Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Saxo 1.6 8v

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2008, 10:07 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saxo 1.6 8v

Looking at getting one of these for the mrs. It is an auto and not expensive but does anyone know when the cambelt should be done and how much? Need to factor a few things into the potential purchase cost!

The brakes are also very weak on it. I thought these things stopped on a 5p so what sort of cost are we looking at for decent discs/pads fitting? Actually, how much for a major service full stop?

The engine seems to pull ok but is a bit rattly. I'm putting it down to age unless anyone knows differently...

Sure a few people on here have had these, just don't want to get a lemon, no matter how cheap it is!

5t.
Old 21 April 2008, 10:53 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
Looking at getting one of these for the mrs. It is an auto and not expensive but does anyone know when the cambelt should be done and how much? Need to factor a few things into the potential purchase cost!

The brakes are also very weak on it. I thought these things stopped on a 5p so what sort of cost are we looking at for decent discs/pads fitting? Actually, how much for a major service full stop?

The engine seems to pull ok but is a bit rattly. I'm putting it down to age unless anyone knows differently...

Sure a few people on here have had these, just don't want to get a lemon, no matter how cheap it is!

5t.
My mate's missus had a saxo - said he'd never worried about the brakes though - prob. needs new discs and pads, or maybe the system needs bleeding? My wife's Seat Leon had apalling brakes when I first test drove it - the dealer bled the system - nothing more, and the difference was incredible - they're fantastic now.
The Saxo should stop well - standard stoppers should be up to the job (esp. if it's a VTR?).

If you have a major service don't take it to a dealer - it's daylight robbery. They wanted £350 for a clutch - I sent my mate to Mr Clutch in Maidenhead and saved him £175!

Engine shouldn't be that rattly. My second car was an F-reg Citroen AX GT - had it for nearly 5 years (admittedly that was between 1996 and 2001) and in that whole time it never broken down; weighed nothing, lots of pull low down - great fun (read lots of wheelspin lol)! Engine never rattled in all that time.

Parts-wise, they tend to be cheap - there are loads of em in scrap yards so second hand parts should be relatively easy to source, plus German, Swedish and French supply original or copy parts for relatively low costs.

Do expect it to be flimsy though - if it's anything like the 106 (same engine wise - don't know about body), the trim clips will probably snap at some point - my wife lost her 106's rain channels off the roof on the motorway because they warped, and one of the bump strips came off the driver's door because the plastic plugs holding it on snapped off (all this on a 4 year old car!).

A fair few Saxo's will have been thrashed, although if it's an auto I'd be surprised - wouldn't be most boy racer's auto of choice

Good look with it.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 April 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:01 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Well it's an auto and not a vtr or anything, only the basic spec inside and still has the plastic wheel trims. Few dings on it but the important thing is the costs to fix a few bits - old used car like this will be getting an oil change and filters etc from me but i'm not confident on the cambelt. Brakes really are poor so i was thinking new discs/pads and fluid although the rear drums might be part of the problem!

I just know very little about these cars but i don't think they have a history of unreliability. It has done near 80k though.

5t.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:17 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

No matter what the bargain, I think you can do better than that! There are lots of potential problems with a normal saxo [mainly consumables], but adding a gearbox to the mix of potential trouble makers isn't worth it IMO.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:22 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... any recommendations?

Has to be an auto (she only has an auto license as she is disabled)

Prefer smaller rather than larger

BUT has to have a decent motor in it capable of hills and distance on motorways

Two doors better for access than four

Needs to be cheap

Ok on insurance...

We've looked at Golfs and all sorts. Basically, nothing bigger than a mondeo!

5t.
Old 21 April 2008, 12:20 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Needs to be cheap

Ok on insurance...

5t.
We replaced the wife's 106 with a Seat Leon 1.6S after she stuffed hers into the back of an stationary Audi A4 (don't ask!).
The crash, although only at a speed of 35mph caused an immense amount of damage to the 106 and wrote it off - it actually frightened me and made me very glad she hadn't been on the motorway; she was resolved to get a bigger car after seeing the damage caused. If it had been a Smart I think it could have been REALLY nasty!

I can't really say enough good things about the Leon. It's based on the same chassis as the Golf and the Skoda Fabia (I think), switch gear is all similar or identical too, so the only real difference is the shape. I think we paid something like £5495 for a '53 plate with only 17k on the clock (this was last May).

Engine pulls very well, esp. at the top of the rev range, fairly solid interior and it's very VERY easy to drive - gear change is one of the easiest and smoothest I've encountered bar a Nissan Primera. Tons of room in the boot as well.

