Lotus v TVR

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 04:38 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus v TVR

Elise or Chimaera.

I have an mx5.Bought because it is sensible,reliable and looks ok.It's just not fast.

Bottom line is,after 18 months I'm still not over enamoured and still feel what I should have bought was what I really wanted...an elise.Problem is,just seen a TVR Chim in BRG,Lreg for £5500 .

Wife would kill me,but being unsatisfied on the car front is terrible!

People on here have given great (conflicting) advice on the elise.Would a15 year old TVR end up just being an ornament in my garage or do the buggers actually work?

Cheers
Old 16 October 2008, 04:48 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about a VX220? my mate has one and whilst there is no way it would come anywhere near a Chimera on a straight the handling is great. he gets loads of positive comments as well.

Dead reliable and cheap to run

Vauxhall : VX220 NA 2001

Last edited by The Chief; 16 October 2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old 17 October 2008, 01:47 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Been down exactly the path your considering. Had a VX220 turbo with carpets, and just found it too harsh to live with everyday. So went back to a MX5 but a turbo one. The MX5 is a much nice car to live with, and a turbo version is a real hoot.

But then I started to do motorway driving and odd jaunt to le-man each year, and just found even the turbo MX5's gearing too short.

So then considered an Elise, test drove one and found it far worse to live with than even the VX220. Always loved the Chims so got up close and peronal to a couple of them around the price bracket your looking at and TBH they were falling apart, rubish build, leather and interior was all past ehre sell by date, and really did feel like a kit car.

So not yet taken the plunge butI am now looking to up the budget slightly and either a S2000 or a Z3M, Both quick, and easy to live with. S2000's can be had for 8K these days, as can a Z3M, and possibly less in the current market.

But if its still a toss up between Elise and Chim - Unless its a total toy, and I mean a 2nd/thrid car for dry weather weekend fun only. I would still probably go for a chimera, but be prepared to look at many, and get your hands dirty, and be handle with a volt meter; )
Old 17 October 2008, 05:03 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

I'd err on Chimaera too - I've always loved the shape and the sound - just a nice place to be. Wide, short gearstick high transmission tunnel makes it feel quite special compared to euro box, long bonnet, V8 urge.

Elise is a much sharper and ultra modern in comparison - More like a toy though (a very good one). Fine to be owned by folks happy to take car to garage to be fixed.

For a sunday car to go out with the roof down and burble down the back roads, I'd say the Chimaera wins hands down.
For me I'd be 'enthusiast owner' and suggest to avoid financial 'dissapointment' this would be the best angle - i.e. happy to take quite a lot apart to fix things and would be unlikely to see a garage.

For ragging it round a track get the elise. Have driven an elise a fair bit. Always fun - never dull.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:13 PM
mr fix it
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want from the car. In the past I have had a TVR Chim, just had a lotus Exige and also have had a few subarus (type R ad a few wagons). The TVR sounds great, goes very quick in a straight line and is not too bad around the corners. Its also feels very special to drive and is comfortable on long journeys and has a large boot. If you get a well built and looked after one it will also not let you down. But there are loads of dogs out there so you need to pick wisely. Otherwise it will be off the road more often than on. I had no problems with mine over the 2 years I had it. I drove loads of Loti before I bought a 240cup, which was the fastest one I could get for the money. It needed to be, since the standard lotus cars all feel very slow in comparision to the TVR and subarus. I had driven S1s and S2s before buying the exige and they also felt very slow in comparison. The supercharged 240 cup was the first one that I felt was as quick. The Lotus however all drive much better in terms of handling. However, most of them are not comfortable to be in. The seats have no padding, so unless you get the sports seats which have the holes for the harness, any other seat will give you ar$e ache within 15 minutes. Also the boot is a lot smaller so if you have a high maintainence wife/partner it will not go down well! Just drive a few and buy the one that gives you the biggest smile!
Old 17 October 2008, 08:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

TVR.
Old 18 October 2008, 07:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Supercharge the MX5 and uprate the suspension
circa 200bhp in a well sorted rwd pocket rocket will put a smile on your face for sure

UK MX-5 Owners Club :: View topic - Superchargers available for Mk1 1.6

a 5k TVR or lotus will require deep pockets and plenty of patients.

More a hobby than reliable motors IMHO

i am excluding the newer generation Loti as the seem much better

If i had to choose it would be the TVR - the noise from that engine gives me wood!

Last edited by The Zohan; 18 October 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 18 October 2008, 07:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Having been on a 2000+ mile european roadtrip this summer in a TVR Chimaera 4.5 and Lotus Elise for the third time running I would actually go for the Chimaera if you only plan to use it as a toy.

My mates had his 4 years and its never missed a beat. Feels really special to drive and be in - the noise turns heads everywhere and its surprisingly good even on the twisties - not all lairy oversteer - these things grip like hell but with power oversteer if you want it.

The Elise is also great, but the interiors are really cramped and feel tired after hardly any miles, suspension bumps and crashes all over the shop and they really aren't that quick other than booting it in 1st and 2nd.
Old 20 October 2008, 11:04 AM
rjstacey
Scooby Regular

For a daily drive I'd stick with the MX-5 and go for a supercharger or turbo!
I used to have a mk1 with a turbo on and uprated everything else and beat a couple of exiges out and about! It handled well and you could hold the back end out all day long! Only prob is when it's wet... Used to get wheelspin in 5th!