Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Scirocco

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2008, 04:11 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scirocco

I know there's another thread on here about the Scirocco, but I wanted to relay a story from today.

I popped into my local VW dealer to pick up my car that was in for an MOT, and saw they had the new Scirocco which I have been interested in since hearing about it. I thought I would ask about finance etc since I fancy changing my car soon. I sat down with one of the salesmen and that was it, he was off. He said there wouldn't be ANY offers, the price was the price. The finance rates would be 'good', but again NO great finance deals, as it's the Scirocco. I don't mind that this might be the case, but it was the way he said it. He went on to say that he couldn't guarantee any finance rates as the car wouldn't be with me for another 9 months if I ordered right now. 9 months? Is that really the case? I thought you would be looking at January, but oh well.

He continued with his sales pitch saying they had sold their allocation already, and people who'd bought GTIs three years ago were buying Sciroccos with no test drive etc because they know it's going to be great. Then he said he could put me on the list to take a cancelled order, but I would have to take what was given, and if I didn't there would be plenty of others who would.

I know these might all be valid points, and maybe the car is very popular, but in the end I just said "thanks, I'll give you a call next week to arrange a test drive", and left. I had the feeling he was making out he would be doing me a huge favour to let me buy one of his cars. It's a nice car, but it's only a VW at the end of the day. And there are plenty of equally nice cars out there too.

Perhaps I should just try another VW garage or a different salesman?
Old 27 August 2008, 04:26 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Some people always play the big man, matey.....
Old 27 August 2008, 04:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical smug VAG, go elsewhere, you are buying a 20 plus grand car, not standing in line for some Soup, I am sure they are wonderful but there will be plenty available as the downturn continues. I have seen this time and again with VW and Audi Dealers, we have bought 2 brand new ones and they weren't that fantastic, they are living on past glories and reputation, the current Golf isnt as good as a Focus and Ford dealers are much more helpful. They cannot live on being a bit posher than a Ford or Vauxhall for ever.

I have not seen one in the flesh but the pictures don't do much for me.
Old 27 August 2008, 06:16 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Slightly off subject, but I don't consider VW to be ANY posher at all personally, if I was interested in a car of similar price and spec to the Golf GTi i would be going for the new Octavia VRS instead
Old 28 August 2008, 08:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well having one on order (4 weeks away hopefully) I can say that yes, no money can be offered off the Scirocco. 2 Dealers said the same. However, if you are seriously wanting one have a word with rick (RJM25R) from VW Oldham. He couldn't get me any money off the car itself, but has given me a couple little extra's that the other dealer couldn't do. He got me one for delivery late September, early October.

From what I know. Each dealer has been allocated a certain amount of cars for first allocation (Local dealer was 2 cars) but this might be different depending on size, location of dealer. Second allocation is November/December this year, I believe.

I think VW are playing their cards with the Scirocco in the same way they did when the MK5 Golf GTI came out, ie, limited availability. Golf GTI's were still demanding big money second hand compared to say the Focus ST, Astra VXR that were available anywhere. Buy a new Scirocco now, and in a year or maybe even 2 years residuals should be pretty good if there is a demand for the car. That's what i'm hoping anyway.

Obviously I've ordered mine without a test drive, but from reviews of the Golf GTI being certain Magazine's favourite Hot Hatch, and the Scirocco being lower with a wider track, it should be a very good car (reviews have all been positive). I've specced mine to approx £24,500. Would have been alot more if I'd ticked the SatNav option.