Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VAUXHALL WHEEL WOBBLE

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 08:48 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry VAUXHALL WHEEL WOBBLE

Has anybody had a wheel wobble problem on a new Vauxhall Zafira/ Astra/ Vectra? My Zafira is 6 months old and has been into Vauxhalls with the above problem. I got it back at the weekend and all they had done was a visual check and found nowt wrong so they just re-balanced the wheels!! When I drove it I found they had made the problem worse I have the car booked in again this week and was wondering if anybody else had had the same or similar problem, so I can give the dopeyhole Vauxhall mechanics a clue as to what is wrong (I personally think its a CV joint or driveshaft but then (implied in not so many words by Vauxhalls) what would I know
Old 10 September 2008, 08:48 AM
RAMP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop the car into a sensible tyre centre and get them to check the balance of the wheels,If thats ok try swapping the wheels front to back and if the problem is still there then ask the dealer to look into it further.
Old 10 September 2008, 09:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Have the tyres been checked?
Old 10 September 2008, 03:03 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Yes they've checked, balanced and swapped the wheels and its still there. In fact it was worse after it had been balanced!!
Its going back in to the dealership again tomorrow and i'm not going to take it back till its either sorted or they give me a new one!!
Old 10 September 2008, 07:06 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I have a company 55 plate Vectra and had no problems touch wood. Another colleague has an 04 Vectra and has nothing but problems, two steering racks in a matter of months!
Old 11 September 2008, 10:10 AM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

Balanced does not equal straight, I'd jack them up and give them a spin to see if the wheel is round (watch the rim as it spins, make sure to check front and back of the wheel) and not bent between the rim and the centre (watch the tire as it spins for a bike like buckled wheel)

Could have been curbed on delivery or a fault with the wheel.

Last edited by Eddie1980; 11 September 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11 September 2008, 01:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Could be a bent knackered driveshaft?
Old 11 September 2008, 01:16 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddie1980
Balanced does not equal straight, I'd jack them up and give them a spin to see if the wheel is round (watch the rim as it spins, make sure to check front and back of the wheel) and not bent between the rim and the centre (watch the tire as it spins for a bike like buckled wheel)

Could have been curbed on delivery or a fault with the wheel.

Have done that, my initial thought was a dodgy tyre but all appears ok to the eye. The wobble comes and goes which is odd and leading me to think its something mechanical?? My money is on a dodgy CV joint!! I suppose Vauxhalls won't spend any money unless they have to!!
Its back in this afternoon so fingers crossed!!
Old 11 September 2008, 01:27 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Good luck with them. my combo 57 plate has been IN there workshop (city vauxhall) since 29th july. waiting for a new wiring loom. to top it all off they have tried one after 3 weeks and got the wrong one so guess they waiting for the next one. luckily they gave me a nice new astra to hoon around
Old 11 September 2008, 02:52 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
Good luck with them. my combo 57 plate has been IN there workshop (city vauxhall) since 29th july. waiting for a new wiring loom. to top it all off they have tried one after 3 weeks and got the wrong one so guess they waiting for the next one. luckily they gave me a nice new astra to hoon around
Blimey since 29th July thats a while
They're giving me an Astra as well (as they have no Zafiras??? I thought it was a Vauxhall dealership) trouble is I have a Zafira with 7 seats as I have 5 children, but the Astra only has 5 seats !! Houston we have a problem!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 03:31 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Funny you say that. our combo has rear seat conversion as carry 2 other ppl normally. this astra van has 2 seats? TOUGH pretty much
Old 13 September 2008, 07:52 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Has anybody had a wheel wobble problem on a new Vauxhall Zafira
I have a mate with a `55 plate Zafira 1.9 CDTI, it has an intermittant wheel wobble between 65-75 mph. Any speed below and above is fine.

He`s has the wheels balanced but it`s still there. If he has it on cruise at around 70 the wheel will visably wobble for a while and then stop, gradually it`ll return. It doesn`t appear to be getting worse. VX don`t have a clue.
Old 15 September 2008, 07:41 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
He`s has the wheels balanced but it`s still there. If he has it on cruise at around 70 the wheel will visably wobble for a while and then stop, gradually it`ll return. It doesn`t appear to be getting worse. VX don`t have a clue.
That is exactly what our Zafira is doing (albeit between 70 and 80mph now). They've balanced the wheels, tried different wheels and checked suspension/drivetrain etc and its still the same. The customer service manager has even taken another Zafira of the same spec out and said to me compared to that one ours is definately not right!! Nice for them to admit something is wrong instead of coming up with bulls**t excuses like they usually do!!! Its still in at the moment and I don't hold much faith in getting it back in the near future
If they do cure it I will let you know!
Old 16 September 2008, 09:20 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

If they do cure it I will let you know!
Cheers for that! His car is out of warranty at the end of the month so ideally he`d like to get it sorted out sharpish!

Have they looked at CV joints on yours yet? The VX dealer has visually looked at the front suspension etc and they can`t find any fault.

Initially they said due to the fact that it happened north of 70mph they couldn`t road test it as to do so would be illegal!
Old 16 September 2008, 09:37 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Initially they said due to the fact that it happened north of 70mph they couldn`t road test it as to do so would be illegal!
Ha, my Beamer had a fault that occurred at about 120mph. They managed to recreate it
Old 17 September 2008, 10:51 AM
Wenker Man
Scooby Regular

I would get the wheels and tyres swaped front to rear, then see if the problem moves or stays the same (front axle wheel wobble is usually felt through the steering, rear axle wobble is usually felt through your **** ). I once had a fulty tyre on a car, which looked normal, was perfectly round and was balanced, but caused all sorts of vibration issues. I only found out which tyre was at fault when it eventually wore out and I had a new pair of tyres fitted.

