Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Going to view a Clio 172 on sunday......Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 01:54 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to view a Clio 172 on sunday......Advice??

As the title suggests, I'm going to view a Clio 172 on Sunday.

I am looking to buy one as a second motor for work and fancy something with a little bit of fun that has some decent performance, literally the opposite from my Rover 20 TD, minus the Turbo as its literally on its last legs!

This example of 172 is registered in 2000 and has just over 65000 on the clock, 3 previous owners and appears to be in decent condition, well looked after etc.

What I am after is anyone with any experience of the 172 to share their experiences?

What to look for when viewing/driving?

Any common niggles/faults with this year of 172 etc etc

Any advice appreciated!!

Cheers

G
Old 05 February 2009, 08:07 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Check the exhaust as they rot.

Check that it's had a cam belt change and aux. belt change as they should have been done at 5years and it's an expensive job. They are interference engines so it's rather important.

Check fo knocks from the suspension turrets on full lock.

Check it's had a new bonnet catch (current recall)

Check all the electrics!

Plus all the usual about accident damage, docs etc.

Full Renault dealer service is not essential but full service is. The dealers are rubbish so most people steer clear of them!

Steve
Old 05 February 2009, 08:48 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

As above.......

And then steer clear of the car entirely
Old 05 February 2009, 08:59 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Had a few mates who have owned clio 172's, and they have had nothing but problems with them, I was out with a mate a few weeks ago when we went to a Clio sport meet which was only 25miles away from where we live and in the 25miles we had the radiator split on us and to stop off at a garage to put some rad-weld to cure it and we had a tyre shread itself from its alloy on a roundabout and sent us into a spin(lucky we didnt hit anything)!!!!!

Maybe that was bad luck, but he also has to fix the rotted exhaust as it is blowing, and the heatshield from the exhaust is making a racket, and I think something with the aircon needs fixing??? The car is a 2002 Clio 172 with 50k miles on the clock!!!! He has only had it for 6 months and he has had a number of problems that I cant remember, But when working there great little cars!!!!
Old 05 February 2009, 10:27 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My advice? Don't bother.

I had a MKII 172 and hated it. Squeeked, rattled itself around from day one. Dealers couldn't fix certain faults etc.

TBH I didn't think too muchof the handling either. Maybe it was because I came from a 106GTI? Found the engine to be a little lack luster also.

Some people love-em, but I hated them. Will never buy another Renault again.

One decent thing about them mind, is that no matter how hard I thrashed it, it never went below 32mpg.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:31 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Can you stretch to a Trophy? Supposed to be awesome cars albeit may still suffer from niggles noted above ...

TX.
Old 05 February 2009, 11:28 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

The 172 that I am going to look at has had the cam belt/timing belt adjusters and pulleys changed, both rear shockers replaced, power steering pump changed, full service history and its had 2 new handbrake cables and new brake pads all round.

So I think most of the necessary things have been covered there?

I have heard many times the issue of rattles and build quality inside, however, I am spending no more than £2500 on this and its to be used as an A-B works car so that doesn't really bother me at all, as I mentioned I am coming from my current works car of a Rover 20 with 120000 on the clock on an R plate, the 172 is going to be a mighty step up from this!!

Other than the usual rattles and niggles I have had a few mates who have owned Clios and have never had any major issues, allbeit they didnt own the 172 model.

Cheers

G
Old 05 February 2009, 11:31 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
My advice? Don't bother.

I had a MKII 172 and hated it. Squeeked, rattled itself around from day one. Dealers couldn't fix certain faults etc.

TBH I didn't think too muchof the handling either. Maybe it was because I came from a 106GTI? Found the engine to be a little lack luster also.

Some people love-em, but I hated them. Will never buy another Renault again.

One decent thing about them mind, is that no matter how hard I thrashed it, it never went below 32mpg.
Owned a 106 GTi myself(first car) and I loved it, the handling was brilliant, and because its small and weighs naff all, it felt rapid. Even to this day It is one of my all time favorite cars Ive owned and for the price it costs and how much fun it gave even for a n/a car, I would have one again.

I would really consider a 106 Gti as a alternative to the Clio 172, cheaper insurance, tax, better mpg, and if your after power figures the clio has 163bhp/ton where as the 106 gti has 127.57 bhp/ton so not a great deal quicker for the price.
Old 05 February 2009, 11:43 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicgreg
The 172 that I am going to look at has had the cam belt/timing belt adjusters and pulleys changed, both rear shockers replaced, power steering pump changed, full service history and its had 2 new handbrake cables and new brake pads all round.

So I think most of the necessary things have been covered there?

Cheers

G
So its had a few things changed!!! was it recently changed???? 2 new handbrake cables also!!!! Shows that you will be fixing it regular!!!

On a positive note, The owner has spent the cash getting these things fixed so it might be a good one, I had a Golf GTi Mark II as my daily work horse about 6 months ago so I didn't have to put unnecessary miles on my Evo at the time, When things go wrong on your daily work horse and you have to spend cash fixing them and its off the road it can be a bit stressful.

