Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

bhp diesel power + tuning box

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2008, 10:50 PM
Al9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink bhp diesel power + tuning box

hi has anyone had any dealings with this product, to know if they are any good and does what it says. i have a saab 1.9 tid vector sport(05 model) with 150bhp as standard and around 315NM of torque and does about 50mpg. i can get this item for £300 or £389 fitted but need to know does it work. the site says it will bring it to 177bhp and 370NM of torque and increase the mpg by around 15-20% so 55-60mpg. would u notice the differnce in umph! or not noticable. dont want to spend if it just a usless gadget. It suppose to have 3 setting power, economy and a bit of both. If i have it on power will my fuel consumption go worse, and if i have a bit of both then i guess i wouldnt have the 177bhp???? advice greatly appreciated
Old 28 August 2008, 11:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow this, but do you mean "tuningbox" or "DPT (diesel power tuning)".?

Both are different products.

I know of DPT but nothing about Tuningbox.

DPT has power and economy programming set by the installer (plus the default generic settings if you have it mail odered instead of installed).

Does it work?

Set for Performance...YES, however it differs greatly from car to car. Mercs, BMWs (and BMW powered Range Rovers) go like stink, but on bland shopping cars, say a Kia Sportage CRDi...just a little more urge.

Set for Economy; Not a clue. Quentin Wilson seems to wax lyrical about it, but then he also condoned running veggy oil in Duratorq Transits

Power AND Performance: Ha, well, its kind of possible. But part of this lot is done by changing your gearshift habits moreso than anything.

You see, diesels run infintely lean. They run maximum (allowable) airflow all the time, but only inject the required amount of fuel - governed mainly by your foot; Up to the point before it spews out clouds of smoke - which is where the ECU stops it injecting more fuel. There are safety margins for this, which the plug and play tuning boxes exploit).

Diesel efficiency is at its peak somewhere between 1500rpm to 2500rpm, be it a tiny shopping car or a huge truck. Simply due to the speed diesel burns. At these low speeds the ignition of the diesel reaches its maximum explosive force whilst the piston is still near the top of its stroke (just as it starts to go back down), so most of that explosive energy is contained in a small area and concentrates more force on the piston. But at high rpms like, 4000rpm, efficiency is lost as the piston starts it downward stroke before the fuel has reached its maximum explosive potential, so there is more space for the burning fuel to expand into, wasting that energy.

So, with common rail engines, the idea of improving both the economy and performance is to make use of this by injecting more diesel in the low rev range. Which is done by increasing the fuel pressure.

The difference between the two programs appear at the higher revs where the economy setting will return back to factory fuel rail pressures sooner than the performance setting. So it is possible to get better performance AND economy, so long as the revs are kept down.

Note that this is with common rail diesels. Engines that use a PD system (mainly VAGs) have tuning boxes which work on a totally different principal: And only can be tuned by increasing injection timing and duration, not pressure. So although power can be increased it won't make that much difference to economy (unless the unit is adjusted to reduce power).

Last edited by Shark Man; 28 August 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 28 August 2008, 11:46 PM
Al9
Scooby Regular

hi that the name of it, it is a plug n go box that u fit yourself supposedly in 5 minutes or they can fit it for.
Old 29 August 2008, 10:51 AM
zip929
Scooby Regular

See here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post8095018

Easy to fit and relatively cheap.