Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What Car?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 09:00 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Car?

Apologies in advance for the length of the post.....

I usually know what car I am going to get next but I am a little stumped this time so would welcome any ideas.

Looking to change the wife's car which she uses for work and is a second car for us - I have a company diesel car which we use for longer runs.

Criteria

1 Only do 5k per year so provided its 20+ mpg I am ok with that
2 Not fussed if road tax is 400 per year
3 Would like it to be no more that 2 years old, though could bend on this
4 Needs to be 4 or 5 doors - we have a new born so need to be able to get him into the back ok with his pram etc in the boot
5 I have 20k to spend. This is the total amount after trade in of our current car (Octavia VRs). Again, I could flex this a little
6 Noticably faster than the Vrs or more practical - not sure which way I want to go with this which is possibly why i'm struggling!

Given that I am struggling on what to buy, maybe it's highlighting that I should keep the Octavia - it's 3 years old, 20k on the clock, new tyres, full MOT, never been a moments trouble, well specced with the Nav, a massive boot!

What I have considered so far

1) Golf R32 - was going to get this but realised how small the boot was when I did the second test drive didn't have the pram with me for the first)
2) VW Touraeg - too big for the wife & slow. Liked the high position as it helped load the baby for my wife who has a bad back
3) Audi S4 - not sure if it fits my budget. Don't know much about them so need to read up a little. Liked an A3 I had a few years ago
4) BMW 530i/535/530d/535i - as per audi above
5) New Subaru Sti - had a WRX before and liked it but no idea on size of boot. Not sure it's a comfy place for a baby?
6) Land Rover Freelander - practical but possibly too slow?
7) Focus RS - like the look of the car but ideally didn't want to buy new

Any other ideas for me ? I know nothing of Merc's/Lexus/Volvo's etc so am missing anything? I need help narrowing down the test drives.

Cheers
Old 19 December 2008, 09:16 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

If it was my money I'd be having a nice 5 series no doubt about it.

Can't get excited about Lexus and Volvos aren't going to set your pants on fire.

Is the vRS a mk 1 or 2? The new one seems pretty swift (though I was happy with my mk 1's performance)
Old 19 December 2008, 09:26 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I have a 530d Touring Sport, the very last of the old version. Fabulous car, not expensive to run, BMW dealer locally is usually very good. The car rarely goes wrong and even then it is tiny things like the washer bottle pipe came unstuck a couple of times.

Does around 33mpg, is swift across country, cheap to insure and huge inside. If I was limited to only owning one car this would be it.
Old 19 December 2008, 09:42 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine who's last 3 cars were BMW 540, 740 and 750 has just bought an 06 (I think) Merc 320D and loves it. He constantly goes on about how he can't believe he's driving a merc and it's a diesel, two things he's always been dead against.

Similar performance to a 530 that he also looked at but a bit wider. Takes all his kids crap no bother.

Don't think you'll get a 2yo S4 for that but maybe a quattro 3.0 TDi.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:00 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

cheers all,

The VRs is the Mark 2 and has been a good car - not a necessity to change, more that I enjoy my cars and like to change every year or so (had this one for 2 years now which is a long time for me).

The 530d BM seems sensible but I can't get away from thinking I would want the 535 - though would have to pay more obviously - maybe get a petrol more or less for my 'budget'.

Will look at the Merc - thanks for the suggestion HankScorpio - don't know much about them but will have a look.

Hutton D - I am tempted to wait probably to Feb/March next year but I am getting twitchy to change
Old 19 December 2008, 12:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

335i, touring would probably suit you best and, IMHO, it's not even close! Practical, looks and goes the part and at some point in the future you are a remap away from more than 350bhp!
Old 19 December 2008, 01:14 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I am going to be contentious and say that if you are going down the BMW/Merc Touring route then get a big diesel. Massive torque, very quick and really suits the cars characters more than petrol.

