Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

probably the best burn i've ever had......

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2008, 12:27 AM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probably the best burn i've ever had......

with a vw mk2 golf!! laugh all you like but this was no ordinary mk2! it was the most clapped out street sleeper i had ever seen, yet he kept up with my sti v5 for ages! could hear is dump valve blowing off god knows how many times and know for a fact it's running a 1.8 20v turbo setup (s3 or tt) as he's a local lad.

have to admit i couldn't stop smiling knowing what had just happened! i used to be on the vw scene myself and show full appreciation to anyone who's built a quality performance motor!

so all scooby owners in west london beware of a greeny mk2!...... street sleepers are croping up all over!!
Old 22 August 2008, 12:30 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I think this fella has shocked a few people before, I recall a thread a while back about what is likely the same motor.

I, like you, love it when you come across a car like this. What tweaking cars is all about in my opinion.
Old 22 August 2008, 12:38 AM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

most defiantly! i personally get bored after thrashing newer and more well known performance motors and hope for something half decent to give me a test! when it's a classic hot hatch that makes you think 'what the f**k's in that' .... well, that what it's all about!!
Old 22 August 2008, 12:58 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mate of mine is building a mark 2 vr6 turbo not a million miles from you It's already vr6 powered and looks standard but he's got a gt35 to bolt onto it another mate has a 4 wheel drive mark 2 vr6 turbo and in under 500 miles it stripped 4th gear
Old 22 August 2008, 12:59 AM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

theres an old nova in my area running twin-webber carbs and damn its quick
Old 22 August 2008, 01:01 AM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
mate of mine is building a mark 2 vr6 turbo not a million miles from you It's already vr6 powered and looks standard but he's got a gt35 to bolt onto it another mate has a 4 wheel drive mark 2 vr6 turbo and in under 500 miles it stripped 4th gear
thats crazy! a mate of mine in uxbridge has a dragon green corrado vr6 turbo. estimated at around 270bhp. i think it's out with the superchargers for those v6 lumps!
Old 22 August 2008, 02:51 AM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Lad at work here has a VW golf V5 with a S3 engine strapped in currently running 350bhp.
Old 22 August 2008, 07:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfella
most defiantly! i personally get bored after thrashing newer and more well known performance motors and hope for something half decent to give me a test! when it's a classic hot hatch that makes you think 'what the f**k's in that' .... well, that what it's all about!!
When money is better in the C_o_b household, this is what I plan to do with the 205 GTI. maybe get a 1.9-2.0 MI16 block in there with a ruddy great turbo whacked on. keep the outside and interior totally standard. I fancy 200+bhp in something that weighs 900kg with interior complete
Old 22 August 2008, 07:42 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
When money is better in the C_o_b household, this is what I plan to do with the 205 GTI. maybe get a 1.9-2.0 MI16 block in there with a ruddy great turbo whacked on. keep the outside and interior totally standard. I fancy 200+bhp in something that weighs 900kg with interior complete
Defo go the 1.9 alloy block Mi16 route.

Don't turbo it though, will just spin the fronts. Get some twin webbers, strip it out. Cams, head and manifold work... mine was pushing 220 and flew .

Or just buy one that somebody else has done and save yourself 4 grand!
Old 22 August 2008, 07:48 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Defo go the 1.9 alloy block Mi16 route.

Don't turbo it though, will just spin the fronts. Get some twin webbers, strip it out. Cams, head and manifold work... mine was pushing 220 and flew .

Or just buy one that somebody else has done and save yourself 4 grand!
Sounds like a plan. I don't really ever want to strip it out though. I would prefer the car to remain as standard looking as possible, apart from the obvious (already done) big brake conversion, exhaust system upgrade, and then a mental engine set up. Maybe just another pipe dream of mine, but it's fun to think of the possibilities none the less
Old 22 August 2008, 08:00 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a plan. I don't really ever want to strip it out though. I would prefer the car to remain as standard looking as possible, apart from the obvious (already done) big brake conversion, exhaust system upgrade, and then a mental engine set up. Maybe just another pipe dream of mine, but it's fun to think of the possibilities none the less
Always fun to spend the fantasy budget .

