Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Citroen Picasso

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 10:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Citroen Picasso

Looking at something like this for the expanding family. Anyone own one of these? I gather they're quite roomy and cheap to run, but, being French will it be a reliability nightmare? Want to spend up to £2k, and undecided over which engine to go for, 1.6, 1.8 or the derv 2 litre.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:08 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Mrs D had 2.0 hdi for a few years, excellent economy just under 50mpg and spacious too (massive boot). Just don't expect an exciting drive..... it does what it should do, ferry people about in comfort. No issues with reliability (only issue was it did pop one small hose off the turbo when running a bit more boost )

D
Old 26 February 2008, 10:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Cheers Dunk, I'm after the most boring drive going as long as it's cheap to run, large enough inside for all the crap that 2 kids need and reliable.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:34 PM
met
Scooby Regular

yep weve got a 2002 2.0hdi, barring the frenchness, the odd loose bit of trim and not that solid feel etc its a fantastic car, no mechanical issues whatsoever, the diesel service intervals are 12k and the belts arent due for 100k miles! if you can stretch to a diesel? otherwise mates wife has a 1.6 model and its been no trouble and you can get rood racks on ebay for around £50 and with all the seats out its a great little van too
Old 26 February 2008, 10:47 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I presume you mean the Xsara Picasso and not the C4 Picasso?

Xsara Picasso aren't bad for the money, Typical PSA reliability. Glitchy electronic/electrics, nothing serious, but some things like the digital dash is pricey. Nothing falls off - so they aren't too badly built, although the interior door handles felt like it wouldn't take much effort .

It drives not much different to a 307SW...which is pretty good if a bit more lardy, if that. Drives far nicer than a Megane or Scenic (shake-ya-**** shape).

Biggest letdown is the sloppy gearchange (similar linkage issues as the pug 206)...especially on cars owned by enthustiastic baboons who think the art of gearchanging is to ram the thing into gear. A cared for model will not have too sloppy a shifter (pretty rare - seeing most are driven by women ).

1.6HDi 110BHP is the best engine of the bunch (faster and more powerful than the 2.0HDi, and better on fuel )

...very frugal on fuel and enough poke to chug along at 90mph up the steapest of motorway hills five-up in 5th gear without needing to floor the accelarator 90bhp 1.6HDi isn't bad either, just has a little less oomph, so don't rule that out.

Keep an eye out on the oil consumption on petrol models. The recent bunch of PSA petrol units can use a bit. But being honest, I'd avoid the petrol engined ones...the diesels are far better in every area.

Last edited by Shark Man; 26 February 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 12:06 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I'd like the 1.6 HDI, but they're a bit out of my budget. I think I'll plump for the larger engined, but older 2 litre derv model. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:22 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Make sure you're happy with the clutch as they're a weak point. Naturally v expensive at Citroen (c.£800) but reasonable at MrClutch c.£250.

D
Old 28 February 2008, 12:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sister is on her second one now, no problems with her's, mechanically or trim wise, shes had both the 1.8 petrol and 1.6 petrol, but the HDI is the one to go for if you can get it

Tony