Keep your high revving, low torque petrol engines for yer coupes and hot saloons.
Old 19 December 2008, 02:20 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy - I really like the 335i - not 100% sure the boot/rear seats are big enough but will definately take the pram and check it out.

Spooky Mulder - I'm not averse the diesel (have it the company car) and it's great. Would be quick enough for me I guess. Do prefer the petrol characteristics generally but guess I need to test both.

Anything else I've not considered - Mazda/Nissan etc?
Old 19 December 2008, 02:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I like those Mazda CX7's
Old 19 December 2008, 02:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

550i Touring.
Old 19 December 2008, 02:29 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Loads of options on that list

All I would say is that the best bargains right now are of the thirsty, big engined variety. Perfect for petrol heads; less so for mums.

Much as I hate them, I have to say a 4x4 seems to fit your criteria quite well. Range Rover or Cayenne are just silly money ATM, if that's your style. Or an Audi/BMW/Merc estate.

Richard.
Old 19 December 2008, 02:43 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

lozgti - had never hard of the mazda - you been in one?

John B -Will check out the 550i - didn't think they did this in touring guise

Hoppy - Not sure a 4x4 is worthwhile for 1 child but they are practical for loading the child. Like the new Freelanders. Think and X5 is too big for the wife

Thanks again all
Old 19 December 2008, 03:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is pretty rare I think. 335i would give more choice if it is big enough, and so easily chipped to 380 BHP.
Old 19 December 2008, 03:10 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Only to sit in while the mx being serviced but its got about 250 bhp and looks different and about £23 new.

Forgot about the Murano too.In fact I bet you would get a low mileage one for not very much and don't they have the same engine as the 350Z? Again,only sat in one but really liked it (we walked away with an X Trail as couldn't afford a Murano)
Old 19 December 2008, 06:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It is pretty rare I think. 335i would give more choice if it is big enough, and so easily chipped to 380 BHP.
John, you're life-choices will be improved no-end when you get over your RWD hang up or stump up the money to buy a set of OEM alloys decked out in winter tyres and a pneumatic bolt gun for your garage

Old 19 December 2008, 06:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

WOW! I just checked and you can get an e60 545i with circa 50,000 miles on a 2004 plate for a £12,000 sticker price! That's a lot of car for the money!
Old 19 December 2008, 06:29 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

yep - i've been looking as well

So far favourites are 335i & S4 (though above what I intended to spend) - I'm only expecting circa 6k for Octavia - 3 yrs old, 20k miles, Nav, FSH, full MOT and new tyres so would hope to chip a decent amount of an S4 which I can't believe are selling too well.
Old 19 December 2008, 06:38 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Here's one from left field for you - SMAX 2.5 - as fast as the vRS AND more practical.

20k will get you a new one. 14k will get you a 57 plate 07/08...
Old 19 December 2008, 06:42 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

That's the type of suggestion I like something I'd not considered. Will give these the once over when I visit the ford garage
Old 19 December 2008, 06:47 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Practical and (nearly) as fast as a V-Rs - SMax Turbo!
Old 19 December 2008, 10:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
John, you're life-choices will be improved no-end when you get over your RWD hang up or stump up the money to buy a set of OEM alloys decked out in winter tyres and a pneumatic bolt gun for your garage

RWD hang up? Perhaps, but can you think of any RWD daily driver that will be as chuckable on a B road as an Evo even in the dry? All the ones I can think of are either slow, have rubbish brakes, poor steering feel or can't keep their tyres on the tarmac on my favourite roads, which usually seem to feature undulations and a load of mud. I cannot think of anything that would be quicker, my hunt for other stuff is simply to have a bit more luxury, satisfaction will have to lie in another car rather than one car that does the Evo thing and is comfortable as it doesn't exist, even a 997 turbo doesn't convert its extra power into substantially quicker lap times (<1s compared to stock FQ340) even on a dry track which should play to its advantage in terms of power to weight and rubber size.