You're essentially getting a golf for cheaper money (just not as pretty ). Skoda is cheaper still, but you'd have to live with the badge

You could also do worse than looking at the Ford Focus for an everyday family car - write up's suggest they've been one of the most reliable Ford models.

What are you looking to spend? To be fair, I'd avoid higher mileage French cars as I've found that post 70k a fair few things go wrong and they tend to get progressively more expensive to fix.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 April 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 12:50 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Needs to be cheap

Ok on insurance...

5t.
Have you looked at a Daihatsu YRV F-Speed or Turbo? Currently own the Turbo which are all Autos, with 130BHP, Tax is quite reasonable at the moment costing £140 a year and Insurance Group 8. The F-Speed (non-turbo 85 BHP) is Group 6 with a lower tax, both are 1.3 litre engines and have 5 doors. A few on Auto trader at the moment.
View My Sccoby to see my Yellow YRV Turbo to get an idea.
Old 21 April 2008, 12:57 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

i would normally avoid France and Italy as purveyors of higher mile reliable cars but there isn't much about in an auto.

She doesn't want a loan so no more than 2k really which also puts a lot of things out of the price range.

I would also prefer her to have a larger car but getting a parking space that it could fit in near her work is a nightmare (i struggle to find an empty space that will accept the scoob) so smaller is better from her point of view!

proper stuck!

5t.
Old 21 April 2008, 01:58 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

1998 HONDA CIVIC 1.6 i LS,
Price: £1,295
Features:
58,000 milesAutomaticWhitePetrolHatchback1590 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
1998, 58000 Miles, Automatic. white, 5 door, service history, tax, tested, air con, sun roof, radio, power steering, central locking, remote alarm, drives very well, good condition for year, low miles. £1,295.

1998 HONDA CIVIC 1.6i ES 3dr Auto [AC] Hatchback
Price: £1,395
Features:
70,000 milesAutomaticRedPetrolHatchback1590 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
Automatic, 70,000 miles, vetec, Red, elctric windows, elctric mirrors, elctric sunroof, power steering, central locking, aircon, driver & passenger airbags, alarm imobliser, cd/radio, very clean inside out, cloure coded bumpers, one year mot, 6 months tax, recently serviced, lady owner. £1,395.

1999 NISSAN ALMERA 1.6 GX 5dr Auto Hatchback
Price: £1,499
Features:
65,000 milesAutomaticGreenPetrolHatchback1597 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
Automatic, 65,000 miles, Green. 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Air conditioning, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking, Drivers airbag.it as no sterio. this is a nice car, it drives well, it is clean in and out.it is in good condition. it as an road tax till 30 september and also an m.o.t till april 13th 2009, and service history. call or mail for more info. £1,499.

1999 T Reg TOYOTA Corolla 1.6 GS
Price: £1,895
Features:
56,000 milesAutomaticRedPetrolHatchback1587 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 56,000 miles, RED. 12 MONTHS MOT, READY TO GO, Part Exchange Welcome, Full service history, Air conditioning, Electric sunroof, Alloy wheels, ABS, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Driver airbag, Passenger airbag, Folding rear seats. This car is in well above average condition for the year. It has a good service history and everything works ( inc the air conditioning). These cars are a great family car, they drive very well, are cheap to run and a typical bullit proof Toyota. Don't take my word for it though, come to see and drive for yourself. £1,895

2001 FORD FOCUS GHIA 5 DOOR
Price: £1,900
Features:
72,000 milesAutomaticGreyPetrolHatchback1596 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
HATCHBACK 1.6, 2001, Automatic, grey, 2 owners, 72k miles, 1 years Mot, 6 months road Tax, cd player, air conditioning, remote central locking, power stering, electric windows, fog lights, lovely drive, very good condition, pice only. £1,900.

1998 S Reg SEAT Arosa 1.4 MPi
Price: £1,995
Features:
51,000 milesAutomaticMetallic GreenPetrolHatchback1390 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 51,000 miles, Metallic Green. Demonstrator and 1 owner, Full Service History, Power-Assisted Steering, Radio Cassette, Rear Headrestraints, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Driver airbag, Tinted glass. £1,995

1999 T Reg DAIHATSU Grand Move 1.6
Price: £1,795
Features:
60,020 milesAutomaticSilverPetrolEstate1590 cc
Full Description:
Glossary of Terms
5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Petrol, 60,020 miles, SILVER. Central locking, Power assisted steering. Insurance Group:8, JUST HAD SERVICE AND TIMING BELT,SOLD WITH YEARS MOT AND THREE MONTH WARRANTY,DRIVES PERFECTLY £1,795

etc etc
Old 21 April 2008, 03:48 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The YVS looks good but can't see one cheap enough.