Good luck with it... I still miss my little 205 despite the monster that the Type R is. Completely different drives.
Old 22 August 2008, 08:22 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't a black mk2 was it? Saw one once round Brands Hatch on a track day and it was pissing over everything there. Think it had a cage in it.
Old 22 August 2008, 10:11 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my mates got a mk 4 golf(i think) vr6, left him for dust in my wrx...
obviously his golf is not tuned... have seen a lot of small hatches down southend/basildon thats been turbo'd which are really nippy
wiley
Old 22 August 2008, 11:50 AM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

i was going along the other day and there was a 106 all over my rear end up a hill, heard him blowing off, must have had some cheeky little turbo conversion or engine transplant going on there! was rapid but pulled away from him in the end!
also a mate of mine had a MK 2 golf GTI 1.8 8Valve not turbo'd but had race spec head and cams and a 2 litre bottom end, full stainless exhaust and panel filter, embarrased a lot of cars especially an guy in a 4wd audi TT 225bhpo model, peed myself when i saw it as i was following behind him!!
Old 22 August 2008, 02:37 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reckon you'd be much better off putting in a GTI6 lump. Pug Performance ran a 13.1 (might have been 13.4 - but think it was 13.1) at The Pod a few weeks back in a 205 with one of these in it. £1500-1800 fitted I think.
Old 22 August 2008, 03:11 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

Well i have a scoob and its got a turbo on it.
Old 22 August 2008, 05:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deansscooby
Well i have a scoob and its got a turbo on it.

What do you want - a chocolate gold medal
Old 22 August 2008, 06:18 PM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfella
with a vw mk2 golf!! laugh all you like but this was no ordinary mk2! it was the most clapped out street sleeper i had ever seen, yet he kept up with my sti v5 for ages! could hear is dump valve blowing off god knows how many times and know for a fact it's running a 1.8 20v turbo setup (s3 or tt) as he's a local lad.

have to admit i couldn't stop smiling knowing what had just happened! i used to be on the vw scene myself and show full appreciation to anyone who's built a quality performance motor!

so all scooby owners in west london beware of a greeny mk2!...... street sleepers are croping up all over!!

My brother(johnnywrx) had a run in with a dark black/grey mk2 Golf that had a vr6 lump in it the other day and he said that that one was pretty quick that was in Hayes on the uxbridge road between the adam and eve pub down to shakespear avenue (by the wimpy)
Old 22 August 2008, 07:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I can help you with the polycarbonate and aluminium sheet if you need it. You can make your own windows for a fraction of the cost of advertised ones (youll have to bite the bullet and buy a thermoformed rear though).

In 2008, Id say avoid an MI16 engine like the plague. I had one new (well: a BX16v, which was virtually the same, especially as the last MI16s had hydraulic suspension) and it was brilliant, but theyre very problematic now. Id make it as light as you can first and then spend money on the engine later, if you must.
Old 22 August 2008, 07:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I can help you with the polycarbonate and aluminium sheet if you need it. You can make your own windows for a fraction of the cost of advertised ones (youll have to bite the bullet and buy a thermoformed rear though).

In 2008, Id say avoid an MI16 engine like the plague. I had one new (well: a BX16v, which was virtually the same, especially as the last MI16s had hydraulic suspension) and it was brilliant, but theyre very problematic now. Id make it as light as you can first and then spend money on the engine later, if you must.
With my impending repossession, it's a current pipe dream Simon. If I were to do anything to her, it wouldn't be strip it out. Probably an engine conversion, as I fancy a sleeper.
Old 22 August 2008, 08:07 PM
scottm
Scooby Regular

i used to own a saxo that was a bit of a sleeper it was running in the region of 250hp it embarased a few cars could do low 13 1/4's so not bad for a fwd
Old 22 August 2008, 08:15 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

What do you want - a chocolate gold medal
that makes sense. scooby forum on about **** VW
Old 22 August 2008, 08:19 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

One of our local lads has a std looking G60 with over 300bhp/ton. That shifts a bit.
Old 22 August 2008, 09:19 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way would be to look out for a 205 turbo technics, an alloy mi won't handle boost and the 2.0l cast block would be too costly and troublesome to modify.