Last edited by john banks; 19 December 2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No, because basically no such car exists. The types of road you describe are fairly unique to Scotland, Wales and parts of England and seldom found in other (warmer) countries (or countries that actually make smooth roads!). In such environments a properly sorted Evo or Scooby with 400bhp or more simply can't be touched by anything this side of a very well driven R500 or Atom and even then???

I think it all comes down to what trade off's we are willing to make. If I had the money I'd almost certainly give up some of that outright pace for a little extra practicality, quality, comfort and image. You've always seemed a little reluctant to do this but it's clear you are nevertheless drawn to a more mature car. As someone who's never been afraid to alter aspects of a car you find unsatisfactory I wonder if there is mileage in buying a RWD car that requires little fettling to get the p/w/r required for desired acceleration levels so that funds can be chucked into other aspects of the car.

Taking the e46 M3 you had as an example: Could it not have been improved significantly with genuine lightweight CSL alloys (or similar) to reduce unsprung weight, better stoppers and a suspension overhaul. Knowing how **** you were about learning everything electronic in a car and, to a lesser degree, mechanical matters, you'd be able to find a set up that would be dramatically better than stock. It'll never match an EVO on said roads but it could get a lot closer. I also think you put a little too much emphasis on outright point-to-point pace. My STI-5 could hump the S2000 across such terrain but believe me the Honda was infinitely more enjoyable and rewarding to drive.

FWIW, whilst I think getting a 911 turbo is a great idea I'd be surprised if it was any faster at all on the roads around Fife than your £15k 400hp Evo. A sad fact of life really

Completely Unrelated: FAO JB

The wife has knackered her back getting into the car; she twisted wrong and got sudden sharp pain that has remained since. I examined her back tonight (no jokes ) and I can see where her spine appears to be quite visually crooked! (c-shaped half way up!). Does this sound like something that can wait for an appointment with the GP early next week or should we seek more urgent medical attention and, if so, from where? She still has reasonable enough mobility but significant pain. I ask mainly out of fear that this could be something that shouldn't be left for a few days before being addressed.

P.S. I'm asking as a friend. I'm not one of those ******** that would point the finger of blame if you said, "wait for an appointment" and that turned out to be wrong.

Last edited by LG John; 20 December 2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 20 December 2008, 12:08 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Consultation

Very likely to be muscle spasm. Warmth, massage, pain killers and keeping mobilising should do the trick. No real need to see the doctor at all if it settles and over the counter painkillers work.

The only emergency which is vanishingly rare in comparison to muscle spasm would be a sudden prolapsed intervertebral disc compressing nerves that control the bladder and sensation around the bottom. This would result in problems with bladder control and numbness and is a medical emergency. I hardly ever see this, and almost never with the history you give which is invariably muscle spasm (which hurts a lot but does no harm).
Old 20 December 2008, 12:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thanks, appreciated.

Looks like more trips to the kitchen to refill the hot water bottle for me then <sigh>

I'm off to double check she's not wee'd herself
Old 20 December 2008, 12:14 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Re the cars, also not trying to take this thread off topic, to sort an E46 M3, I think it would indeed need smaller, lighter weight wheels with more sensible tyre profile, new compliant suspension (even then it might not have the travel required), new steering rack, new brakes and a supercharger to unbalance it all again

I still think a 1500kg Legacy with a 500 BHP 2.5 - twin scroll and dual AVCS, suspension, brakes would be the best all rounder. I don't see me doing it as there are no base cars anywhere near.

I really looked forward to a UK 335ix, but despite the rumours it isn't happening. That could have been awesome with basic mods.
Old 20 December 2008, 12:17 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've been keeping a keen eye on the 3.0H6 Spec B Legacy's but I admit the import twin scrolls have also caught my eye. My only beef is they are more expensive than the Spec B, hard to find and it's very rare to find one that has all of the following: a) manual box b) sat-nav/display screen c) leather interior.

