Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone here owned a Nissan 200SX/sylvia?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2008, 03:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone here owned a Nissan 200SX/sylvia?

As the title. Would think about getting one imported, although I suppose that would be a "Sylvia", because I really fancy one for a drift/track car.

What are they like reliability wise? What things go wrong(as all performance cars have weak points)?

Just looking for any opinions in general

Thanks, Alan
Old 03 August 2008, 10:19 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not owned one but read up on them alot as i was going to buy one till the other half said they were too ugly to have

Engine wise they are pretty much bombproof, only thing to change is the timing chain at about 100k and they are good for 300bhp with bolton mods.

Honestly, while i love my octavia i always wish that i had bought one everytime see one
Old 03 August 2008, 10:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Hold on,let me get this straight

Mrs Matt barred you from buying a 200SX on the grounds of it's looks, then let you buy an Octavia
Old 03 August 2008, 01:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeef
Not owned one but read up on them alot as i was going to buy one till the other half said they were too ugly to have

Engine wise they are pretty much bombproof, only thing to change is the timing chain at about 100k and they are good for 300bhp with bolton mods.

Honestly, while i love my octavia i always wish that i had bought one everytime see one
Thanks. I'm only really worried about major problems. Like an engine rebuild on a subaru for example. So far I've gathered that there isnt really anything like this to worry about on a 200/sylvia
Old 03 August 2008, 02:39 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Naa they dont seam to have any major issues.
Seams like the common things were turbo to exhaust gaskets going.

Cris - The Octavia isnt that bad a looking car. I think that her exact works were that the 200sx look like a barge as its so big for a 2 door car. Never understood the comment myself but i never really understood woman when it comes to comments about what cars look good
Old 05 August 2008, 12:52 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Owned an S14a for a few years. They are pretty bombproof and fairly easy to get up to 300bhp.

To get that power and use on track/drift (which is what I did to mine), budget around £4000 on top of the car for engine mods, suspension, roll cage and brake mods - unless you do well second hand bits!
Old 05 August 2008, 11:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by mattbeef
but i never really understood woman
You're not alone there fella
Old 06 August 2008, 12:29 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I had one too. totally standard car apartfrom a boost controller and only the turbo gaskets let me down. Cost me upwards of 400 though.
here is what I did with it
Rhodri Tippett's Photos - My cars over the years. | Facebook
astraboy.
Old 06 August 2008, 12:42 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by astraboy
I had one too. totally standard car apartfrom a boost controller and only the turbo gaskets let me down. Cost me upwards of 400 though.
here is what I did with it
Rhodri Tippett's Photos - My cars over the years. | Facebook
astraboy.
Some good photos there mate and I did like that car because it was so simple
Old 06 August 2008, 10:08 AM
BigJames
Scooby Regular

I know a good few people with S14/14as and they have had problems with the bottom end going on the SR20DET. In fact I know of a company where every employee has had at least one - and only one hasnt had the bottom end go! The engines are easy/cheap to source 2nd hand though
A colleague has an S13 which is fairly bombproof - even if the lifters do make it sound like its about to blow up!
Old 06 August 2008, 10:52 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at these lately as a bit of a project for next year sometime, as the Octavia is boring me to tears already and I fancy a swap to RWD. Only thing is I keep veering towards the PS13 Silvias, and I can't afford one of those

Is the 'Sileighty' front end conversion easy to do? Heard there's a little bit more work involved that the simple Impreza facelift?
Old 06 August 2008, 12:10 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hope over to Nissan SX Owners Club mate - best place for advice on that stuff
Old 06 August 2008, 07:57 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Kin ell

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Some good photos there mate and I did like that car because it was so simple
Nice jubblies on her mate
Old 07 August 2008, 03:03 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

I owned an s14 for 2 years and loved it. only got rid of it for the subaru. Engines in them (sr20det) are pretty much bombproof. turbo gaskets and noisey vvt solenoids are common place as for the bottom end issues on them thats normally the older ca18det on the s13. very easily tuned and when set up right can really put a smile on your face. but they will bite now and again, my old one was killed by the new owner in less than a month in the wet . the sxoc is a good place as well, i still frequent there forumn for some banter. hers my old one
Old 10 August 2008, 09:07 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
I've been looking at these lately as a bit of a project for next year sometime, as the Octavia is boring me to tears already and I fancy a swap to RWD. Only thing is I keep veering towards the PS13 Silvias, and I can't afford one of those

Is the 'Sileighty' front end conversion easy to do? Heard there's a little bit more work involved that the simple Impreza facelift?
the sileighty, that is the car that has a silvia back end and a 180 front or is it the other way round
Old 10 August 2008, 09:40 PM
AdamR
Scooby Regular

2 mates of mine have them and they are both in sheds with knackered bottom ends. Both of which are S14a's. One has a genuine 62000miles and the other has 84000. Another chap i know has one as a drift car. It has hammered out the big ends twice in 2 years. Both times requireing the crank to be renewed aswell.

A 2nd hand engine will cost upwards of £1000 due to drifters buying and blowing them up.

Also beware of standard SR20de's being turned into SR20det's. They will not last.

I really wanted one for some rwd fun but after there woes i bought an MR2 turbo instead. No good as a drift car but good fun all the same!