Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Mondeo - impressions after 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2008, 03:04 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mondeo - impressions after 3 months

2500 miles up in a new Mondeo estate (2.0 TDCi Zetec manual), so here’s a quick report.

Recently done a 700-mile motoring holiday and in terms of handling, ride and noise suppression it really is good. Very very quiet inside, road or wind noise just don't get in.

As with all Mondeos, driven normally it's very safe. But push it hard and the responses get sharper, and it becomes neutral with a bit of throttle-off tuck in. Nice

Engine performance is punchy and it seems to be freeing up nicely, even in 6th gear (2000rpm at 70mph) there's real pull if you poke the throttle.

Economy (brim-to-brim, not by computer) is 42mpg so far, which is about half open road and half town work. Not bad for such a big barge.

The family rate it very highly -- the kids especially praise the 'massive legroom that lets them stretch right out' and the fact that 'it's dead smooth'. The interior is ginormous, the bits you see and touch are very nicely done.

Some people have criticised the driving position. It's true you do need to raise the seat up in order to see the corners of the car but there's a massive range of adjustment, so it's easy to get comfy. One bonus is the driver's footwell is huge, with loads of room either side of the pedals so no risk of cramp on longer drives.

Overall, I'm pleased with it.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:29 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I like the look of them, good to hear they drive well too
Old 14 May 2008, 06:43 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

if it's good enough for Bond.........
Old 15 May 2008, 01:37 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Well I think you've missed a couple of obvious faults with the car that I found within 10 minutes. I had one for 17 days as a hire car due to my clio being written off.
First thing I noticed is the handbrake. Its infront of the huge centre console which is too high, when putting the handbrake down I was bending my wrist and scraping it over the console. In the end I just had to leave the console open so with the lid out the way there was more room.

Second, the elec window switches were hard to hit in a hurry as they are placed behind the door handle arm thing.

Third, the silver dash bit with the stereo etc caught the sun quite easily and I found that it could practically blind you if you got the sun at the wrong angle. Like someone shining a bright torch in your face.

However, I must say the car was very luxurious to drive and I was very impressed. The Mondeo seems huge to me! Fits adults in the back with plenty of room. Huge boot.
I had the 2 litre petrol version and I poodled the whole time and could only get an average of 29mpg. I know its a heavy car but I didn't think that was too good.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:30 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Did 5hrs in a 2litre Modeo Estate Titanium X 5 speed. Very impressed overall - massive inside. Super smooth, excellent handling and grip. Seems to absorb bumps serenely well but still have extremely low body roll and decent body control. Was impressed.
Engine way too small - needed rev'd to make any prgress and has an odd weedy exhuast note. Spoilt the car.

Came back in a TDCi hatch. Much better with the 6th gear and some torque on the M'way. Made it feel even smoother - seemed torquey enough and felt effortless (about 200bhp down on my usual so I'm rubbish at judging power these days)

As a family car and with the right engine I really couldn't fault it. Just a little sharpening of the plastic quality but then thats why you pay 30% more for an Audi and get less space and worse handling.

Last edited by skinters; 16 May 2008 at 01:33 PM.