Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra 3.0 N/a, with auto box..what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2008, 12:37 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Supra 3.0 N/a, with auto box..what do you think?

given the current climate, with cars not selling, and fuel cost soaring, i am thinking about being stupid..(AGAIN!!)

i am looking to buy a perfect silver example to go on the drive with my impreza..(and to P*ss of the neighbours!!)

any body had any experiences with these beastes from the east?
Old 11 July 2008, 11:10 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Which model ? Mkiii (pop up head lights ) or mkiv (big whale tail ) ??

I have both, Ive got 2 mkiii turbos and a jdm facelift mkiv twin turbo. Mkiii's suffer from headgasket issues, rear wheel arch rust, front ball joints, and cooling issues. However they are tremendous carsm great cruisers and eat miles. One of mine is currently around 200K

Mkiv dont really suffer from much, Ive had mine for over 6 years and the only thing that has broke was the ariel. Not as solidly built as the mkiii, but a true sports car.

Neither car is fuel friendly. And, if you really want a supra, then the turbo model of either the mkiii or mkiv are the ones to go for. The doesnt really give you much saving on fuel, insurance or servicing, so might as well go for the turbo.

All my cars are auto, and Ive never had any problems. The manual / automatic arugment tends to boil down to individual choice, and for me I love the auto. The mkiv auto is a peach !

SBK
Old 11 July 2008, 11:32 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Drove both 3.0 N/a and Twin turbo auto mk4 and 3.0 N/a is absolutely gutless for a 3 liter and still drinks lots of petrol when you try and push it.

Twin turbo is much better acceleration wise, but still feels alot slower than a classic sti though, but they are much heavier though.

If you are worried about petrol i wouldnt buy any of them. If you are not then the twin is the way to go, as sbk says supras are nice motorway cruisers and are very easy to get extra hp from. Automatics hold up to 400bhp, but the manual is a work of art and is known to hold extreme ammounts of ponies - some even claim 1000whp on standard box. Standard engine is good for around 800hp.
Old 12 July 2008, 12:59 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers guys, the one that i was looking at is really for the pose factor..its the wale tale version, TBH i do not think that i can handle a twin turbo, rear wheel driven monster!..the impreza is a handfull at times, petrol is not an issue as of yet, part and parcel of everyday life..things go up in price..you don't just stop buying it, if you really need it!!..

the car itself is an absolute stunner..in silver with unmarked 19's..it would just look so pretty parked nose to nose with my other 'half'...

i know that they are bullet proof..with the metal gaskets etc, etc..just needed to know of there were any pitfalls associated with ownership..?

i will let you know how i get one chaps..
Old 12 July 2008, 09:31 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

I dont agree with you saying a TT manual is a lot slower than a classic STI, once rolling the supra TT's really really shift. Ive also had a NA mk4 manual nice car very cheap to buy at the moment with similar pace to a honda civic type r so not too bad. I really cant see big cars getting much cheaper tahn they are atm.
Old 12 July 2008, 10:27 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

Do love the look of the supras, dont they cost an arm and a leg to service etc
Old 12 July 2008, 11:25 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Whilst owning my supra tt, I also had a sti version 6 type R. I had the engine played with, and it was pushing out about 320 bhp. My brother and I used to race the subaru and the supra together, to see what the differences were. My supra has also been bpu, and runs around 351bhp.

0-80 the sti would just be in front of the supra, 80+ the supra would start to catch up and over take it. The sti 's accerlation felt incredible, a real push back in ur sit affair i.e. power was either on or off, were as the supra felt more smoother.

Grip wise, yep the sti felt more planted in the wet or dry, but the supra felt more of a drivers car, i.e. the sti hid / covered up many driver errors. THe supra was a more relaxing driver, as the suspension on the sti would bounce you all over the place.

Fuel wise, both were as bad as each other, and I mean bad ! If you have either of these cars then prepare to be skint. I used my supra as a daily runner, going from Worthing, to Wallington (south london) for work. I was burning over 2 tank fulls a week, back i nthe day when petrol was 94p a litre. Being a JDM, super unleaded is the only fuel these cars take. At the time I didnt think was too bad, as I traded in my pajero evolution for the supra. That truck, round 300bhp, was drinking nearly a tank a day !

I eventually sold the sti as it wasnt as reliable as the supra. Also driving it for long distances I found it more tiring.

As for power, any car can be a hand full if not respected, especially in the wet. The supra, in the dry, is amazing, but in the wet, well you just have to respect it, be gentle off the roundabouts.

If your on a budget, near cars should be considered.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 12 July 2008 at 11:28 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2008, 11:48 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks for the info SBK1972, very informative,(nothing less from this site), well i hope fully should be getting her some time late next week...looking forward to it, it was always a car that i really liked, but never quite got round to ticking the "owned box"...i must admit they have such a scary road presence, its just the wide arsed stance, with flared arches at the back..mmmmm...i like big butts and i cannot lie..!

will post pics up as soon as i have her in the drive...

cheers for the info guys..
Old 14 July 2008, 08:03 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Dont get the supra, worst possible combination n/a and auto unless you just want to look pretty.
Old 14 July 2008, 08:13 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

is it from a guy called olly or someone using the email youngscars by chance?plus raced an auto NA supra at crail many moons ago in my astra,guy only broke into the 16's once all day...very slow
Old 14 July 2008, 10:09 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Red face

evvaux you have PM....
Old 14 July 2008, 10:10 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

answered
Old 14 July 2008, 11:06 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

much obliged....!
Old 15 July 2008, 11:53 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

For any help, issues or parts, use this site :- The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best of luck with the car.

SBK
Old 16 July 2008, 03:07 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers dude, i have joined, and have sent the link of the car for the boys and girls on the forum to have look at, to see if they recognise her..