Cheers for the list andy. seen some of those on pistonheads, i've also been checking autotrader but most are a long way from scotland and she isn't one for buying unseen (been bitten before). Not looking for a Ford really, last one was a ford and gearbox went bang, common issue for mondeos apparently. Arosa a bit small but a Civic is what i've been trying to recommend to her.

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 21 April 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 07:35 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The YVS looks good but can't see one cheap enough.

Cheers for the list andy. seen some of those on pistonheads, i've also been checking autotrader but most are a long way from scotland and she isn't one for buying unseen (been bitten before). Not looking for a Ford really, last one was a ford and gearbox went bang, common issue for mondeos apparently. Arosa a bit small but a Civic is what i've been trying to recommend to her.

5t.
What about a Daihatsu Sirion? One on autotrader That I came across:

1998, 1 lady owner,1litre auto £1,450!

By the way Daihatsu = Part owned by Toyota! And they have been voted 3rd best manufacturer for most reliable cars:

Car poll honours Hondas | The Sun |HomePage|Motors

Last edited by jpor; 21 April 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 08:24 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Nice motor. Needs to be more than a 1litre though.

Anything we get we need to see first because she's disabled she needs to be sure she can get in and out ok. The Saxo, as funny as the build quality can be, is perfect for this. I just need to know how much a cambelt/brake service is and if the engines are actually any good. Other suggestions welcome of course!

5t.
Old 22 April 2008, 10:30 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Nice motor. Needs to be more than a 1litre though.

Anything we get we need to see first because she's disabled she needs to be sure she can get in and out ok. The Saxo, as funny as the build quality can be, is perfect for this. I just need to know how much a cambelt/brake service is and if the engines are actually any good. Other suggestions welcome of course!

5t.
What about a Suzuki Wagon R? A few on the trader just over a smidge of £2K range from 1.2 to 1.3 L.

Or an older model Swift?

Can't go wrong with a Japanese built car.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:07 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
What about a Suzuki Wagon R? A few on the trader just over a smidge of £2K range from 1.2 to 1.3 L.

Or an older model Swift?

Can't go wrong with a Japanese built car.
My thoughts exactly! Trying to push her down the civic route but finding a good two door auto at the right price is proving very difficult. forgot the Wagon R, parents used to have one actually!

cheers chap.

5t.
Old 23 April 2008, 11:58 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

To the Saxo's defence.

I ran 4 Saxos back in the day, a 1.1, VTR, VTS then a tuned VTS and did around 200k total across all 4 (the last VTS had 65k). Never had any mechanical issues with the engines or gearboxes despite the relatively harsh treatement particularly on the VTSs as a mid 20 year old), OK the build quality isn't strong (but then Subaru is also pants) but I didn't care and in many ways still don't. Go to France and see how many old French cars are still running - they may all look knackered but mechanically still going fine.

The VTS needed new front discs every 30k or so at a couple of hundred quid (back in mid/late 90s) but I used to be quite hard on brakes.

If you buy a good well treated car of any brand it should easily do 100k. If you mistreat a Honda/Toyota (supposed to be highly reliable) then they aren't going to fare well any more than any other brand.

I am pretty sure the cambelt was due at 5yrs or 60k, for a car of the age you are talking about look for a local to do the work as main dealers ain't that good value from my experience.

Any car sold to the yoof and has been modded so much by the yoof and therefore abused by the yoof is fundamentally sound

Last edited by Bakerman; 23 April 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:42 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

cheers bakerman. good info on the brakes. shouldn't be an abused model but you never know. at least there don't seem to be any major reported issues. if it's cheap i might let her go for it! (unless i find an A1 something else!)

5t.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:52 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

With the modded scene there are loads of 3rd party suppliers who will provide pattern parts cheaper than Citroen. Worst case is you buy it and either it goes wrong/don't like it so sell it again.

Obvious things to check for abused, rattly when cold/blows smoke when revd/check the service history for regularity of consumables etc etc.

Hard to believe and auto would have attracted the wrong kind of owner though.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:06 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

that's my thought. it is rattly, sounds a bit tappety, if it was a fiesta or something i wouldn't be bothered as they all do that but with a Saxo i'm no sure.

smoke free when reved though and starts fine from cold. oil looked clean but no history at all. hence first job service + cambelt and why i wondered what it might cost. May as well look for one with it all done if it is a fortune.

5t.