Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi TT225

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2008, 07:15 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi TT225

I've been thinking of looking for an Audi TT225 after seeing the prices drop but can't find much info on the differences between the models (150bhp, 180bhp, 225bhp - not wanting V6)
I can only see the V6 has different bumpers (are the lower sections interchangeable?), the 225 has twin tailpipes and some wheel differences

Is there any major differences engine wise or is it down to different maps?
is 1 model more reliable than the others?
does anyone know the performance/ mpg figures?
has anyone actually owned a TT and was it "ok"?

i know they used to be a hairdresser car but in akoya silver (light grey) they do look nice
Old 15 November 2008, 09:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

150 is front wheel drive and rare in comparison to the 180 and 225, same basic engine for all but different turbo's, maps and intercoolers, 225 has a bigger turbo, two intercoolers etc.

Engines are well proven and largely issue free of major issues, coil packs used to be a problem but seems to have been cured by and large, they do mega mileages and I cant say I have heard of anything fundamental failing.

They used to have a dash problem, again probably most sorted but do your research.
Old 15 November 2008, 11:09 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

thanks Jacko - did the dash problem mean a new instrument cluster was needed? i had an A4 which lost some of the pixels and needed a new cluster at £500 - is this the same problem?

so the 180 and 225 are 4wd (quattro?)
Old 16 November 2008, 11:22 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 225 is 4wd and iirc the 180 came in both but the 2wd one didnt do well.

As Jacko said they are pretty much the same car the only difference is that the 225 has a bigger turbo, injectors and two intercoolers the 150 and 180 will be the same just the map will be different.
Old 16 November 2008, 02:50 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

I've heard there was an update around 2002 - anyone know what was changed?
Also noticed some cars have black headlights and some clear - i thought they all had xenons?
Old 16 November 2008, 03:10 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Mrs had a MY2000 225 TT and it was a very good car for the 2 years we had it.

Look awesome with the 18" multi spokes. Only problem we had with ours was ABS sensor needed replacing (about £40 IIRC) and another sensor which was about £100.

Personally I'd steer well clear of the 150/180 bhp versions. The 225 doesn't feel that quick but I guess it depends on what you're used to. A remap takes them up to 260 ish quite easily which is still quite a bit of poke.

Despite the hairdresser jibes I still think they are very pleasing to the eye, not many cars nearly 10 years old still look modern. Interior is a very nice place to be also.

They are very cheap now, you get an awful lot of car for your money. If circumstances were better we'd have another one in an instant
Old 17 November 2008, 03:00 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
I've been thinking of looking for an Audi TT225 after seeing the prices drop but can't find much info on the differences between the models (150bhp, 180bhp, 225bhp - not wanting V6)
I can only see the V6 has different bumpers (are the lower sections interchangeable?), the 225 has twin tailpipes and some wheel differences

Is there any major differences engine wise or is it down to different maps?
is 1 model more reliable than the others?
does anyone know the performance/ mpg figures?
has anyone actually owned a TT and was it "ok"?

i know they used to be a hairdresser car but in akoya silver (light grey) they do look nice
The V6 differences are front and rear bumpers, aside from the engines of course. Rear bumper bottom section is interchangeable and is a popular modification, circa £40 from ebay, will look good on akoya silver, but on some colours it is not so good, blue for example.

In 2002 there was an uplift in spec, the front grill changes on all models from a 5 bar to a 3 bar. Also the alloys changed too. There may be some other mods too, but somebody will put you right on that.

Personally I woud avoid the 180 and the 150 bhp models as well. I think the 150 bhp is front wheel drive only, and the 180, despite often being comparable spec wise to the 225 does not look right from the back with just the single exhaust in my opinion and is not much cheaper, and as soon as a 225 pulls up near you, you will kick yourself for not buying one.

MPG wise, around town on my daily commute is around 27/28 for six mile journey, but a run will easily see mid thirties. Only had mine since June, paid £8000 for 2002 model with 60K, full audi history from an independent dealer, the bloke had part exchanged it for a 350z. It is probably worth six now, but I dont care as I have no plans to change it. Try and get one with BOSE sound upgrade too, sounds superb, most have it, but if it does not, haggle some off the price.

Shampoo and set anyone!?!?
Old 17 November 2008, 06:18 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies - still trying to find 1 in silver (avus is the correct name) with decent mileage.
I'm driving a mk5 Golf now and have had several turbo VAGs so know about coilpacks, mafs, etc but if i find the right car i can always get an aftermarket warranty.
I suppose getting the 225 is the best move as with getting a less powerful model you always regret it in the end.
Old 17 November 2008, 07:48 PM
ProdrivePaul
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by robby
I've heard there was an update around 2002 - anyone know what was changed?
Also noticed some cars have black headlights and some clear - i thought they all had xenons?
Nope, if they've got headlamp washers then it's specced with xenons

No washers means boggo - standard lamps.