes, and it goes all sporty. Switch back to N and it is lighter steering and a more compliant ride. A is for snow and poor grip. Fantastic... 0-60 is 8 sec from a shopping car, and it actually seems faster than that. Quiet and smooth, but harder in D mode. Wheels are 17 inch alloys, the interior is really quite nice.

Reviews suggest that it doesn't have much rear space, but it seemed perfectly ok for a supermini to us. The steering comes in for some criticism because it is too light in N mode, but that's exactly how she wanted it.

Tried the latest Fiesta, Honda Civic, Seats, Toyotas, VWs... this one has flair that the others don't have.

Looking at ordering one.. who said nobody's buying new cars

More details: CarNoise: 2009-2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo Photo & Video Gallery
Old 22 March 2009, 12:34 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have an Abarth 500 but each to their own
Old 22 March 2009, 12:39 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Looked at that too. Similar, same engine, but the Alfa is (loosely) based on the Grande Punto so a bit bigger. All good fun - and a world away from the boring cars...
Old 22 March 2009, 12:43 PM
Carmar
Scooby Regular

For the money (new car) have you thought of a Fiat 500 100bhp sport?, excellent little car and grips all day long. Or a 1.9 multi-jet 130bhp Grande Punto once again a excellent car with a great spec list, the 1.9 multi-jet is getting replaced soon with a 1.6 multi-jet.

Last edited by Carmar; 22 March 2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Adding some more information
Old 22 March 2009, 06:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I really like the new Mito. Saw one in Black at the Metro Centre a couple months ago. Very nice.

The GTA version should be an absolute blast. Approx 240bhp in a car the weighs approx 1200kg.
Old 23 March 2009, 10:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Too much of a bug eye thing going on - front is ugly
Old 23 March 2009, 10:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I like the Mito. In fact I like it so much I bought one back in February and it's due in the next few weeks. I've added a shed load of options which takes it up to £17,500 Still cheaper than a Cooper S though but slightly slower.

The reviews so far aren't great but I disagree with most points. They always moan about the steering (which felt a bit different but not bad) and the ride (which I thought was plush compared to my coilovered GTR).

They do look striking and are much nicer in real life than in pics and they are lovely inside , especially compared to the Fiesta. Seemed an ideal work car for me, I added leather, cruise, climate etc. to make it even plusher.
Old 23 March 2009, 10:42 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Also, I believe they can be chipped to 180bhp
Old 24 March 2009, 11:30 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I love the Mito, Alfa ownership is joy and the Veloce version should be a hoot! Go for it I say, you will only kick yourself if you don't!
Old 24 March 2009, 11:36 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a prod about one of these last week. Seems very well stuck together. Now i'm a bit biased here as i love Alfa's but I really thought everything about the build and cabin were leagues ahead of the Mini.
Old 24 March 2009, 01:02 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to sell the idea of the Mito over the idea of a Fiesta (or indeed nearly all of the other superminis). That's 'cos I like it much better than the 68 or 90 hp Fiesta...

My wife wants the steering to be light, so that turns one of the criticisms of the Mito into a virtue. She hates driving when it snows (the RX8 is unbelievably crap in even the tiniest amount of snow) so the 'A' setting should be a good thing.

In terms of looks, I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea, but if you turned up in it you could imagine somebody saying 'is that your car?'. That simply wouldn't happen with the others.

The reviews aren't good, presumably because it isn't a Ford . What Car and Autocar seem to be able to give cars 2 or 3 stars out of 5 for what seems to be hugely inconsistent reasons. I could see a Gallardo getting 1 star due to the boot being small and the engine being loud.

She wants the leather, so it might be a compromise to get the 120 hp Veloce version, the saving then gets the leather. Much lower insurance group too.

I can't help thinking that the RX8 was quirky and individual (and red) so the Mito is the best match in style and performance. Just need to overcome the resistance to spending more than what a Fiesta costs...
Old 24 March 2009, 01:12 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Bargains to be had: Broadspeed Buy New Alfa Romeo MiTo UK Discount Prices
Old 24 March 2009, 01:15 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

theres clarkson review of it in the sunday times- in the driving section.

funny looks and it'll plumet in value. and break down !! having said that- alfas just do look good overall. are sciroccos cheap enough yet.

used audi TT ?
Old 24 March 2009, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

less hideous than the new sirocco ..!
Old 24 March 2009, 02:57 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Alfa/Fiat won't supply to Broadspeed, and there simply aren't any other discounts, not a penny off !

