Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra Coupe Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 10:21 AM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astra Coupe Turbo

I was behind one of these recently from a standstill onto a dual carriageway in my Classic Impreza and I was amazed that I wasn't really gaining on it.

Today I looked in my rear view mirror and the same car was behind me. It was exactly the same scenario as we accelerated onto the dual carriageway again. I noticed in my rear view mirror that neither of us were quicker than the other!

Are they usually this quick, as mine should have about 50bhp more than a standard coupe Turbo
Old 13 August 2008, 10:31 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T1000
I was behind one of these recently from a standstill onto a dual carriageway in my Classic Impreza and I was amazed that I wasn't really gaining on it.

Today I looked in my rear view mirror and the same car was behind me. It was exactly the same scenario as we accelerated onto the dual carriageway again. I noticed in my rear view mirror that neither of us were quicker than the other!

Are they usually this quick, as mine should have about 50bhp more than a standard coupe Turbo

assuming it's standard.
Old 13 August 2008, 10:47 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Trouble is the classic even with 260bhp (according to your View my Scooby link) ain't all that these days. The other manufacturers have caught up.

Remember there are transmission losses to take into account and the fact that when rolling some of the Impreza's perceived advantage has gone and you can see why things may have seemed even.

More mods I think
Old 13 August 2008, 11:12 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A buddy of mine used to own the SRI Turbo which has the same engine, Having drove it a few times it was just as quick as my 260bhp Classic once rolling, despite what people say they handle pretty well - ok not as sure footed as a Scoob and i wouldn't like to hustle them too much in the wet as they have traction issues but in the dry they were fine.

My mates seemed to have almost as much midrange acceleration but unlike mine that ran out above 5500rpm his SRI had another kick at 5000.

A lot better on fuel too.
Old 13 August 2008, 11:49 AM
T1000
Scooby Regular

That's reassuring, I had no idea they'd be that quick. By the way Cookstar, I'd be pleased if it wasn't standard as it would make me feel better but judging by the exhaust back box the last time I followed it, it was a standard :-S For all I know it could have been remapped though.

Until now I haven't really seen many cars that have kept up with my Impreza but that Astra certainly did. I've always thought that Imprezas had better acceleration figures than Astra Turbos. Just goes to show that you can't really on data alone!

F1 fan, I think that's a good idea. Although I'm not sure what mods will be the next step without resorting to expensive new turbos etc. I guess 300 bhp would make mine more difficult for an Astra coupe to stay with.
Old 13 August 2008, 12:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate of mine has an 888 Coupe and that is 300 bhp, its mental but a pretty horrific ride.
Old 13 August 2008, 04:29 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

My wifes Zafira GSI has the same engine circa a conservative 200bhp. Having owned many scoobs I can honestly say that once rolling its as quick as a standard UK scoob, and would be little in it even a midly modded scoob.

Off the line they are rubbish as you can't get the power down and it you squirt it too hard in second as you come out of a rounabout it will loose traction badly and can loose the edge. But with experience of FWD and driven well it is a quick car, and once rolling it is very quick. It pulls hard right through the revs until the red line and will take you all the way to silly speeds with little effort. It fairly quiet in the way it does it as well with no over noisey exhaust or big induction noises. So is a bit of a sleeper.

Best thing of all is there is virtually no lag with them and instant power. Its like having a PD 130 diesal but with loads more power and shed loads more revs. Cracking engines and even standard are on the very limit of what I would want in a FWD drive car.

Scoobs come into there own in the twisties. You have to be very brave to push a 200bhp FWD drive punchy turbo charged car to its limits in the twisties, but any numpty (sorry) can drive a scoob very fast in the twisties.

Having done many a dyno day with scoobs. You also have to factor not many scoobs are pulling the power they claim/think and as stated you have 4wd losses to consider.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 13 August 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: ....
Old 13 August 2008, 05:39 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info RobEvo5. They're obviously very good engines and understated cars. It's strange that cars like the Imprezas, Evos and Cosworths have such a reputation for their performance but cars like Astra Coupe or SRi Turbos don't, and aren't usually regarded as the same performance category.

I guess it's due to the rallying heritage that Imprezas etc have. Despite being impressed with the performance of the Astra Turbo I won't be chopping my Impreza in for one as there's more to the driving experience than just striaght line speed :-)
Old 13 August 2008, 06:00 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T1000
Thanks for the info RobEvo5. They're obviously very good engines and understated cars. It's strange that cars like the Imprezas, Evos and Cosworths have such a reputation for their performance but cars like Astra Coupe or SRi Turbos don't, and aren't usually regarded as the same performance category.

I guess it's due to the rallying heritage that Imprezas etc have. Despite being impressed with the performance of the Astra Turbo I won't be chopping my Impreza in for one as there's more to the driving experience than just striaght line speed :-)
T1000 it is a pleasure to read a thread regarding another 'competitive' car and to have the scoob owner reacting in a very considered and well balanced manner. Fair play mate - plenty would have rubbished the Astra regardless
Old 13 August 2008, 08:42 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

both are rubbish!