There is a 405/406 2.0 8v turbo pug lump that some use, i went the expensive na route reboring the 1.9mi to 2.0l with forged pistons, high lift billet cams, dta ecu, jenvey tb's, she kicked out close to 220hp at one point and upset many a car, she was great fun, shame it was so damn unreliable but taught me so much about cars and their quirks.

rossi, 220hp with a road spec, no chance i was nigh on rally spec bar using silly cams as i wanted to keep her tractable, i find yours hitting 220hp very dubious unless the spec is greater than you imply, 200 at a push possibly 205.

Cob what about umm the 3.0v6 from the 406 pinin coupe, it's around 220hp and is about the same weight as a gti6 lump, i believe hilgie on 205 drivers has managed to squeeze one in.

YouTube - 205 V6

Last edited by hux309; 22 August 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 22 August 2008, 11:23 PM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

There was a black 306 gti6 (i think) at the rs owners club national day at donnington that was flying went past every focus rs in his sessions. The frs's were running about 270 bhp as well. That boy couldn't half peddle the pug
Old 23 August 2008, 12:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MI16 engines can suffer head gasket failure which is a bit of a shame, though look for the GTI-6 engine, its a peach really or you could go for the GTI-180 engine, that one aint too bad either

Tony
Old 23 August 2008, 08:30 AM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

post your **** Non Scooby Related
Anything Non-Scooby related here
Old 23 August 2008, 11:37 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deansscooby
post your **** Non Scooby Related
Anything Non-Scooby related here
If you haven't got anything constructive to add to the conversation Dean, **** off. plenty of threads get started in the wrong sections, all it takes is a moderator to move it, so stop whining. Christ on a bike

NOW>>>
Back on topic

I never knew you could shoe horn a V6 lump into a 205. Would it not suffer from heating issues due to the tightness of the engine bay? Wouldn't you need some sort of ventilation, i.e. louvers in the bonnet or something.

Indeed there are some real gems on the 205drivers forum. People on there really do know their $hit. Thing is, if and when I get sorted with all my legal work issues, I dunno whether I wanna get rid of the Pug and get a Scoob, or have both, and maybe tune the Pug as a sleeper. That would be a little mis-forgiven... a scoob as a daily runner, and a mentally tuned 205GTI as a weekend toy. How ironic

Dunno, I still enjoy the lure of sticking a turbo engine under there, even if it mean't a lot of work. I'm addicted to boost from my Scoob days

Old 23 August 2008, 11:57 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally if you want a turbo that much id just wait for your situation to get better and get another scoob, the pugs unreliability will wane on you eventually, it's why i got rid of mine in the end although the more you tune a car the more things will shake apart or come loose, it's the nature of the beast.

No diea what's involved in fitting the v6 but there's also a goodwood 309 that has one as well, jeram i think his name is.
Old 23 August 2008, 03:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Personally if you want a turbo that much id just wait for your situation to get better and get another scoob, the pugs unreliability will wane on you eventually, it's why i got rid of mine in the end although the more you tune a car the more things will shake apart or come loose, it's the nature of the beast.

No diea what's involved in fitting the v6 but there's also a goodwood 309 that has one as well, jeram i think his name is.
Probably will end up in another Scoob. Since passing my test in 2006, they are pretty much all I have ever driven, and are in my blood.

But by the looks of it, I won't be in one for a while as I'm destined to be stuck in some minimum wage job for a long time.

Quick Reply: probably the best burn i've ever had......