Pug 406 rad/hose problem

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2008, 10:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pug 406 rad/hose problem

My old sh1tter of a 406 has a leak.
bottom rad hose/rad connection, blowing past the joint.

Called the stealer and they want some 48.92 for the hose - its a hose ffs!

Got me thinking, blowing past the joint so just tighten the clip, well guess what no jubilee clip, it is onto a plastic fitting into the rad and it (according to the 406 forum) has o rings and a wire clip arrangement to seal/hold it in place.

I have never heard of anything like this before, last time i changed a hose it has jubilee clips.

Has anyone done one,whats involved and will just changing the o rings and fitting a clip be worth a shot. I am guessing the clip has corroded through/come off.

Tried the 406 site it is not busy and not getting an answer as such. I would like to try and get it done today if i can as it is now dropping 2l of ater/coolant every 20 miles!

It is a 406 2.1td 1998

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 May 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the rad on my 97 V6, IIRC it did have wire clips with lips on the radiator fitting. I'm sure you could find something to replace it with, but be careful not to overtighten if you use a jubilee clip given that the radiator fittings were not metal IIRC.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

....and I still have the original refurbished radiator and the radiator john changed it for sitting in my shed should you need them or anything from them
Old 12 May 2008, 06:05 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

ive just changed a rad on a 306 same kind of thing its all part of the pipe you twist it and the clips each side move up then you can pull the pipe out, it broke when i was doing the 306 but the new pipe was only 20 quid, if its just the o ring (i would imagine they are available from stealers seperate) and you can get the pipe off with out it breaking it would be really easy to do, i thought it was stupid as well every over rad i've ever done had jubilee clips
Old 12 May 2008, 06:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thanks cahps, tonights the night i take it to bits, i would leave it 'till the weekend but need the car for work, we work in opposite directions seperated by 25 miles or so.

OK the Stealers said the orings come in packs of five, they rarely use them so i must buy all five - cost £6.92p - for friggin' o rings and they need to order them, 1-2 days. Bought a selection for .25p each from a local factors

I was disgusted with the service and attitude, spoke to the DP who said it was policy in cases like this. Last time i will deal with them unless really stuck Bristol Street Motors just could not give a **** about CS.

cheers again
Old 16 May 2008, 09:44 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up FIXED

Fixed!

The fitting is called a conrad fitting - bit like a large automotive type airline connector with a retaining clip to hold it in place.

the lot was rusted and pitted to buggery thus letting water past.

The proper fix would be a new rad and hoses, some £ 300.00 from Pug.

My fix involved hermetitie instant gasket, new o-ring and some instant plastic to strengthen the fitting.

The instant plastic was fun, not seen it before, got it from Halfrauds.
about 5 inches long 3/4 inch i diameter, cut off a section and kneed it together for 5 min's so the two compounds mix then form into shape. Brilliant.
Heat, cold, water and chem resistant. Just the job.