I've also not seen one in the flesh up close but the interior looks pretty classy and well designed from the pics/vids.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:08 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, here's my take - as I've been in the same situation for the last 6 months!!

I moved from the Scoob to an Audi S4. Same type of reasons - family, and a Labrador that won't bend around seats!! (Think of "Clifford -the big red dog"!)

I have to admit that the Audi has been a FANTASTIC car. Yeh, yeh, yeh, I've heard all of the "complaints" around the lack of feel in the steering, and IMHO, unless you're on a track, you won't really notice it.
Bear in mind that the S4 is a BIG car - it isn't designed to be a car that you can chuck about. Also, with kids & dogs, they don't tend to appreciate the attempts!!

I was surprised at the boot - it's OK - not Volvo-esq, but big enough for our two dogs and bags But considering that it was highlighted as a weak point...

MPG, well, AT BEST, I've been getting around 25/26 mpg. And that is in Jeremy Clarkson "Let's see if I can get to and from Scotland on one tank" mode.
But let's be honest, why have a performance car and drive it like a funeral car? Realistically, I get v.low 20s.

Seats are a personal thing. Leather as standard (I've also got the carbon fibre trim). They are hard, but with my back I find it very comfortable to drive.
Kids at first didn't like it - "Daddy, I don't like the car - it hurts my neck too much" - acceleration in comparison to my modded Scoob!

I've had it now for nearly 3 years, and have done a good 20K hassle-free miles. Cheap(ish!) reliable motoring.
Tyres are pretty good, I'm on my 2nd set (just) - Pilot Sports are factory fit (IIRC), but I put on Toyo Proxies and they are very good, albeit slightly noisier.

Which brings me on to my choices for a replacement. And putting it simply, the Audi is a difficult car to replace.
I've looked at :-
Price vs performance vs practicality and opportunity to save some expense(!)

Golf GTi - great car, but can I live with the 2wd and "only" 200bhp. Cheap
Golf R32 - heavy car, and not a cheaper option (compared to the Audi)
Seat Leon - cheap Golf. Rubbish dealers (around here anyway)
Ford Focus RS -non-family friendly ride. Expensive. Poor badge perception* Very sporty though!
Vauxhall VXR - ugly. Too mainstream.
Vauxhall Monaro - impractical. No boot. V8.........
BMW Touring - still not convinced about the styling.
Audi A4 TDi - almost as expensive as the S4 (when specc'd). Too common. V frugal though.

And the list goes on......

But you'll see that I've haven't put down another S4...... why? Well, when I had Scoobs, I progressed from a standard old one UP. The Audi's next upgrade is an RS4, which whilst I would love it, I can't justify one. The S4 is V good, but I've found my right car, and want to move on to something else now. I might come back to them, but I want to try something else.

Suffice to say, this is why I've still got my S4. performance vs practicality, the Audi is a VERY strong package. Sure there are other options, but I'm biding my time.

Of course MY other option is that I give the S4 to my wife, turn her P1 306 GTi6 into my track car and get something a little bit interesting for me (but that opens another can of worms!!LOL!)

I hope my post makes sense (I think I've rambled slightly!) - I'm getting at the fact that it is VERY hard to find the right car. If Audi is your thing, go and try one on a LONG test drive (even a weekend loan), see if you can live with the running costs.
Of course the other thing is that they are relatively rare - in my entire time with the car, I've probably seen 10! And that's nationwide driving. Always nice to have something a bit unique!!!

Dan

* I was driving my S4 the other day, and there IS a feeling that you're driving a quality item. Note, not necessarily a GOOD item (in the eyes of other drivers )

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 20 December 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:42 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply ScoobyDoo555 - interesting to hear of owners experiences of a car.
Having looked on autotrader there does appear to be a number of cars not much more than my 20k budget so with a bit of haggling I could keep my overspend down - need to head the dealers to have a look (liked my A3 ownership experience)