Other than that, I would say sloppy suspension rubber somewhere allowing a small wheel vibration to get worse by allowing it to resonate at certain speeds. On a couple of my old cars I had run ins with dealers about handling/driving issues with my car and being fobbed off with "nothing obviously worn, sir". When on my own inspection I found the rubber on lower control arm bushing were starting to perish and where a little too sloppy than what i would say is normal (and thus was causing my 50mph intermittant wheel wobble, and a vibration when initially braking at 80+mph which diappeared if I braked harder or stopped braking and reapplied them), I was then told it was normal wear and tear (this was on a 2 year old car with just 20K ).

Last edited by Wenker Man; 17 September 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 17 September 2008, 06:52 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that! His car is out of warranty at the end of the month so ideally he`d like to get it sorted out sharpish!

Have they looked at CV joints on yours yet? The VX dealer has visually looked at the front suspension etc and they can`t find any fault.

They've tested it and admitted theres a fault. Apart from balance, swap wheels etc they aint done much else (other than put extra miles on the car) They've had the car for a week in total! I told them from day one that I thought it was the shafts and/or cv joint but as yet they still not changed jack sh*t. Got the car back yesterday and told to try it for two weeks then report back. Don't see how it can be any different seeing as they have't done anything Going to ring tomorrow as not happy driving a car with an obvious fault, especially as I carry my 5 kids in the car. Idiots is the only way I can describe them!
I'm going tell them I don't want the car, and I am fed up of being fobbed off. They can buy my car off me and provide me with a new car of the same spec for no extra cost on the monthly payment, or face legal action. Be interesting to see what their reaction will be!!!!
Old 21 September 2008, 11:46 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Do you get any noise when loading up the front wheels? i.e. when on a bend...

I had an issue with my Golf which turned out to be worn front bearings. After these were replaced the noise came back because the garage hadn't tightened the hub nuts properly!

Now that's done - all is fine.
Old 21 September 2008, 04:41 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Nope no noise just an annoying wobble that comes and go's whether its on a bend or not.
I've spoken to Vauxhalls and they've agreed to swapping the car for us with no arguments!!! Just hope they sort our old one before flogging it on again
Old 22 September 2008, 09:50 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

im surprise at that. Was that the dealer that offered that or vauxhall themselves? My van STILL not back yet
Old 22 September 2008, 01:24 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I think the fact that I told them that if anything failed whilst i've got my 5 kids in the car I'd be holding them responsible helped my cause!!
Old 22 September 2008, 08:33 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Good result there blu-scoob! I guess we`ll never get to the bottom of it now though......
Old 22 September 2008, 09:17 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

guess i should push for a new van. altho im sure i will have a fair point now.
Old 01 October 2008, 12:44 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Surprise surprise Vauxhalls have gone back on their agreement to exchange the car! (I half expected this!) Mine has been in again for repair (managed to get a Zafira courtesy car out of them this time though) They have changed the flywheel and guess what no change. I now have the car back and have spoken to trading standards who have told me to now deal with my finance company who have a duty to sort this complete **** up out!! Will post the outcome when (or if) it ever arrives!!
Old 01 October 2008, 12:58 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

that doesn't surprise me either, i had been requested on several occasions by the dealer to return the courtesy van as it was being replaced with a hire van, only to be called 10 mins before leaving cancelling it. Well my van actually got returned to me on monday, have yet to try it out to see if the problems are resolved tho. Dont hold my breath just yet.
Old 01 October 2008, 01:16 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

They are useless. Think they work on the understanding that we'll get fed up before they do! I got quite cross with the customer care manager (not aggressive just firm) which is how I got a Zafira courtesy car out of them. I've just been onto the finance company who are going to be the "go-between" to get the problem sorted. They were excepionally helpful when I told them that I had spoken to Trading standards!! I defo suggest anyone whos had a problem like this to get in touch with TS as it seems to be a useful tool for making the b***ards listen to you

Spec'c'57; I hope they've sorted your problems out once and for all (got my fingers crossed), although like you say "don't hold your breath"
I don't envy anyone who has to deal with these useless dealerships!!

volks; has your mate had any luck yet??

Last edited by BLU; 01 October 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01 October 2008, 03:04 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

volks; has your mate had any luck yet??
He`s looking at getting shot of it to be honest. His wife loves it but in the past 7 months it`s had a new alternator, starter motor and a new inlet manifold. This ongoing wheel wobble, and VX`s resistance to sort it has pretty much made up his mind.
Old 01 October 2008, 07:42 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

He`s looking at getting shot of it to be honest. His wife loves it but in the past 7 months it`s had a new alternator, starter motor and a new inlet manifold. This ongoing wheel wobble, and VX`s resistance to sort it has pretty much made up his mind.
I don't blame him one little bit, such an irritating problem! I have written a letter to the finance company telling them that its a replacement or end the contract and take the car back. If they do the latter its a trip to VW for a Touran
Old 02 October 2008, 09:48 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Spec'c'57; I hope they've sorted your problems out once and for all (got my fingers crossed), although like you say "don't hold your breath"
I don't envy anyone who has to deal with these useless dealerships!!
Well used my van last nite and it seems fine at last. time will tell i guess. BUT our other combo has now been returned as there is a strangle rettle from the LPG tank. see how long this takes.
Old 09 October 2008, 07:42 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Any update on this blu-scoob?

Quick Reply: VAUXHALL WHEEL WOBBLE