My ideal 2nd car, would have to be something with good mpg, cheap tax and insurance, that can still make you smile when you want to play!!!!!
Old 05 February 2009, 11:46 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The engine often comes loose from the mounts and rattles under acceleration. Most disconcerting!
Old 05 February 2009, 11:55 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The 172 is much quicker 0-100 than the 106 GTi.
If you get a decent 172 it shouldn't give you many problems. Mine hasn't in the six years I've had it.
As has already been said, aux and cambelt schedules are a must. The interior can squeak and rattle a bit on occasion and the airbag warning light comes on if someone sits in the passenger seat (the wires pass under the seat cushion and the connector can work loose) but I can live with that for the grin it puts on my face when I thrash it. It averages 32mpg and 42mpg on a long run too.
Old 05 February 2009, 12:18 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads.

I have considered the 106GTI, 206GTI and 306 GTI-6, all decent cars that I will look at if this Clio doesn't live upto the standard on Sunday.

Tax wise is the Clio 172 not in the £210 per year category? Same as my Rover 200 if so.

G
Old 05 February 2009, 12:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Currently drive a Daihatsu as my primary run-a-bout car now a days. 130bhp with a turbo. Cheap to insure/tax/service/tank up with fuel. Done a few mods to make it more liveable. View my Scooby for details. Essentially a reliable car as a run-a-bout should be.
Had a Clio 1.6 RSi 16v as a run-a-bout and had nothing but trouble. Exhaust rotted very quickly and luckily this decide to give in just around the corner from my house. Air-con is apparrently in a position to get knackered (Like mine did) got quoted £400 for a replacement.
Old 05 February 2009, 12:55 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Currently drive a Daihatsu as my primary run-a-bout car now a days. 130bhp with a turbo. Cheap to insure/tax/service/tank up with fuel. Done a few mods to make it more liveable. View my Scooby for details. Essentially a reliable car as a run-a-bout should be.
Had a Clio 1.6 RSi 16v as a run-a-bout and had nothing but trouble. Exhaust rotted very quickly and luckily this decide to give in just around the corner from my house. Air-con is apparrently in a position to get knackered (Like mine did) got quoted £400 for a replacement.
Yeah, the Air-con is weedy at best. Hot days, I had to have it at full blast and was still quite hot. Rubbish.
Old 05 February 2009, 12:59 PM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

my son has a clio, its pants! get a ford ! people can fix fords!
Old 05 February 2009, 02:19 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Going to view a Clio 172 on sunday......Advice??
Yeah, dont buy one!
Old 07 February 2009, 08:41 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Get a Daihatsu Sirion Rally II great car, pretty quick and crazy mpg and not missed a beat since we've had it.

AllanB
Old 07 February 2009, 11:28 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried one (Cup Pack 182) and didnt like it, probably ok if you are coming from something low powered but it felt pretty lame after a Saab Turbo, I think I am just getting old and like lazy torque, I thought it felt pretty gutless really which surprised me, nothing low down and I waited for some mad top end pull and it didnt, I just thought it was quick-ish.

I chucked it about and it handle ok but I didn't see what the fuss is about, it was okay but perhaps given longer I would have "got it" wasn't going to happen as the driving position didn't suit me, the gear stick was miles away when I had the seat far enough back, I am 6ft so no lanky monster.

I would take it for a decent test drive before you get into checking it out and haggling, you may not like it.
Old 07 February 2009, 06:49 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine had a MK1 Valver, and it was great. Had it for 2 years or so and never missed a beat. He loved it so much, he went and bought a brand new 172. Nothing but grief. The dash fell out, interior roof lining fell out, seams split on the leather seats in the rear (and no one ever used them), just about everything electric worked intermittantly (I think all French cars are like this). He rolled it after about 7 months, and I thing that was the best thing he ever did. (Aw, and the gearbox SEIZED at 80ish on the M54). Renault did do the gearbox under warranty with much debate. I would not touch one with a barge pole, but then again, I would touch nothing french with a barge pole, unless she is blonde, female with huge airbags!

Proby

Last edited by Proby521; 07 February 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08 February 2009, 11:27 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gearboxes seem to be a major issue on Renaults, all the cars I have heard of having gearbox problems over the last few years have been Renaults, bloke at work has a Megane Scenic Gearbox cog as his paperweight.
Old 09 February 2009, 11:11 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Well, sit rep:

Went and drove the Clio 172 and it reminded my of my old Saxo VTS, like a little go kart but with the build quality of one!!

Probably feels faster than it actually goes, you can chuck them about and it put a small smile on my face, that was until I felt like grabbing hold of various components and ripping them out to stop the little annoying rattling sounds!

Onto the Astra Coupe Bertone....

I was quite surprised at this car for two reasons, firstly I was highly impressed by the interior, full red leather interior, seats and doorcards, similar to that which you can get in an M3, its got all the goodies you could wish for in the electrical department, ranging from 6CD, Traction Control, Cruise Control, Elec Mirrors, Heated Seats etc etc
Secondly the actual looks of the motor were surprisingly plesant on the eye, its by no means a piece of art but on the other hand its not ugly to look at.

Now as my job I am usually running around like a headless chicken and rolling around with scum all day long, I have a 35 mile roundtrip and all I was looking for was a car that has 'an element' of luxury and comfort inside, a decent ride, good mgp, relatively 'sporty/nippy', plesant on the eye and cheap to repair/service/maintain....

Its no Nissan R35 in the performance department but I think I've found a serious contender, especially for the price/year first registered.

Thanks for all responses.

G