Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

TVR CERBERA

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2009, 11:08 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TVR CERBERA

My cousin is looking into one of these. But like me knows very little about them, apart from. They are plastic/blow up a lot and use a Rover engine in some models. Oh and expensive to maintain. Would anyone like to be a bit more constructive or have i hit the nail on the head.
Old 15 March 2009, 12:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

That's about it:

The older TVRs liek the Chimera, 450/400/420 and Griffith etc had the Rover v8 albeit suitably tuned. You can tell by the exhaust sound...Rover V8s engined TVR rumble and howl, whilst the TVR v8 just makes raspy farts. 6 pot is more tuneful and smoother sounding much like an old ERA GP car.

Rover V8 is choice IMO as although they are not powerful or fast, they are a doodle and cheap to rebuild, whillst the TVR's own engine are more bespoke. Unfortunately that doesn't make the rest of the car anymore reliable or better built.

Of course, "really" old TVRs had Ford v6s, which sounded like an old Granada/Capri with a dodgy exhaust (by no means bad thing)

Still great cars, but only to have a laugh with. Not to own, or to drive long term Someone will come along shortly explaining the difference between dual plane and single plane cranks on the V8s causing the exhaust pulses to be different...

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 March 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 15 March 2009, 12:27 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
My cousin is looking into one of these. But like me knows very little about them, apart from. They are plastic/blow up a lot and use a Rover engine in some models. Oh and expensive to maintain. Would anyone like to be a bit more constructive or have i hit the nail on the head.
Dont think you can be more accurate than that TBH.
I very almost bought one about 2 years ago, I spoke to a guy that owned one from work he said
"It looks great only problem is whenever I head off somewhere in it I dont know if I will arrive in the car or a recovery truck"
Old 15 March 2009, 05:50 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried to talk him out of it, or at least get a not so complex model like the chimera.
Old 15 March 2009, 07:06 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that the Cerbera is the one that needs the passenger foot well pretty much removed to change the battery, Now that's a bad sign in itself.