Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FAO stilover =- 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2009, 07:42 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO stilover =- 996TT

Right. Had a drive in the 996TT X50 on Saturday.
Had a good 45 minutes on every type of road bar a motorway, in the rain and in the dry and all I can say is....

That is one hell of a fast car!

I've driven a few fast ones but nothing has compared to the X50.
It will pootle nicely at 30mph in 3rd but when you mash the accelerator to the floor it really does pin you to the seat and makes your mouth turn up at the corners - wether you're laughing or not, it's that powerful!
I was a bit apprehensive when I got in thinking it would be a bugger to drive, but no. The clutch is a heavy duty affair but is assisted so it's no worse than your average fast hatch. The 4WD keeps you so firmly planted on the road in any weather it's unreal.

After driving for 15 mins it felt like I'd had this car for years, it was that comfortable and easy.
I know there are some who think the TT too clinical, but as I've no other benchmark to measure it against, for me, it's definitely the one.
The engine actually sounds almost V8 like at times but the noise on full throttle made my hairs stand up and this is from the standard X50 exhaust (no official Porsche upgrades for the TT, like the PSE).

Anyway, we agreed a price and are sorting out which warranty to go for, so fingers crossed I'll have it in April.

I just can't stop grinning 24 hrs after driving it, it was so good.
Old 18 January 2009, 07:52 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Sounds great but why are you waiting so long?
Old 18 January 2009, 07:58 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's my mates car and he's doesn't want to sell it until April (balloon payment due then) and it also gives me a few more months to save the last bit of money I need.
Old 18 January 2009, 08:19 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Not been in one of them but recently my sisters other half was given a 2008 997 turbo with the sport pack fitted for 4 months by his boss. Apparently it was gathering dust in his garage
I thought that was like a missile, hits a ton in no time and grips like nothing i've ever been in.
Just wish someone would give me a 100k car
Old 18 January 2009, 08:44 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Good choice, I love mine (not an X50). Bad move agreeing a price three months before you pick the car up. It may/will have dropped 3 to 4 k in value by then
Old 18 January 2009, 09:22 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Jer, I really don't think they'll drop that much but I can still negotiate a bit more .
Thing is, I'm buying on condition and this one really is exceptional and I know the full 6 year history of this car and how it's been driven (31k miles), so I don't even mind paying a bit more.
Old 19 January 2009, 09:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Right. Had a drive in the 996TT X50 on Saturday.
Had a good 45 minutes on every type of road bar a motorway, in the rain and in the dry and all I can say is....

That is one hell of a fast car!

I've driven a few fast ones but nothing has compared to the X50.
It will pootle nicely at 30mph in 3rd but when you mash the accelerator to the floor it really does pin you to the seat and makes your mouth turn up at the corners - wether you're laughing or not, it's that powerful!
I was a bit apprehensive when I got in thinking it would be a bugger to drive, but no. The clutch is a heavy duty affair but is assisted so it's no worse than your average fast hatch. The 4WD keeps you so firmly planted on the road in any weather it's unreal.

After driving for 15 mins it felt like I'd had this car for years, it was that comfortable and easy.
I know there are some who think the TT too clinical, but as I've no other benchmark to measure it against, for me, it's definitely the one.
The engine actually sounds almost V8 like at times but the noise on full throttle made my hairs stand up and this is from the standard X50 exhaust (no official Porsche upgrades for the TT, like the PSE).

Anyway, we agreed a price and are sorting out which warranty to go for, so fingers crossed I'll have it in April.

I just can't stop grinning 24 hrs after driving it, it was so good.

Damn you man, I want one even more now.

I know what you mean when you say they're too clinical. Yes a F430 or a GT3 will be a purer drivers car. Power oversteering out of a corner etc, but I like my cars to grip and go, and the 911 Turbo is the best car for this.

Drive a F430, GT3 etc in the wet and you'll be plodding along worried about it spinning. 911 Turbo? Just gun it

Will look at X50 cars when I get round to seriously looking, but if I can't get one at the right price/colour, then a standard one will do.
Old 19 January 2009, 09:25 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Damn you both, i want one
Old 19 January 2009, 06:24 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Jer, I really don't think they'll drop that much but I can still negotiate a bit more .

Don't you believe it. I would say 996TT prices have dropped at least 10K in 9 months and I can't see it getting any better. In-fact I looked at the tip turbo here (5th one down) Welcome to Anniesland Trade Centre - Stock list in April and it was on for £49995 it's now down to £37555. thats over 12k it's been reduced.
I walked away on this one when they started haggling over £500 they wanted to give me off my M5. I ended up flying down to the south coast and getting one with 3200 miles on the clock.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
Don't you believe it. I would say 996TT prices have dropped at least 10K in 9 months and I can't see it getting any better. In-fact I looked at the tip turbo here (5th one down) Welcome to Anniesland Trade Centre - Stock list in April and it was on for £49995 it's now down to £37555. thats over 12k it's been reduced.
I walked away on this one when they started haggling over £500 they wanted to give me off my M5. I ended up flying down to the south coast and getting one with 3200 miles on the clock.
I'll take your car, and raise it with this.

sovereign car sales : 911 TURBO - SUPERB EXAMPLE

It was only a few months ago that a 996TT at this price would have over 60,000 miles on it. Full Porsche service history, so warranty shouldn't be an issue. I like Seal Grey.

In fact...................

I feel a phone call coming on

No one want's them mate. £29,995 and I'll take it off your hands.
Old 19 January 2009, 08:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
I see what you're saying.
This one is an X50, going on what all the Indys and OPC's have told me (and I rang all the best ones for a chat), an X50 in this condition is, at todays prices, fetching £42.5k.

So I thought £40k would be about right, and as I say, I'm more than happy to pay a bit more for a car that I know the history of.
Old 20 January 2009, 09:04 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm more than happy to pay a bit more for a car that I know the history of.

I would agree with that. Knowing the owner who he's driven it, how he's cared for it, how it's been driven etc etc.

Piece of mind is worth that little bit extra.

I'd hate to buy one and then find out most of it's millage was track work.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:08 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Just been checking insurance quotes.

Based on 6000 miles per year, with it garaged overnight. Worth £35k

£564
Old 20 January 2009, 02:01 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Git
Old 20 January 2009, 03:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Just been checking insurance quotes.

Based on 6000 miles per year, with it garaged overnight. Worth £35k

£564
Blimey that's good!

I've rung a few companies who'll mirror my NCB from my truck and the best I could get was £800 with a £700 xs.
That's parked on the drive (will eventually clear the garage) with a Tracker.

And I'm nearly *cough* 40....