Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S-MAX 2.2 Titanium Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2008, 07:32 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-MAX 2.2 Titanium Diesel

Has any one got one of these? I have just ordered a brand new one as i need a large car for the 2 kids and 2 dogs etc, thought they looked great, have read good reviews about them as well, what do the owners say (if there are any?)
Old 02 October 2008, 07:43 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default SMAX

i hired a titanium spec 1.8tdci back in easter for a trip home.
it did everything i wanted very well. one of the most comfortable cars i've driven. 360 miles to Liverpool wasn't a chore, got out of the car feeling relaxed.
i don't think you'll be disapponted.
Old 02 October 2008, 08:09 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

ask away here mate

S-MAX Owners Club
Old 02 October 2008, 08:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have the Galaxy which is basically the same thing, same platform and engines, just more of it, superb car at what it does, plenty of space, comfy, fast enough, handles well and for a people carrier looks quite swish. We have the 2.0 Ghia in Tango Red which looks great, also has the DVD players which keeps the kids quiet. The S-Max is a slightly lower profile version of the same, with the new 2.2 170 bhp diesel it will be a flyer, handle well and look good, dont think you can go wrong, we went for the Galaxy as we have 3 kids and soon a Dog, if you just have 2 kids the an S-Max is plenty, if you have no kids go and have a word with yourself and get yourself down to another showroom.

Only downsides we have had is the seat trim isnt the most resellient to kids and their sloppy eating habits, the alarm needed a new battery and traction in the wet is limited.

However it is streets ahead of the old Sharan we had.

Another 5 years and back to normal cars !
Old 02 October 2008, 08:37 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

I hate people carriers!
Old 02 October 2008, 08:56 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davecweed
I hate people carriers!
do you walk everywhere??? as any form of motor vehicle or bike come to that point, by definition is a people carrier. Unless of course it is used my some other kind of animal. Though i haven't seen many budgies driving cars.
Old 02 October 2008, 09:00 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I hate people carriers!
Old 02 October 2008, 11:51 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob878
do you walk everywhere??? as any form of motor vehicle or bike come to that point, by definition is a people carrier. Unless of course it is used my some other kind of animal. Though i haven't seen many budgies driving cars.
lol, numpty
Old 03 October 2008, 09:05 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

there is a long term review of one on channel4/4car.com
Gets a good write up.
Old 03 October 2008, 10:23 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I hate people carriers!
I dont think anyone buys one because they desperately want one, for us its a choice between squeezing into an estate or buying a pointless 4 by 4 thats less economical and doesnt handle as well, its called a compromise.
Old 03 October 2008, 07:03 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I dont think anyone buys one because they desperately want one, for us its a choice between squeezing into an estate or buying a pointless 4 by 4 thats less economical and doesnt handle as well, its called a compromise.

Indeed a compromise yes, and considering how much it will cost me a very good one as well. I could quite as easily got myself a new estate car but decided not to do the squeeze thing as i do not need to if i get an S-MAX, the 2.2 has 400nm of torque as well so should be quite entertaining to drive as well, they can be bumped up to 470nm i believe as well!!!

i also have my MY98 Sti as a "go fast" car, this is having a 2.5 built for it as i write and will not be slow, therefore i have the best of both worlds i think, comfort, space and massive speed if i use the other car
Old 04 October 2008, 12:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
Indeed a compromise yes, and considering how much it will cost me a very good one as well. I could quite as easily got myself a new estate car but decided not to do the squeeze thing as i do not need to if i get an S-MAX, the 2.2 has 400nm of torque as well so should be quite entertaining to drive as well, they can be bumped up to 470nm i believe as well!!!

i also have my MY98 Sti as a "go fast" car, this is having a 2.5 built for it as i write and will not be slow, therefore i have the best of both worlds i think, comfort, space and massive speed if i use the other car
I find that the Galaxy is plenty fast enough for what it does, a 2.2 S-Max will be great, perhaps not that fast on paper real world quick and doesn't get left behind on the motorway, our just lopes along and I dont make a beeline for my 250 bhp Saab, to be honest the Galaxy is nicer to drive in most situations.

We (Petrolheads) tend to make excuses, compromises and spend inordinate amounts of money to go fast when we dont really need to.
Old 04 October 2008, 12:23 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I passed an S-Max about 10 minutes ago.
It was black with rear tints and nice spangly wheels.

Looked very nice actually

I reckon it's one of the nicest looking cars Ford do at the moment.
Can you get them with the 2.5 petrol from the Focus ST?
Old 04 October 2008, 02:43 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I passed an S-Max about 10 minutes ago.
It was black with rear tints and nice spangly wheels.

Looked very nice actually

I reckon it's one of the nicest looking cars Ford do at the moment.
Can you get them with the 2.5 petrol from the Focus ST?
Yes you can same 2.5 engine, i think the 2.2 diesel is now a 170 bhp (variable turbo) as fitted in the new mondeo
Old 04 October 2008, 06:09 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

I think they are rated at 175bhp (the extra 5 does make a difference you know, especially down the pub) and about 400nm of torque which is quite a lot, I live in Germany at the moment so need a decent fastish autobahn cruiser most of the time,
I currently drive an ageing Volvo V40 T4 for the family car, which despite having an alledged 200bhp is not that impressive (the turbo is tiny!) and only does 27mpg max, I should hope to see at least 45mpg in the S-MAX driving in the same manner as the Volvo this will be more than acceptable in my circumstances for the time being as well as having loads more room and a much nicer drive to boot (pun intended)
Mine will be black with the tinted windows and spangly new wheels etc I have not put any extras on either as I shall only have it a year before I trade it in for another one, i'm quite looking forward to getting it now