Big discounts on new kill the residuals anyway, so the complete lack of discount is actually quite promising. Unlike the Fiesta, where a couple of thousand off is normal.
Old 24 March 2009, 03:19 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Not sure that buying a new car is in any way 'economical' or that your wife will appreciate the stiffer suspension and extra turbo mode

On the other hand, if you just want a cute and sexy new lady's car for nipping about then this one is hard to beat. Looks great.

I thought about a big engined Brera 4WD, they just look so damned good, and it's an Alfa, but that makes absolutely no economic sense either

Go for it. Just don't kid yourself it is in any way an economical change

Edit: Used TT much cheaper and some bargains about. Got my wife one in December. You will love the V6.

Last edited by Hoppy; 24 March 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 24 March 2009, 03:23 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
Alfa/Fiat won't supply to Broadspeed, and there simply aren't any other discounts, not a penny off !

Big discounts on new kill the residuals anyway, so the complete lack of discount is actually quite promising. Unlike the Fiesta, where a couple of thousand off is normal.
They are still dealer supplied? I bought a Fiat Multipla from a similar company saving me over £4k, something my local dealer couldn't manage?
Old 24 March 2009, 03:36 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
They are still dealer supplied? I bought a Fiat Multipla from a similar company saving me over £4k, something my local dealer couldn't manage?
My God do they still make those things? No wonder they offered you £4k to take it away!
Old 24 March 2009, 03:45 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
My God do they still make those things? No wonder they offered you £4k to take it away!
I bought it in 2005, thanks anyway though
Old 24 March 2009, 08:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
theres clarkson review of it in the sunday times- in the driving section.

funny looks and it'll plumet in value. and break down !! having said that- alfas just do look good overall. are sciroccos cheap enough yet.

used audi TT ?
Industry figures say 49% value at 3 years/36k so comparable to Mini Cooper. Alfa are trying to compete with the Mini so no discounts on the Mito yet. Well, not significant anyway. I had to practically walk out of the dealership just to get a decent APR never mind money off. Bear in mind that even dealerships are waiting for some of the demonstrators to arrive so these cars are in high demand and low supply. For now. In 3 years, they probably will depreciate quicker than the Mini.
Old 24 March 2009, 08:42 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

I've put my name down for the GTA, which I have been told should arrive around summer time. I can't wait!

Old 25 March 2009, 11:29 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

its not pretty though is it. nice, but not pretty. bit like the bog eyed kid at school.

says he who drives an imprezza !!!!!!!
Old 25 March 2009, 11:57 AM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

True it’s not classically pretty. You can see quite a few styling cues from the 8C in this picture though:

Old 25 March 2009, 12:43 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would boycott this car purely on the grounds of the ghey TV advert.
Old 26 March 2009, 03:20 AM
MissyV
Scooby Regular

I love the MiTo you can spec them quite highly as well for a small price! GTA looks really good but didn't think it was out until early next year?

I haven't seen the TV ad Rabbos...is it really that bad lol?
Old 26 March 2009, 07:51 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen the ad either... and I think I need to avoid it now
Old 28 March 2009, 06:27 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

We picked Marmito up this afternoon, and Sue has pronounced herself very pleased with it. In the real world there is no lack of power compared to the RX8 she's been driving for 5 years, the lightness, early torque and throttle response make up for the actual horsepower deficit.

And we got a teddy...

The ride is firm but no worse than the 8, and she loves the Blue&Me phone capabilities...

A couple of pics in my usual style:

Old 29 March 2009, 01:39 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MissyV
I love the MiTo you can spec them quite highly as well for a small price! GTA looks really good but didn't think it was out until early next year?

I haven't seen the TV ad Rabbos...is it really that bad lol?
Yes it is very poor, even by the shocking standards of modern ads.